[BOOK SPOILERS] Gendry and Melisandre Scene

teemo

Just wondering, why was Gendry so afraid of leeches? There really was nothing scary about them...

Well, firstly I guess he was just afraid that the leeches are just a start and that Mel means to torture him, kill him, or slowly draw all of his blood, secondly, it's always scary to have things touching your genitalia if you don't want it, especially if it's living slimy things that drink your blood.

As soon as Mel walked in and gave him the look I thought 'ohh now I know why they got rid of Edric. Actually as soon as I saw him alone in a bedroom and knew Mel was coming. So predictable. Didn't like it, and not for the nudity or the fact there's no Edric (I'm happy with seeing more Gendry, but not in this way), but for the fact Gendry is being mistreated, where with Edric this was never the case. While perhaps not love, Stannis always showed a healthy respect to his family.

I don't think Mel needs to have sex with someone with King's Blood to make Shadow assassins (why else try to seduce Davos...?), but think about it, one assassin is just one kill, or so it has seemed to far, and they can't travel over water. So there's really no point in her having sex with Gendry, she could have easily just asked him hey here's some leeches, I'm sure Gendry wouldn't have minded, it's a small price... No instead they had to make this 5 minute awkward sex scene between two people who are just waaay too far apart in age.

Oh and well played HBO for setting it up so it seems like the RW is going to be Stannis' fault HBO, nicely done. *sigh*

I found this scene hilarious. The leech on the cock was the cherry on top. The excuse for the sex was so absurd I couldn't help but laugh. Being tricked into getting naked on a bed by a priestess known for human sacrifices isn't scary at all, right? :cool4:

Mel could just ask Gendry to endure a bit of the leeches for gold and put them on his arm. Simples, faster, easier... But then - no boobs. Not that I am complaining, it was an entertaining scene.

Just wondering, why was Gendry so afraid of leeches? There really was nothing scary about them...

I was thinking the same thing, leeches aren't all that bad, they don't do much harm, having one on your dick would be scary though.

I was confused. She told Stannis she wants to sacrifice him, told Gendry she will draw off his essence and make a shadow baby with him, then did the leech trick.

Its funny how a few weeks ago we were all arguing over whether she'd wanna burn him, shadow baby him, or do the leeches.

turns out everyone was right, she wants to do all three rolled into one.

As in books there are no shadow babies , it's all Voodoo-like stuff, the three deaths , in fact could be considered as coincidental. They just hyped the sequence from the novel.

If Stanis had of been smart he would have gone after Tywin which would have been more effective.

But I guess you only get three wishes?!

(Of course the Tywin situation takes care of itself outside of any magical intervention.)

I would have put the triple whammy on The Great Other!

O yes seems they are condensing the Davos save , in this case Gendry, I can't remember from the novel that Stanis took an early interest in saving ... well Gendry in this case.

As soon as Mel walked in and gave him the look I thought 'ohh now I know why they got rid of Edric. Actually as soon as I saw him alone in a bedroom and knew Mel was coming. So predictable. Didn't like it, and not for the nudity or the fact there's no Edric (I'm happy with seeing more Gendry, but not in this way), but for the fact Gendry is being mistreated, where with Edric this was never the case. While perhaps not love, Stannis always showed a healthy respect to his family.

I don't think Mel needs to have sex with someone with King's Blood to make Shadow assassins (why else try to seduce Davos...?), but think about it, one assassin is just one kill, or so it has seemed to far, and they can't travel over water. So there's really no point in her having sex with Gendry, she could have easily just asked him hey here's some leeches, I'm sure Gendry wouldn't have minded, it's a small price... No instead they had to make this 5 minute awkward sex scene between two people who are just waaay too far apart in age.

Oh and well played HBO for setting it up so it seems like the RW is going to be Stannis' fault HBO, nicely done. *sigh*

1. Sex is like a battery. They needed some adrenaline, and I doubt they'd make him run a marathon or have a Rocky montage in order to get him in the best position for blood extraction.

2. Davos demanded proof of her God's abilities. The leeches are a teaser as to what the Lord of Light can do. Hence why they are keeping Gendry alive for bigger things.

3. You are aware that Mel and Stannis burnt "effigies" of Rob, Balon and Joffrey in the books before any of the deaths occurred?

For record i would be uhh "hesitant" about leeches, having never been leeched myself. But he really didn't act like it was too bad once it was happening, except for the one on his dick (understandably)

And this is different from the book... how?

1. Sex is like a battery. They needed some adrenaline, and I doubt they'd make him run a marathon or have a Rocky montage in order to get him in the best position for blood extraction.

Not to mention there must have been quite a bit of blood flowing down in the... "third extraction site"

That's the only thing about the scene that bothered me, that it's too close to the RW and shifts the blame to someone else. (I haven't read the thread about the non-readers, but now it might also lessen the surprise?)

I expected the leeches and I didn't mind the way they handled it, the shadow babies wouldn't have worked and I'd rather see random naked scenes than see her give birth to that again (and three times, too, ugh)

You know, you could just have had Melisandre attach leeches on his arm or something. But no, we need the boob quota!

As others here have said, magic needs sexy time! (Actually, sex and pain/blood make magic more potent as Grant Morrison and Alan Moore have taught us)

The problem for me was that the whole set up was so convoluted to set up a nude scene. Why was Stannis worried about Gendry? Why were they even considering sacrificing him when the leeches are so effective? Why not get more than 3 leeches.

If I recall correctly from the books, the leeches came from Stannis, the kings were killed then Mel went after Edric. I just keep asking myself why the scene with Davos and Stannis when Gendry was only to be leeched. I suppose the implication was that Stannis got Mel to change her mind. Oh well

The problem for me was that the whole set up was so convoluted to set up a nude scene. Why was Stannis worried about Gendry? Why were they even considering sacrificing him when the leeches are so effective? Why not get more than 3 leeches.

If I recall correctly from the books, the leeches came from Stannis, the kings were killed then Mel went after Edric. I just keep asking myself why the scene with Davos and Stannis when Gendry was only to be leeched. I suppose the implication was that Stannis got Mel to change her mind. Oh well

They said it right on the screen...

Davos (and likely Stannis through Davos) wanted proof of the king's blood power from Gendry (he had already seen it from Stannis) so Melisandre decided to go with the leeches. She only got three leeches because she was not actually doing the killing of kings with them, she is had just seen the death of kings in her visions and was making it seem like this was the cause.

A shadow baby from Gendry was never part of the plan -- maybe on the show only Stannis himself can produce the shadow babies, or maybe she knows that making one at Dragonstone is useless due to the proximity issue between shadowbaby and its target.

Archived