3) Gerold Hightower

4) Oswell Whent

5) Oberyn Martell

6) Robert Baratheon

7) Bronze Yohn Royce

8) Jamie Lannister

9) Syrio Forel

10) Balon Swann

One omission I've noticed so far is The Smiling Knight. I know we don't have a direct account of him, but if defeating him was one of Arthur Dane's greatest accomplishments, he must have been pretty powerful. Or at least pretty crazy.

Never bet against crazy.

I'd also like to point out we don't know what adult Howland Reed is capable of. The assumption is he did something to help Ned survive The Tower of Joy. Maybe it was more than that, maybe he had became a gifted fighter. After all, how many men faced Dane and lived?

One omission I've noticed so far is The Smiling Knight. I know we don't have a direct account of him, but if defeating him was one of Arthur Dane's greatest accomplishments, he must have been pretty powerful. Or at least pretty crazy.

Your point is well taken... and we do have a direct account of him.

If I recall correctly, Jaime (who fought him briefly) cites the Smiling Knight as having been the previous generation's Mountain, in the sense that he was the man to kill if you wanted to make your reputation. That does imply an ass-that-is-bad.

I'm not sure about order but the members of Aerys Targaryan's kingsguard were supposed to be the best of the best. Aemon the Dragonknight, the Clegane brothers, Oberyn Martell and Ser Duncan the Tall as well.

Really Dunk the Lunk? i mean i love him as much as anyone, see my name and picture, but the guy is hardly a top 10 worthy warrior

Honorable mentions. Tywin Lannister

I wouldn't consider Tywin even close to being one of the greatest warriors. One of the greatest generals maybe but we have nothing to indicate that he was exceptionally skilled as a warrior.

And what's the total lack of The Mance on all of these lists?

Really Dunk the Lunk? i mean i love him as much as anyone, see my name and picture, but the guy is hardly a top 10 worthy warrior

I disagree. We saw that when he was a mere 16 years old He was able to beat a knight of the noble blood. He much like the mountain and the hound is simply larger than virtually everyone else in westoros, This gives him a huge advantage over his opponents. I believe that in his day, he was one of the greatest warriors in westoros. He lived more than 50 years ago though so...

I disagree. We saw that when he was a mere 16 years old He was able to beat a knight of the noble blood. He much like the mountain and the hound is simply larger than virtually everyone else in westoros, This gives him a huge advantage over his opponents. I believe that in his day, he was one of the greatest warriors in westoros. He lived more than 50 years ago though so...

Yeah, we never saw him as a warrior either, almost all he ever did was enter the lists, which he was awful at, and ended up getting in trouble over. He was good in that one melee we saw him in, but that was another debacle. Sure he has the potential to be a great warrior...but he wasn't at the time

Gotta be Rob Stark, if we are still talking about warriors. If it's just swordsmen, then I'd guess any - ranging from The Mountain to Thoros - fairly good duelist could fit the bill.

Greatest Warriors/Combatants... I'll stick to the ones who have been alive during the series, rather than taking in all dead badasses we have heard about. There's still a load of dangerous warriors though.

1, Jamie Lannister - in his prime, without his right hand he doesn't come close to the list.

2, Barristan Selmy - in his prime, but he's still on the list in his old age, only down towards the end.

3, Robert Baratheon - in his prime, but he's still on the list in his fat, winded state, only down towards the end.

4, Sandor Clegane.

5, Gregor Clegane.

6, Victarion Greyjoy - with his augumented hand, without it he's lower.

7, Garlan Tyrell.

8, Loras Tyrell.

9, Balon Swann.

10, Bronn of the Blackwater.

If we're talking about fighters in their prime, my top 3 would be;

1. Barristan the Bold - most renowned knight the seven kingdoms has seen.

2. Arthur Dayne - hard to rank this guy as we've never seen him, but only ever thought of as a remarkably lethal warrior.

