[BOOK SPOILERS] Episode 9 Preview

looks like Rickon is still with Bran at Queenscrown. When is HBO going to split them up and send Rickon on his way to Skagos in order to fulfill the later needs of the books? perhaps they will split when Bran continues his pursuit of the 3EC beyond the wall?

That would be my guess. I think they will end Bran's story for season 3 with him and Rickon splitting up.

Osha will realize Mance is going through with his plan to attack Castle Black, so she'll decide not to take the boys there. They'll make a compromise that she gets to take Rickon since it is not his destiny to go beyond the wall.

Osha will realize Mance is going through with his plan to attack Castle Black, so she'll decide not to take the boys there. They'll make a compromise that she gets to take Rickon since it is not his destiny to go beyond the wall.

:agree:

In the preview Bran says "For all we know Castle Black is already under attack". That's when Osha and Rickon are gonna split. She has already mentioned that she doesn't want to back north and the wildlings south of the wall will be the reason she needs.

And she will probably say something like:

"If you want to go on this mad search i can't stop you, but i will keep Rickon safe"

:agree:

In the preview Bran says "For all we know Castle Black is already under attack". That's when Osha and Rickon are gonna split. She has already mentioned that she doesn't want to back north and the wildlings south of the wall will be the reason she needs.

And she will probably say something like:

"If you want to go on this mad search i can't stop you, but i will keep Rickon safe"

Makes sense to me. They planted a seed in the previous episode (E07) that Osha has a grudge against Meera, and of course a backstory that means she will not go north of the wall ever again. But with the limited time they will have, I'm guessing Bran's screen time in E09 will probably be limited to his first intentional warging at Queenscrown, leaving the split for E10. That will be an emotional scene for viewers and keep them interested in Season 4's arrival.

I imagine it will be really well done, though, and I'm looking forward to seeing my Unsullied's reactions. Btw, what's the shot at 0:30 in the preview which has two naked guys surrounded by armored guys holding banners? RW? Or something else?

My guess is that it is the slaughter in the party tents outside of the RW.

Who else thought that the red wedding would be the whole episode like the blackwater.

Not me. Not only there's no enough content to do that but it would be a total giveaway as well.

The episode seems to be so full of content that I assume it will be the best one of the whole series. I can't wait. I am watching the preview every time I spent some time on my pc.

Who else thought that the red wedding would be the whole episode like the blackwater.

No, there's would of been no reason for this as well, non-book readers would probably suspect something if they focused on it for such a period of time.

My guess is it will be the most prevalent storyline however they aren't giving anything away in the sneak peak - Although Queenscrow is a lot to cover as well so I'm really hoping RW isn't "watered down" to everything occuring so fast there isn't time for the feelings of uneasiness leading up to the chaos.

Ideally it's done in 3 segments and probably takes up a good 25 minutes of the show.. 1st would probably be Robb & Cat's talk early on.. 2nd would be a relavively long scene w/ arriving and meeting with Walder Frey along with Roose and the other bannermen with Edmure's bride I'd imagine being introduced as well .. 3rd will probably skip right to the moment before the mayhem unfolds but I hope it's a good 10-minute scene with a lot of build-up to Edmure being taken off for the "bedding" (that clip in the promo gave me a really eerie feeling - it looked just like it did in my head while reading it)

I'd imagine Yunkaii will cover two scenes as well but they don't really have to be long scenes as from the looks of it it's just Dany meeting with Jorah/Daario/Grey Worm to discuss a plan and the 2nd being a skirmish.

Not sure why they're throwing Sam into the episode - thought Coldhands would be a great way to close out the season but it'll likely be some big battle for the Daenerys fans (which is fine by me of course all of that stuff has been really entertaining regardless of whether or not it's my favorite storyline)

No idea how they'll do QC or how much screen time they'll give it - could be very likely this one goes over 60-minutes like episode 10 last season.

Did anyone else see a quick shot of Bran with warg-eyes?

EDIT: Oops.

Bran was being Summer, we just don't have it from his point of view. There's a shot in the preview though (about 0:28) where his eyes go up into the back of his head, so I assume that will be him warging into Summer, which will be a big development as it hasn't happened yet. Queenscrown's gonna look like the event of the episode from an Unsullied perspective, though... :devil:

Good. Hopefully, my sweet Brannykins will finally get to do something cool.

My guess is it will be the most prevalent storyline however they aren't giving anything away in the sneak peak - Although Queenscrow is a lot to cover as well so I'm really hoping RW isn't "watered down" to everything occuring so fast there isn't time for the feelings of uneasiness leading up to the chaos.

Ideally it's done in 3 segments and probably takes up a good 25 minutes of the show.. 1st would probably be Robb & Cat's talk early on.. 2nd would be a relavively long scene w/ arriving and meeting with Walder Frey along with Roose and the other bannermen with Edmure's bride I'd imagine being introduced as well .. 3rd will probably skip right to the moment before the mayhem unfolds but I hope it's a good 10-minute scene with a lot of build-up to Edmure being taken off for the "bedding" (that clip in the promo gave me a really eerie feeling - it looked just like it did in my head while reading it)

I'd imagine Yunkaii will cover two scenes as well but they don't really have to be long scenes as from the looks of it it's just Dany meeting with Jorah/Daario/Grey Worm to discuss a plan and the 2nd being a skirmish.

