[BOOK SPOILERS] Gendry and Melisandre Scene

teemo

Firstly: all of those who feel there needs to be a "justification" for nudity, I have trouble seeing as anything more than sex-phobic. Secondly: if one were to attempt to justify it, I would think it would have something to do with Mel's assertion that fear spoils the blood or something? Like she was talking about with the lambs? I don't know. Either way, I didn't have a problem with it.

I was confused. She told Stannis she wants to sacrifice him, told Gendry she will draw off his essence and make a shadow baby with him, then did the leech trick.

Its funny how a few weeks ago we were all arguing over whether she'd wanna burn him, shadow baby him, or do the leeches.

turns out everyone was right, she wants to do all three rolled into one.

Hated it. I'm usually okay with certain changes but Gendry is one of my favorites and this just messes with him too much for my taste. I really can't explain how many things are wrong with this scene...I am, for the first time in my life, lost for words.

Wait, wait, wait. Wouldn't creating shadowbabies with Gendry be a better option than leeches? Mel needs king's blood for shadowbabies presumably, so if Stannis is a spent force, why didn't she actually just have sex with Gendry?

Er...not like I'm trying to justify extra nudity or anything. Of course not. Hehehehehe....

I was neutral towards it. On the one hand, it was too obvious to me why they did it: they have quotas to fill. However, it was surely less unexpected to the new viewers who might've thought there was something besides leeches in the box. So this might have been one time where it was more than pandering (as they were going for the shock and switch factor), but it was still a bit weird - there's sure to be viewers wondering why they didn't send another smoke monster, for instance.

I love the "quota". It's just a pair of boobs being groped by someone with the sexual finesse of a 10th grader.

But seriously, don't have a problem with it at all. I agree with the sex-phobic comment.

And also, I would be freaking out too if someone dropped a leech on my donger.

Remember her scene with Stannis? She told him a lamb is tastiest when you show it a knife because the fear prompts their blood to rush like crazy, therefore soaking up the meat with blood. She ended the conversation by saying, I never show the knife.

Soooooooo instead of rising his blood by scaring the shit out of Gendry, she got his blood rushing by well.... ya know.

She placed the leeches as soon as Gendry was getting into it.

Poor dude, getting led on like that. At least the Bastard wasn't around to cut the fun!

Remember her scene with Stannis? She told him a lamb is tastiest when you show it a knife because the fear prompts their blood to rush like crazy, therefore soaking up the meat with blood. She ended the conversation by saying, I never show the knife.

Soooooooo instead of rising his blood by scaring the shit out of Gendry, she got his blood rushing by well.... ya know.

She placed the leeches as soon as Gendry was getting into it.

Poor dude, getting led on like that. At least the Bastard wasn't around to cut the fun!

She said that if the lamb see the knife it will panic, ruining the taste of the meat. That is why she never shows the lamb the knife.

I think they are just making Melisandre's show magic include sexy time. They have made her into kind of a vampire that leeches off the energy of others to perform her feats, whether the energy be sexual, or in the actual blood or body of a victim. Is that a good choice? Probably not. Do I mind seeing Carice van Houten naked? Definitely not, even if it is for a reason that is kind of strange.

Firstly: all of those who feel there needs to be a "justification" for nudity, I have trouble seeing as anything more than sex-phobic.

Sex-phobic? I watched Spartacus. It merrily threw in at least one scene of sex or nudity (but usually about five) in every episode and spent four seasons searching for ways to top the previously aired threesomes, orgies and brothel scenes. And despite looking like the fratboy show vs. the prestigious HBO GOT, it was still smarter about sex. Spartacus was the show you could have expected to focus only on naked women for its presumably teenaged/twenties male audience, yet it had absolutely no problems with balancing the inevitable female nudity with full frontal men and gay sex. Spartacus was honest about presenting sex as entertainment but it also had fun with it and said to hell with the viewers who are going to be uncomfortable with celebrating the male body as well as the female one. By comparison, GOT sadly seems lacking. They've been criticised for the imbalance before so this season we actually got to see Robb naked from the back and not just Talisa undressing, and Loras got another sex scene despite the protests about his two very mild scenes with Renly. But it's only small progress when the show still feels like it's far more interested in finding excuses to add more scenes of female nudity, vs. Spartacus which gladly undressed both male and female characters. The problem isn't sex, it's that in GOT most of the time it seems like such an artificial, cynical addition to make the show edgy and appealing to a stereotypically defined young male viewer rather than a realistic part of life or equal fun for all ages and both genders.

In general I approve of the change with Gendry taking Edric's place in the plot, but it was hilarious (yet, considering GOT's focus on sexy naked women, unsurprising) that they managed to combine the leeching with naked Melisandre. The spirit of SNL's 13-year-old boy was definitely present when they came up with this take on the plot (no Edric = no need to add an extra character, and hey Gendry is old enough for sex with Mel!!!) . I'm still interested in seeing how the rest of the arc plays out and hope it leads to good acting by Stannis and Davos, but this particular scene was more like a comedy interlude. Once it got serious, I did like the cut from the leeches to Joffrey having a drink.

Archived