[BOOK AND TV SPOILERS] Daario and Valar Morghulis?

Young Nan

He also used the phrase "lovely girl." definitely raised an eyebrow.

This.

I can see how non book readers might start to think Daario is either a faceless man, or more specifically, Jaqen himself. In fact, using the similar lines even further accentuated that possibility. Red herring? Possibly. New theory / conspiracy rambling material? Definitely! haha.

no, no, and no.

are you guys for real? god forbid joffrey ever says the words "lovely girl". Hey if Jon said "you are a lovely girl" to ygritte would you tihnk he's a faceless man? for christ's sakes, daario is a lady killer, and complementing women is part of a lady killer's everyday dialog so saying lovely girl is NOTHING to him.

my god.

So I'm very confused about the scene when Daario got an iron coin and said "Valar Morghulis". In the book I don't recall him ever using that expression, and so far, in the show we've only seen it associated with Jaqen H'ghar. My husband, a non-reader, now thinks Daario is a faceless man. I tried to convince him otherwise but he thinks its a show-only change they made. Is that what they were going for?

In the show Missandei says Valar Morghulis to Dany, and Dany translates it and replies "but we are not men". Melisandre says it to Thoros and Thoros gives her the "all men must serve" then later says "all men must serve" in the common tongue. That was a big added exchange that Arya heard someone else say those words and the response.

There's been tons of references to High Valyrian / Valyrian being the languages that people in Essos use, even Talisa writes a letter to her mom in Valyrian.

It was a square common coin from Braavos. I didn't think it looked iron but no matter. Daario said the expression because he got the Braavosi coin.

Did anyone notice if the three coins were the three places the three men were from? Titan's Bastard is from Braavos, Daario is from Tyrosh(or will they change it to keep the possibility of the stupid blue dyed hair alive?) and I don't know about the other guy is from...

Anyway, Mero, aka Titan's Bastard comes up with the idea that the Braavosi coin marks the killer obviously referencing the Faceless Men are from Braavos. I don't think the intention was to make it seem like Daario is a Faceless Man, it just made him "the assassin that gets to disguise himself" and kill Dany.

Daario also probably knows that there's a good chance he won't get out alive from sneaking in and killing her, thus it's kinda a suicidal mission.

However, my friends noticed also that Daario called her "lovely girl" the same way that Jaqen H'ghar used to call Arya that. I watched the show with two unsullied that they both thought that his mannerisms and the braavosi coin scene were hints that Daario is a FM.

They might make Daario from Lorath like Jaqen supposedly was. Then they leave open the possibility that the boy we meet later on dyes his hair blue still.

Yeah but interestingly the way he actually said it "A coin from Braavos. The Braavosi does the deed" (which turns out to be Daario). Not saying that Daario is a Faceless man, it was just interesting the way the dialogue put it. Hints are made in such ways.

:agree:

Add the fact that Mero aka Titan's Bastard is from Braavos and it makes perfect sense for Daario to give that response when he gets the coin and is ordered to assassinate Dany by disguising himself.

Maybe "lovely girl" is just part of the Bravosi dialect? That's still weird to me.

Did Syrio Ferrel say it? Syrio is from Braavos, Jaqen is not.

Remember Jaqen H'ghar is from the free city of Lorath(the closest one to Braavos)? He tells Arya this when he's trying to get her to give him water when he's in the cage. Jaqen wouldn't claim to be from Lorath and not speak like a Lorathi. His accent agrees with that back story. Jaqen is not claiming to be from Braavos.

Does his accent change a little when he says "farewell Arya Stark" ? It's such a small amount of words that I couldn't tell. I would think that like he does in the book he drops the accent when he changes his face and Jaqen dies. Who knows though.

Yeah, that's it, getting the Braavosi coin means you lose. Kind of a weird system for draw IMHO. The whore knew where all three were sitting at the time, heard their voices. And the Braavosi coin was FREAKING SQUARE. THE OTHERS WERE ROUND. Yeah sure, the whore didn't see the coins from the Titan's Bastard's purse, but she's a WHORE, she's received coins probably all her life!!! I doubt she doesn't know what those coins looked like. (Yeah I know the actual draw isn't so important, but still I had to rant, LOL)

I believe the coin Jaquen gave to Arya was a round, in particular a coin from the House of Black and White.

Other Braavos coins most likely take different shapes.

GRRM implies, in Essos, all speak some form of Valyrian and know the canonical greeting.

Melisandre and Thoros used it a few episodes back.

In fact Thoros gave the required reply "Valar Dohaeris" a few episodes back, first time we have heard it on the show.

Didn't Dany say it to Missandei earlier in the season, like episode 2 or 3? Dany then makes the comment "but we are not men".

The fact that he said "valar morghulis" doesn't mean anything in and of itself, I just raised an eyebrow about him saying it in association with a braavosi coin, and then calling Dany "lovely girl" the same way that Jaqun used to say it to Arya.

I don't believe Daario is a faceless man at all. I just noticed the connection, and so did the two unsullied I watched it with. In this thread and others, more than a few people said their unsullied said the same thing.

It was either careless writing (they unintentionally wrote the character similarly to Jaqen) or a red herring, to make the audience suspicious of Daario, IMO. Too many people are comparing Daario with Jaqen for it to be a coincidence.

I explained to my husband and friend that he isn't a FM, he is just a douche. They don't believe me, they think im either trying to not spoil them, or that the directors changed it to make the show more interesting.

The fact that he said "valar morghulis" doesn't mean anything in and of itself, I just raised an eyebrow about him saying it in association with a braavosi coin, and then calling Dany "lovely girl" the same way that Jaqun used to say it to Arya.

Admittedly, it would be funny if Dany and Arya just so happen to be protected by the same - faceless - man. But I seriously doubt that is the case.

no, no, and no.

are you guys for real? god forbid joffrey ever says the words "lovely girl". Hey if Jon said "you are a lovely girl" to ygritte would you tihnk he's a faceless man? for christ's sakes, daario is a lady killer, and complementing women is part of a lady killer's everyday dialog so saying lovely girl is NOTHING to him.

my god.

Seriously, there's a difference between saying "you're a lovely girl" and calling someone "lovely girl." nuance - try it sometimes.

It's just an odd thing to say, and now we have two guys using it.

It was explained, in clear dialogue, that the man who got the Braavosi coin would be the one to go into the camp.

Wasn't the Braavosi coin square though? Can't the skank feel that even if she doesn't look at the coins?

I always took the coin that was given to Arya as a coin used by people who wanted to go to the temple to die.

Braavosi would know what that was for and as part of their culture/religion assist in any way to help the one seeking death to get where they needed to go.

The coin given to Daario was just a common coin from Braavos.

Mero, the Titan's bastard was pretty cool. They should have cast him as Daario

Are you kidding? That tongue-flicky thing he did with Dany was just plain cheesy and nasty. Reminded me of Hannibal Lecter thinking about fava beans and chianti.

Archived