Not sure why they're throwing Sam into the episode - thought Coldhands would be a great way to close out the season but it'll likely be some big battle for the Daenerys fans (which is fine by me of course all of that stuff has been really entertaining regardless of whether or not it's my favorite storyline)

No idea how they'll do QC or how much screen time they'll give it - could be very likely this one goes over 60-minutes like episode 10 last season.

I agree pretty well on the time devoted to the RW. In terms of the episode structure, I could see them treating the episode in a very similar manner to their regular structure with flipping through the various stories as per usual (including the pre-RW stuff with Robb and Cat and arriving at the Twins). And then, around the 3/4 hour mark, we'll hit the RW and stay there for the remainder of the episode. I've seen this done on other shows (Six Feet Under comes to mind) when there is a big important event they want to shock you with and it's a very effective technique.

The audience is used to a certain kind of rhythm with their episodes (whether it's consciously or sub-consciously) when you have alternating storylines you visit 5 minutes here and then 5 minutes there, rinse and repeat. You can lull them into this rhythm for a larger chunk of the episode but when you arrive on Robb's story and then don't break away as you normally would, it creates even more tension as you are almost subconsciously unnerving the audience by not continuing with the rhythm you've set up for them. It doubles up on whatever tension and suspense you've got building in the scene as it stands.

Having an entire episode dedicated to the RW sounds good in theory but in practice, there's not enough material to last an episode and you'd ruin the suspense. This technique will be far more effective, trust me.

Always informative to include the "Previously on" recap here as well as it often fills in the blanks of what will happen in the episode that the promo sometimes doesn't fully cover:

As you can see, we'll also be visiting with Sam again in addition to the storylines mentioned. Best guess is the intro of Coldhands since we know from previous trailers that in the finale Sam will meet up with Bran.

Which trailer because I thought it first because of this forum but after rewatching every trailer I didn't see them meeting.

Which trailer because I thought it first because of this forum but after rewatching every trailer I didn't see them meeting.

look at 1:13. Quick shot of a big ball of fur (which is Sam's cloak) coming up the well at the Nightfort startling Bran and crew. Note that you have Bran, Hodor and the Reeds but no Osha or Rickon. So that means that between now and then, Sam meets Coldhands and Osha and Rickon split. Knowing that the recap shows all of the Sam the Slayer scene and then closes with the ravens coming towards the screen, I would bet a million internet dollars on Coldhands being intro'd in E9.

look at 1:13. Quick shot of a big ball of fur (which is Sam's cloak) coming up the well at the Nightfort startling Bran and crew. Note that you have Bran, Hodor and the Reeds but no Osha or Rickon. So that means that between now and then, Sam meets Coldhands and Osha and Rickon split. Knowing that the recap shows all of the Sam the Slayer scene and then closes with the ravens coming towards the screen, I would bet a million internet dollars on Coldhands being intro'd in E9.

Nice. Great ending for his story. Only thing is, what for season 4 for Bran and Sam? That means that Sam will be at the battle of the wall.

I agree pretty well on the time devoted to the RW. In terms of the episode structure, I could see them treating the episode in a very similar manner to their regular structure with flipping through the various stories as per usual (including the pre-RW stuff with Robb and Cat and arriving at the Twins). And then, around the 3/4 hour mark, we'll hit the RW and stay there for the remainder of the episode. I've seen this done on other shows (Six Feet Under comes to mind) when there is a big important event they want to shock you with and it's a very effective technique.

That would be perfect.

Nice. Great ending for his story. Only thing is, what for season 4 for Bran and Sam? That means that Sam will be at the battle of the wall.

I think the battle at the Wall will be delayed until later in S4. There is an audition clip circulated on WiC for S4 which is for Styr (Magnar of Thenn) who I kind of assumed had just been cut since he wasn't introduced this season going over the Wall with Jon. By the dialogue in the audition tape, he's talking to Tormund and Ygritte and it's addressing the fact that they got screwed over by Jon and that Orell had been killed. Then they talk about regrouping and attacking Castle Black. So I'm guessing that they'll start S4 with the Wildlings meeting up with another group of reinforcements and working on an attack for later. When D&D talked about the Battle at the Wall in S4, they said it would be near the end of the season and more expensive and on a bigger scale than Blackwater. I think the whole conflict between the Wildlings and the NW at the Wall (including the attack from the Wildlings from the South where Ygritte dies as well as the ongoing siege from Mance's forces afterwards) will be spread out over a number of episodes until Stannis' arrival near the climax of the season.

As for Bran, I imagine that he won't get a ton of screen time in S4 and they'll probably dig into his ADwD material and put him on the road to the Three Eyed Raven. I could certainly see them doing the same thing they did with Jaime in S2 and have him appear in only like 2-3 episodes.

Can someone refresh my memory and explain how exactly Dany took Yunkai? I keep getting it mixed up with Meereen. I'm trying to figure out exactly what Jorah, Daario and Grey Worm are doing in the fight scenes. Is it a more covert mission for them to open the gates or is this the actual start of a battle?

Can someone refresh my memory and explain how exactly Dany took Yunkai? I keep getting it mixed up with Meereen. I'm trying to figure out exactly what Jorah, Daario and Grey Worm are doing in the fight scenes. Is it a more covert mission for them to open the gates or is this the actual start of a battle?

From my memory, she gave a wagon full of wine over to the Second Sons, lead by Mero. As they were stinking drunk, she sent her army to take the city by force. A battle was fought, with the aid of the Stormcrows, and it was a resounding victory.

Archived