[BOOK SPOILERS] Gendry and Melisandre Scene

teemo

Just wondering, why was Gendry so afraid of leeches? There really was nothing scary about them...

i would have definitely freaked out if she pulled out leeches like that.

Both book and tv why didnt stannis include tommen surely he knew if Joffrey dies tommen gets crowned?

but he hasnt yet.

Why was Stannis worried about Gendry? Why were they even considering sacrificing him when the leeches are so effective? Why not get more than 3 leeches.

If I recall correctly from the books, the leeches came from Stannis, the kings were killed then Mel went after Edric. I just keep asking myself why the scene with Davos and Stannis when Gendry was only to be leeched. I suppose the implication was that Stannis got Mel to change her mind. Oh well

A ) In the books Edric Storm was leeched, not Stannis

B ) Why Stannis went to Davos was exactly as Davos said, they both know it's wrong and Stannis wanted Davos to talk him out of it, and then in the leech burning scene Mel flat out states that Davos demanded some type of a demonstration, I don't get how this is confusing

C ) Stannis is a frighteningly just man, of course he'd be worried about sacrificing an innocent, he's facing the moral dilemma of sacrificing one for the sake of many (or so he thinks)

D ) They don't know leeched are effective, ergo the demonstration. In the books after the leeches they considered sacrificing Edric to wake a dragon, which is why Davos shipped him away, I believe same will happen in the show.

E ) 3 leeches because there are 3 kings other than him. There was never any explanation in the books for this either...

Both book and tv why didnt stannis include tommen surely he knew if Joffrey dies tommen gets crowned?

It was never really explained, but lets assume Mel could only kill people who have crowned themselves king, and Stannis loses Edric and changes his course of action before killing Tommen is considered.

Firstly: all of those who feel there needs to be a "justification" for nudity, I have trouble seeing as anything more than sex-phobic.

No, it's not sexphobic. It's asking for a reason as to why the source material had the leeches being "effective" when drawn from a nonsexed up 12 year old boy versus requiring Gendry to be sexed up to get the right blood. That's all. Changes are fine - many of them have been absolute successes, but some make people shake their heads as to why it was done and also sometimes as to how it was done.

One minor thing that did stick out to me was the order Stannis did them in. We know that he considers everyone not him wearing a crown to be a usurper, but it did lose a little bit of the oomf when Robb wasn't named last. We don't care about Balon...Joffrey is a shit...but Robb has had a lot more screen time, we've gotten into his head some, I think it would have added some strength to the scene to have it been "and the Usurper...Robb Stark."

I personally didn't mind this scene too much... yes there was nudity where there didn't HAVE to be, but really no scene ever HAS TO HAVE nudity, I was just glad the nakedness was plot building, the scene actually went some where. there have been too many other scenes with silly nudity which has not been plot building/advancing at all, people should worry about that... to me, pft ...I don't care about seeing a naked lady on TV, it happens so much now im very blasé about the whole subject... but ... you know, women watch this program too, we wouldn't mind seeing some nice male nudity, so far we have had shirtlessness and bare backs, there are three frontal nudity scenes I can think of in GOT which involved men, one Theon :wacko: two Hodor :shocked: and three some random dude Loras was getting it on with :dunno: ... hm doesn't seem very fair considering the amount of cunny ive seen on GOT so far.... I wasn't asking for much when I wished for maybe Robb or Jon to exercise a little freedom... but nakedness aside, I didn't mind this as much as I thought I would have, I was happy they kept the leaches, I don't see why so many people wanted her to make a shadow baby... really???? I don't know about anyone else but I don't want to see the same trick pulled over and over again. when GRRM decided to go with leaches and not shadows, no doubt he wanted us to see another side of the magic of R'hllor so it wasn't the same old boring move. I quite liked this addition to the story, I came to terms with the fact they wanted to use Gendry for this and waited to see how the went with it... all in all we havnt lost anything crucial in the plot so its ok. it was at least good for some giggles

I'm not sure why everyone's thinking Melisandre had sex with him to create another shadow baby, what do they need another one for this time? They already used the three leeches (thank the seven it wasn't those babies in jars afterall) and named each leech for the next three deaths - so who would the shadowbaby even be for?

