[BOOK SPOILERS] Episode 9 Preview

I've been trying not to play up this episode to my unsullied friends, and instead I've been telling them about the battle in Yunkai and concerning Dany's storyline. There was actually one of my douchebag friends last night who kept saying "Robb's going to die, Joffery's going to die, Tywin is going to die etc." Then when my innocent friends who look completely devastated ask me if there's any merit to this, I'm put in a terrible position because I'm the only who has read all the books. If I tell them Yes, which is the truth, well I'm ruining it for them, if I tell them No, then well...you get idea. So, my response is, "I can GUARANTEE Robb is not going to die." I mean...what am I supposed to do? It's infuriating really. So the Dbag friend starts saying, "Well this girl who read all the books told me this is what happens. Are you calling her a liar?" I had to keep a straight face and look them in the eyes and reply, "Yeah, she's just messing with you man." I don't know if I handled that well or not, I think I did. But, I just keep telling them to read the books. I'm sure everyone here has encountered this. It's terrible. I learned about Ned's fate before it happened, and I felt it kind of spoiled GoT for me.

EDIT: :tantrum:

I would say something like: "I'm not going to tell you if it's true or not. Only a douchebag would spoil the show for you that way." Then when he pulled the "Are you calling my friend a liar?" stuff, I'd ask "Is she a douchebag who'd spoil things for you? Or is it more likely she was just pulling your leg?" Then maybe throw in a line like "It's GOT, people are going to die. But I'm not telling you who."

If they believed you, they'll have one more week of being unspoiled. But unfortunately, after the next episode, they'll know you lied and they'll be waiting for Joffrey and Tywin to die too. It sucks. Your friend is a shit.

Yeah, I mean... I won't lose sleep over it or anything, because I've known for the last few years. It just sucks because I remember my reaction to the RW and I wanted to witness everyone else's reaction. Instead, of being completely shocked, they may as will be like "I knew it was coming, but I wasn't sure." I still think it may be among one of the single greatest events in television history.

At least they'll be shocked about Ygritte's death. I remember having a WTF moment over that. There should be a bunch of WTF moments next season and going forward.

I'm also ready to bet Coldhands will appear in the intro of episode 9:

- The recap shows Sam and Gilly... AND the crows.

- It's a tendency in GoT to open an episode with the continuity of the last scene of the last episode when this one was a twist (Jaime's hand).

- We know Sam and Gilly meet Bran and co in the finale, so we have to get an explanation as to how Sam ended up at the blackdoor.

- Bran's final scene would be awesome if it was the encounter with Coldhands.

- It is such an epic and WTF scene... moreover if they add the wights attack (Rast ! Karl ?)

- It will be one scene in the intro of the episode then no more for the episode of Sam (ala Arya in episode 8), and I'm sure episode 9 will have basically the same structure as episode 8 (one intro scene then only 3 storylines to go back and forth during the episode).

I see it going like this:

1. Sam and Gilly are running through the woods and stop to catch their breath. (or maybe actually go back for the dagger Sam left, if they don't make Sam have more then 1)

2. Next you see Rast as a wight. Sam tries to stab him with a dragonglass dagger and it breaks.

3. Sam panics and more wights start showing up trying to surround Sam & Gilly.

4. Pan to somethng in the woods waving for Sam to run over to him. but he is kept in the darkness so you can't make out who or what he is.

5. Have Sam and Gilly running towards him with the wights chasing them and the end the scene.

6. Ep 10 have Sam coming up through the well. Relaying that he was saved by a wight and he the wight says that Bran has to go meet him. (Could even see this as where The Stark kids split cause Osha wants nothing to do with wights)

7. End of the scene Bran, Sam, and co heading down the well and ending the season arc there.

8. Ep 1 of season 4 you are actaully shown and introduced to Coldhands.

Yeah, I mean... I won't lose sleep over it or anything, because I've known for the last few years. It just sucks because I remember my reaction to the RW and I wanted to witness everyone else's reaction. Instead, of being completely shocked, they may as will be like "I knew it was coming, but I wasn't sure." I still think it may be among one of the single greatest events in television history.

