[BOOK SPOILERS] Gendry and Melisandre Scene

teemo

I don't understand how anyone could NOT be scared of being leeched - it's not high up on the things a person wants to do before they die. Except the lord of the Dreadfort of course, but he's a sadistic bastard. I thought Gendry's fear was appropriate and reasonable, given the confused circumstances. He'd only met Melisandre a little while back, a woman who seems to know all about him, and she wants to feed, clothe, bathe and sex him? This is not a guy who's been dealt the best cards in life, so he's naturally skeptical. When she started heading downtown, he thought he was going to get sucked. He did, but in a completely disgusting way.

I don't understand how anyone could NOT be scared of being leeched - it's not high up on the things a person wants to do before they die. Except the lord of the Dreadfort of course, but he's a sadistic bastard. I thought Gendry's fear was appropriate and reasonable, given the confused circumstances. He'd only met Melisandre a little while back, a woman who seems to know all about him, and she wants to feed, clothe, bathe and sex him? This is not a guy who's been dealt the best cards in life, so he's naturally skeptical. When she started heading downtown, he thought he was going to get sucked. He did, but in a completely disgusting way.

The thing is, he's not skeptical when they feed him, bathe him, take care of him, send a super hot fanatic to have sex with him. And being skeptical about leeching is something totally different than yelling in horror at the sight of a few worms (though granted, when she dropped one on his junk i kind of sympathized).

I sense a hint of prudishness in the air. What fun is that? Love the Mel as succubus stuff. Unfortunately probably won't have the opportunity for it again until Jon Snow in season five.

I agree. They should keep putting in random sex scenes that don't make sense.

Mel can be naked all the time for all I care, but why have sex with Gendry? People have every right to discuss why they choose to cut good scenes and lines from the book and put pointless sex scenes in instead without having that stupid 'prude' term tossed about when anyone says anything negative at all about sex scenes.

They are turning Mel into a whore

Does she need to seduce everyone?

This is offensive. If a male character slept with a lot of women, he wouldn't be called a whore. Mel isn't being paid. She's doing only what's necessary to please her god.

This is offensive. If a male character slept with a lot of women, he wouldn't be called a whore. Mel isn't being paid. She's doing only what's necessary to please her god.

I'm just saying book Mel was not like that

Cersei is having less sex then Melisandre

Cersei is the one who seduces men

and where are the Keetleblacks

they are important in the story, they were supposed to be in season 2

I agree. They should keep putting in random sex scenes that don't make sense.

Mel can be naked all the time for all I care, but why have sex with Gendry? People have every right to discuss why they choose to cut good scenes and lines from the book and put pointless sex scenes in instead without having that stupid 'prude' term tossed about when anyone says anything negative at all about sex scenes.

Pointless sex scene would be the one with Theon last episode. The girls were hot, just like Carice, but it was admittedly ridiculous and unnecessary This one works, with Mel using her established characterization as a seductress. It ties in nicely with Gendry's first impression of her, and Mel's buttering him up with the Baratheon speech. And it involves an important plot progression with the king's blood and leeches.

A ) In the books Edric Storm was leeched, not Stannis

B ) Why Stannis went to Davos was exactly as Davos said, they both know it's wrong and Stannis wanted Davos to talk him out of it, and then in the leech burning scene Mel flat out states that Davos demanded some type of a demonstration, I don't get how this is confusing

C ) Stannis is a frighteningly just man, of course he'd be worried about sacrificing an innocent, he's facing the moral dilemma of sacrificing one for the sake of many (or so he thinks)

D ) They don't know leeched are effective, ergo the demonstration. In the books after the leeches they considered sacrificing Edric to wake a dragon, which is why Davos shipped him away, I believe same will happen in the show.

E ) 3 leeches because there are 3 kings other than him. There was never any explanation in the books for this either...

It was never really explained, but lets assume Mel could only kill people who have crowned themselves king, and Stannis loses Edric and changes his course of action before killing Tommen is considered.

I think the underlying point that most people miss is that Mel knows the leeches have nothing to do with the three deaths. She has seen the deaths in her visions. She already knows those three are going to die. She's using the leeches as a trick to prove to Stannis and in this case Davos the power of the kings blood. She hopes it will convince Stannis to allow her to burn/sacrifice Gendry.

I have no problem with sex and always laughed when people joked about how much of it was in the show in the past, but Mellisandre shagging Gendry was the worst of the unnecssary sex scenes so far . There was no justification as to why she did that. If putting him at ease was the goal then it didnt work he was freaked out by the leaches enough to panic and ruin the magic anyway so it was hardly a goodway to get gendrys blood , They could of just rushed at him with guards that would hold him down it would be over and done with in a moment. Im sorry but it was just a poorly written scene that made no sense.

Upon rewatching the scene, I found it very peculiar.

Melisandre uses the lamb to the slaughter analogy to say that the sacrifice shouldn't see it coming. Yet she spoils it by showing Gendry the leeches and making him panic. I mean wtf?

Pointless sex scene would be the one with Theon last episode. The girls were hot, just like Carice, but it was admittedly ridiculous and unnecessary This one works, with Mel using her established characterization as a seductress. It ties in nicely with Gendry's first impression of her, and Mel's buttering him up with the Baratheon speech. And it involves an important plot progression with the king's blood and leeches.

Yes but she is supposed to use sex for a purpose. If she wanted a shadow baby with Gendry, then ok it makes sense. If she wants to leech his penis she can bloody well do it without jumping on his cock.

I'm just saying book Mel was not like that

I tend to agree. Not a huge Mel fan, but she really well and truly believes she is doing the right thing. It's implied in DwD that Stannis shares her bed, but in her own internal dialog she doesn't even really address it. Meaning, she doesn't think sex is a part of her magic or at least she doesn't think it in her chapters.

But at the same time, until I got her POV in DwD this wouldn't have surprised me.

Upon rewatching the scene, I found it very peculiar.

Melisandre uses the lamb to the slaughter analogy to say that the sacrifice shouldn't see it coming. Yet she spoils it by showing Gendry the leeches and making him panic. I mean wtf?

I agree that the point of keeping your victim calm so their blood is not poisoned by fear was not really achieved by seducing him. I think the point was so she could get him into the bindings easily...but honestly they could have just done that with guards, you're right. This scene was clearly written for HBO sex quota and though I don't really mind sex quota scenes, I am definitely disliking Melisandre the Succubus compared to the cool mysterious sorceress she was in the books. :(

Minus the fact that it was unnecessary, I just felt uncomfortable watching it because Gendry is still a kid in my mind. Also, did the scene look just weird to anyone else? They never actually showed them kissing, and I thought maybe because it was the age difference until I looked up Joe Dempsie on imdb, and fuck he is 25 years old! I feel silly.

Anyways, I wonder what will happen to Gendry now. Do you all think he will try to go back to the Brotherhood? I hope not, after they sold him out like that!

Archived