[BOOK SPOILERS] Episode 9 Preview

I noticed there was no 'preview' thread last week, so I decided to make one this week. Well, there it is, analyse away :)

From the looks of it, it looks like we'll get the Red Wedding (obviously), but also Queenscrown and the beginning of the battle of Yunkai. It also looks like Arya will feature prominently in this episode, which makes sense cause she was a big part of the RW. But what about the Robb and Cat scene at the beginning?

The scene at the beginning with Robb and Cat was the scene many expected to be in last week's episode...but they were wrong.

Who wants to bet that the aerial shot we have of Jon with his sword out then shielding himself with his arm is Orell's hawk attacking him??

Jorah and Grey Worm go into Yunkai through what they hope to be a secret or at least non-descript passage. But they get attacked and we get a cool skirmish scene.

They are hiding the RW pretty well, not even a mention of the Twins.

I'm kind of curious if we really get to see some fighting in Yunkai, at least from Jorah we will, but i thought the battle would be episode 10 Oo

I think the battle will be in 10 but Jorah and Grey Worm seem to be going on a scouting trip into the city to explore its weaknesses. No huge battle I don't think.

The scene at the beginning with Robb and Cat was the scene many expected to be in last week's episode...but they were wrong.

Who wants to bet that the aerial shot we have of Jon with his sword out then shielding himself with his arm is Orell's hawk attacking him??

Jorah and Grey Worm go into Yunkai through what they hope to be a secret or at least non-descript passage. But they get attacked and we get a cool skirmish scene.

They are hiding the RW pretty well, not even a mention of the Twins.

Eagle :)

Queenscrown: Jon refuses to kill old man, Orell attacks him with eagle, Ygritte shoots Orell, Summer kills everybody.

Robb and Cat... more red herring build up. I've told my unsullied friends Robb's arc is really important right now, and they think it's cause of the plan to attack CR. :devil:

They have made it clear that the wedding will happen this episode, though.

I guess we might have the beginning of the Battle of Yunkai this ep... not sure though, that might just be a skirmish.

Eagle :)

Queenscrown: Jon refuses to kill old man, Orell attacks him with eagle, Ygritte shoots Orell, Summer kills everybody

I don't recall from ASoS, but did Bran actually see Jon through Summer or was Summer acting on his/her own?

It would be badass for Bran to actually see Jon and save him through Summer.

I don't recall from ASoS, but did Bran actually see Jon through Summer or was Summer acting on his/her own?

It would be badass for Bran to actually see Jon and save him through Summer.

Bran was being Summer, we just don't have it from his point of view. There's a shot in the preview though (about 0:28) where his eyes go up into the back of his head, so I assume that will be him warging into Summer, which will be a big development as it hasn't happened yet. Queenscrown's gonna look like the event of the episode from an Unsullied perspective, though... :devil:

I'm almost looking forward to Queenscrown more than I am the Red Wedding.

It was such a heartbreaking moment in the book. I felt like I wanted to cry :(

The Red Wedding was just shocking.

I imagine it will be really well done, though, and I'm looking forward to seeing my Unsullied's reactions. Btw, what's the shot at 0:30 in the preview which has two naked guys surrounded by armored guys holding banners? RW? Or something else?

Always informative to include the "Previously on" recap here as well as it often fills in the blanks of what will happen in the episode that the promo sometimes doesn't fully cover:

As you can see, we'll also be visiting with Sam again in addition to the storylines mentioned. Best guess is the intro of Coldhands since we know from previous trailers that in the finale Sam will meet up with Bran.

Someone elsewhere brought up that the camera focused on the face in the weirdwood tree before Sam and Gilly went in that cabin.

Like the Old Gods were watching over Sam at the time and sent the ravens to warn him. So I do think those ravens were Coldhands's ravens and we'll see them save Sam and Gilly once again. Hopefully in this episode.

Regarding Queenscrown; I think Jon ends up killing Orell, as we've seen a clip of the two sword-fighting in one of the trailers. I think the shot of Jon checking Ygritte is him stopping her from shooting Summer. Orell will warg his eagle in death and attack Jon.

I'm realllllyyyyy looking forward to seeing Jorah/Grey Worm fighting in Yunkai. We haven't seen Dany's bear "get wild" so to speak in a while.

Based on what we've been shown from the promo, here's my best guess of how Queenscrown will go:

On the way there, the Wildlings will see a NW man and want to kill him. Jon will object, Tormund will tell him that killing crows is what they do. Ygritte will try and peg the NW guy off with an arrow and Jon will bump her at the last second. The man will continue on unaware (or maybe Orell or Tormund will kill him). They'll be pissed and mistrustful of Jon so once they get to Queenscrown and find the old man, they'll tell Jon to kill him to prove himself. Jon won't go through with it, Summer/Bran will show up to cause chaos, Jon will decide to bolt and he'll get in the altercation with Orell and have the eagle attack him which gives him the scars on his face. Jon will kill Orell. And I'm guessing Ygritte will also wound him with an arrow on his escape too just like in the books.

On Bran's side, we see that Rickon is with him inside the tower in one of the promo shots so Osha/Rickon have not split yet. However, they do include the scene of Osha swearing that she won't go back across the Wall in the recap so it may be that after the chaos, they do get separated or she decides to say "Fuck it" and take off with Rickon afterwards. Bran definitely wargs into Summer which is him "discovering a new gift" as it states in the episode synopsis.

looks like Rickon is still with Bran at Queenscrown. When is HBO going to split them up and send Rickon on his way to Skagos in order to fulfill the later needs of the books? perhaps they will split when Bran continues his pursuit of the 3EC beyond the wall?

looks like Rickon is still with Bran at Queenscrown. When is HBO going to split them up and send Rickon on his way to Skagos in order to fulfill the later needs of the books? perhaps they will split when Bran continues his pursuit of the 3EC beyond the wall?

In the quick shot in a S3 trailer of Sam coming from under the Nightfort to talk to Bran (which would presumably be the final Bran scene of this season), you can see Bran there with the Reeds and Hodor but Osha and Rickon are not. So they'll be splitting up either right after Queenscrown in E9 or at the start of E10.

Archived