At least they'll be shocked about Ygritte's death. I remember having a WTF moment over that. There should be a bunch of WTF moments next season and going forward.

People will not be surprised about Ygritte's death for similar reasons they won't be surprised by Robb's. As soon as Robb said he promised to visit Talisa's mom, it was known he would die. Common trope. When Jon and Ygritte had that moment at the top of the wall, people said "well, that won't be allowed to last. One of them will die."

The only things that will really shock people are Catelyn dying and the extent of the Bolton's betrayal. People have cottoned on to Bolton being kinda shady and some have figured out that it's his son holding Theon, but just how deep the sabotage goes is completely unknown to many.

I've been trying not to play up this episode to my unsullied friends, and instead I've been telling them about the battle in Yunkai and concerning Dany's storyline. There was actually one of my douchebag friends last night who kept saying "Robb's going to die, Joffery's going to die, Tywin is going to die etc." Then when my innocent friends who look completely devastated ask me if there's any merit to this, I'm put in a terrible position because I'm the only who has read all the books. If I tell them Yes, which is the truth, well I'm ruining it for them, if I tell them No, then well...you get idea. So, my response is, "I can GUARANTEE Robb is not going to die." I mean...what am I supposed to do? It's infuriating really. So the Dbag friend starts saying, "Well this girl who read all the books told me this is what happens. Are you calling her a liar?" I had to keep a straight face and look them in the eyes and reply, "Yeah, she's just messing with you man." I don't know if I handled that well or not, I think I did. But, I just keep telling them to read the books. I'm sure everyone here has encountered this. It's terrible. I learned about Ned's fate before it happened, and I felt it kind of spoiled GoT for me.

Just say 'everyone dies, it's just a matter of when and how.' Or 'they all go when a meteorite hit westeros which allows the WW to overpower the remnant civilizations.' Just BS, maybe putting some truth and lies together. 'Talisa dies and she is secretly carrying a targaryen offspring that will become TPtwP and the baby isn't Robbs, but turns out to be the Mountain's natural born heir who is really the offspring of Bloodraven and Lyanna. Oh and Tywin dies taking a poop.'

I wonder if they are going to show Rob's headless corspe with Grey Winds head on top of it. The scene that will devastate me the most is when Sandor and Arya arrives to see Rob's men being massacred. That hope of seeing her mother and brother again being taken away by Walder Frey. Like Arya I too have been keeping a mini kill list in my head for the characters that I have come to hate the most, and I hope Martin doesn't have Walder die of old age. I hope after her training as a faceless one that she exacts her revenge.

Just say 'everyone dies, it's just a matter of when and how.' Or 'they all go when a meteorite hit westeros which allows the WW to overpower the remnant civilizations.' Just BS, maybe putting some truth and lies together. 'Talisa dies and she is secretly carrying a targaryen offspring that will become TPtwP and the baby isn't Robbs, but turns out to be the Mountain's natural born heir who is really the offspring of Bloodraven and Lyanna. Oh and Tywin dies taking a poop.'

Aaand I just realized what the perfect answer would be.

Valar morghulis.

I am constantly disappointed by the attempts of people to ruin this show/these books for those who haven't read them by blurting out spoilers concerning who is going to die. If I was just a TV viewer I think it would be impossible to go to any youtube video or web article discussing Game of Thrones, because all the comment sections are full of it, just people doing it for the sake of doing it. I'm not surprised that so many TV viewers say they hate book readers like me.

By the way, isn't it a little mean to refer to the TV viewers as 'unsullied'? I mean, given what the unsullied are and what they've done (had their man parts cut off/killed babies/etc...) it seems a bit harsh.

I wonder if they are going to show Rob's headless corspe with Grey Winds head on top of it.

I've seen people say they're showing it. Don't know where they got their info from though, and not sure whether I will want to see it or not..