3. Jaime Lannister (with a hand) - not one of the youngest knights ever for no reason.

The rest are hard to rank due to many factors (not enough evidence, different fighting styles, extent of armour etc...) but these guys would follow (in no order);

-Gregor Clegane

-Duncan the Tall

-Aemon the Dragonknight

-Daeron Blackfyre

-Sandor Clegane

-Khal Drogo

-Robert Baratheon

-Rhaegar Targaryen

-Brandon/Ned Stark

-Brienne of Tarth

-Garlan/Loras Tyrell

-Bronn

-Thoros of Myr

-Mance Rayder

-Areo Hotah

-Aegon the conqueror

-The smiling knight

-Qhorin Halfhand

Accepting "Warrior" as a vague term that sort of encompasses several manners of combat, I'd probably go with Robert Baratheon as #1. By pretty much everyone's account, Dayne was the greatest knight, while Barriston noted that Jaime Lannister was the best swordsman. Most of the other guys mentioned I don't recall enough about. Bronn was good, yes, but the quality of his opponents must be questioned. Gregor could be a #1 in terms of fighting prowess, but he's an asshole.

Greatest Warriors/Combatants... I'll stick to the ones who have been alive during the series, rather than taking in all dead badasses we have heard about. There's still a load of dangerous warriors though.

1, Jamie Lannister - in his prime, without his right hand he doesn't come close to the list.

2, Barristan Selmy - in his prime, but he's still on the list in his old age, only down towards the end.

3, Robert Baratheon - in his prime, but he's still on the list in his fat, winded state, only down towards the end.

4, Sandor Clegane.

5, Gregor Clegane.

6, Victarion Greyjoy - with his augumented hand, without it he's lower.

7, Garlan Tyrell.

8, Loras Tyrell.

9, Balon Swann.

10, Bronn of the Blackwater.

What about the viper. He has to make the list of best warriors in westoros.

If I had to pick 10 in no particular order

1. Jamie Lannister

2. Oberyn martell

3. Mountain

4. Hound

5. The fat king

6. Ned stark

7. Barristan the bald

8. loras tyrell

9. Garlan tyrell

10. Mance rayder

A more interesting list in my opinion is greatest tacticians of westoros (battlefield not politics)

1. Tywin lannister

2. The young wolf

3. doran martell

4. mance rayder

5. tyrion lannister

In no particular order, mainly because history can be messed up abit. Plus i am only picking people from westeros.

Ned stark

Rhaegar

Barristan

Oberyn

Garlan tyrell

The hound

Arthur dayne

Bronn

Brandon stark

Robert baratheon

Gerold hightower

Honorable mentions go to

Jaime

Brienne

The rest of aerys kingsguard.

Plus i don't rate loras or the mountain very highly. The mountain is just intimidating but not nearly as skilled as many others. Loras is a good jouster but his brother is a better fighter and loras gets b!+@#slapped in the first fight he can really show his worth.

Which fight is that because the siege of Dragonstone wasn't a pitched battle and Loras was injured by burning oil, not because someone else bested him in combat. I agree the Mountain isn't as skilled as people [in Westeros] think he is.

Loras rushed straight into dragonstone without a second thought. All we know of his skill as a warrior is basically rumor. He was bested by brienne and murdered some untested boys wearing rainbow cloaks who had no reason to believe he was a threat.

Which fight is that because the siege of Dragonstone wasn't a pitched battle and Loras was injured by burning oil, not because someone else bested him in combat. I agree the Mountain isn't as skilled as people [in Westeros] think he is.

It's not about skill. It's about the fact that he has a 1/2 a foot and 50 pounds on the next largest fighter in westoros who has 1/2 a foot and fifty pounds on the next largest fighter in westoros. According to the wiki. Gregor cleagane is almost 8 feet tall and weighs around 400 pounds (Almost zero fat). He doesn't have to be the mot skilled warrior to be the best. He will hit harder and farther than any other man in westoros with them same weopon. He was probably the greatest warrior in westoros at the time of his "death."

Archived