Personally I think she had sex with him because A) He's hot, and B ) she wanted an easy way to get him tied up and uh...warmed up before doing the leeches.

I long ago gave up my annoyance that Melisandre from the books has been changed into some sort of succubus on the show. I think it really lessens her character a great deal this way but sex sells and the actress is hot in a very gothic sort of way so of course it works. She was a lot more mysterious and creepy in the books. I guess I just didn't really need my imagination bashed over the head like they do on the show, but it's ok, I still enjoy it a lot. And Gendry is hot too so I truly didn't mind a little Gendry eye candy there! :)

The problem for me was that the whole set up was so convoluted to set up a nude scene. Why was Stannis worried about Gendry? Why were they even considering sacrificing him when the leeches are so effective? Why not get more than 3 leeches.

If I recall correctly from the books, the leeches came from Stannis, the kings were killed then Mel went after Edric. I just keep asking myself why the scene with Davos and Stannis when Gendry was only to be leeched. I suppose the implication was that Stannis got Mel to change her mind. Oh well

You've got it backwards. Melissandre wants to a full king's-blood sacrifice. Stannis doesn't like the idea, but he's considering it. Davos talks mostly talks Stannis out of it. Melissandre then offers/accepts that she will provide proof of the potency of kings blood. So she leeches Gendry. When the usurpers end up dead, Mel will have proven her ability to Stannis and Davos. Then she will be allowed to sacrifice Gendry properly.

Firstly: all of those who feel there needs to be a "justification" for nudity, I have trouble seeing as anything more than sex-phobic. Secondly: if one were to attempt to justify it, I would think it would have something to do with Mel's assertion that fear spoils the blood or something? Like she was talking about with the lambs? I don't know. Either way, I didn't have a problem with it.

There has to be justification for every scene, sometimes nudity serves a purpose sometimes it doesn't, and overdoing it is as bad as overdoing any other artistic tool. Not saying i have a big problem with this particular scene, but saying someone is sexophobic because he thinks the nudity wasn't necessary seems rather rude.

I suppose it was a way for Melisandre to combine business and pleasure. I think we ought to be grateful that the scene didn't finish with Melisandre whipping out a knife, and emulating Ramsay in the previous episode.

While I don't quite get why Melisandre felt the need to seduce Gendry, I guess I can get on board with it... However, I just can't see Stannis being ok with her doing that kind of thing. I mean, surely it must seem like an unnecessarily cruel way to do the whole leech thing. Bastard or no, Gendry is his brother's son and someone that hasn't actually done anything bad at that. It just bothers me that Stannis in the show doesn't even properly question it.

I didn't understand the scene at all. The only bad part of a brilliant episode. I hate the whole taking Gendry to Dragonstone thing anyway, yet this scene seemed to make it even more pointless.

First she said don't show the lamb the knife, then she clearly scares him by leeching him against his will. Why did she need to use leeches on him anyway? Hasn't Stannis got any blood left now? And then of course, why would she need to have sex with him...

1. Sex is like a battery. They needed some adrenaline, and I doubt they'd make him run a marathon or have a Rocky montage in order to get him in the best position for blood extraction

Exactly, like last week when I went to give blood and the nurse had sex with me beforehand.

As in books there are no shadow babies , it's all Voodoo-like stuff, the three deaths , in fact could be considered as coincidental. They just hyped the sequence from the novel.

If Stanis had of been smart he would have gone after Tywin which would have been more effective.

But I guess you only get three wishes?!

(Of course the Tywin situation takes care of itself outside of any magical intervention.)

I would have put the triple whammy on The Great Other!

O yes seems they are condensing the Davos save , in this case Gendry, I can't remember from the novel that Stanis took an early interest in saving ... well Gendry in this case.

Tywin is not a usurper. He didn't declare himself to be a false king, he's just serving the king as hand. In technical terms Tywin serving a false king is not the same level of crime. Stannis is as much a technicality guy as you can get.

I'm not one to complain about nudity. I mean lets be real sex is fun, I'm all for it... but this???? Mel just wants to take a ride then do a leech fetish? I get the Littlefinger sex scene in S1 because... I mean because he is in a whorehouse afterall.... but this??

Archived