By the way, isn't it a little mean to refer to the TV viewers as 'unsullied'? I mean, given what the unsullied are and what they've done (had their man parts cut off/killed babies/etc...) it seems a bit harsh.

• I always refered to them that way but in a really nice way, not to insult at all, really !

And after all, we are "Book Walkers"... says a lot ! xD

I've seen people say they're showing it. Don't know where they got their info from though, and not sure whether I will want to see it or not..

I am really sure that when they said something along the lines of 'the Red Wedding was basically the reason we wanted to make the show because we thought it needed to be depicted visually' I am sure that Robb's head sewed onto Grey Wind must have been a big part of that. I mean it is like one of the most memorable (if disgusting) lines of the book. I think they will include it.

I've got all of my friends who watch the show convinced that the big stuff is happening in episode ten this year. Just made up some excuse about how, because this season is only going to be half of the book, there wasn't really a good way to put the big moment in episode nine. Most of them aren't picking up on the dangerous situation Robb, Catelyn, Talisa, and the rest of the Northmen are heading into. They're pretty attentive, so it's not as if they aren't paying attention, but most of them are convinced that Robb is going to take Casterly Rock. A lot of them consider Robb and/or Catelyn to be among their favorite characters, so it's going to be interesting watching the episode with them. It's a pretty big group (8 people, not including myself; none of whom have read the books), so the reactions should be... Who knows, really - probably intense, though. We tend to have a few drinks during (and before and after) the show, and the four girls tend to be pretty expressive. Maybe I'll see if I can find a way to record it. I know a lot of people did with with Ned's death, and those videos were pretty great. But we don't meet at my place, and I don't want to tip anyone off about something major happening during the episode, so maybe not.

I've got all of my friends who watch the show convinced that the big stuff is happening in episode ten this year. Just made up some excuse about how, because this season is only going to be half of the book, there wasn't really a good way to put the big moment in episode nine. Most of them aren't picking up on the dangerous situation Robb, Catelyn, Talisa, and the rest of the Northmen are heading into. They're pretty attentive, so it's not as if they aren't paying attention, but most of them are convinced that Robb is going to take Casterly Rock. A lot of them consider Robb and/or Catelyn to be among their favorite characters, so it's going to be interesting watching the episode with them. It's a pretty big group (8 people, not including myself; none of whom have read the books), so the reactions should be... Who knows, really - probably intense, though. We tend to have a few drinks during (and before and after) the show, and the four girls tend to be pretty expressive. Maybe I'll see if I can find a way to record it. I know a lot of people did with with Ned's death, and those videos were pretty great. But we don't meet at my place, and I don't want to tip anyone off about something major happening during the episode, so maybe not.

The way I would handle it? Since I have a laptop, I'd sit somewhere in such a way where my back is to them, then when the show starts just leave it open and recording. But if people are having drinks IDK if I'd want it sitting out. I saw one reaction video where the camera was actually behind the people watching. So that's one way, depending on the setup of the room

I've been trying to think about whether or not they are actually giving any hints at all as to what is about to happen and I genuinely don't think they are. Obviously it's pretty difficult to tell when you have read the books and you know what is happening and you know that it's all down hill from Karstark beheading onwards, but I think show viewers are just thinking Robb will eventually win. In fact I think most people are thinking 'I've won every battle but I'm losing the war' is a way of making Robb's eventual victory more dramatic.

Does anyone else think that people could actually stop watching the show because of this? I think there is a real chance.

Yeah I forget the interview (I'm sure you can find it, I know it's out there) but there was someone who was on the set during one of the later episodes of the season and said that he saw something on set that looked like a man with a boar's head. Obviously he was mistaken if this is what I think it is, but I when I read that I felt that it basically confirmed that they would show this.

My advice - DON'T play up the episode as something special to your unsullied friends. It is a mistake. It is better for them to be shocked than disappointed.

This is especially true if you are presenting this episode is BEST EVER or MOST SHOCKING TWIST/DEATH. Just don't.

>D-Bag

>Friend.

Pick one.

Archived