Ice and Fire animal project II: Lions

Mladen

Wow, beautiful work Mladen! I really loved reading this (sorry it took me a while, haven't been on the forum a few days))

I especially like the parallel to Aesop's fables. The last one about the Ass in the Lion's skin (which I wasn't familiar with before ;)) really strikes a chord with me. I think both Tywin and Cersei are fools (though truly fascinating characters; I love/love to hate all the Lannisters, no joke!) Tywin might be a proud, powerful and very rich Lion, but he hasn't earned any of the respect people give him. And that includes his children. People are pretty much either afraid of Tywin, wouldn't underestimate him as an enemy, or they're dead. The consequences of defying Tywin are very clear; everyone knows what happened to people that got in his way, like his father's mistress, the Reynes, or Elia and her children. It is almost stupid when you think of a man like that dying on the toilet, with a crossbow through his guts, shot by his own son.

Tywin has failed to earn respect, and he paid dearly for it. It's possibly less funny than Aesop's tale, but I suppose you could see the dark humor of it? ha

Cersei is very much the same type of fool. She certainly doesn't earn her respect, and unlike Tywin she isn't even a competent ruler. Her pride is her ultimate downfall, it prevents her from earning respect, trust and loyalty, or even valueing it. She ends up a fool, ridiculed in front of the entire city.

Anyways, absolutely beautiful work, can't wait for the next essay :)

Wow, beautiful work Mladen! I really loved reading this (sorry it took me a while, haven't been on the forum a few days))

Anyways, absolutely beautiful work, can't wait for the next essay :)

Thank you, bbstark. It means so much when it comes from a dear friend.

I especially like the parallel to Aesop's fables. The last one about the Ass in the Lion's skin (which I wasn't familiar with before ;)) really strikes a chord with me. I think both Tywin and Cersei are fools (though truly fascinating characters; I love/love to hate all the Lannisters, no joke!) Tywin might be a proud, powerful and very rich Lion, but he hasn't earned any of the respect people give him. And that includes his children. People are pretty much either afraid of Tywin, wouldn't underestimate him as an enemy, or they're dead. The consequences of defying Tywin are very clear; everyone knows what happened to people that got in his way, like his father's mistress, the Reynes, or Elia and her children. It is almost stupid when you think of a man like that dying on the toilet, with a crossbow through his guts, shot by his own son.

Tywin has failed to earn respect, and he paid dearly for it. It's possibly less funny than Aesop's tale, but I suppose you could see the dark humor of it? ha

Cersei is very much the same type of fool. She certainly doesn't earn her respect, and unlike Tywin she isn't even a competent ruler. Her pride is her ultimate downfall, it prevents her from earning respect, trust and loyalty, or even valueing it. She ends up a fool, ridiculed in front of the entire city.

I have to disagree with you on this one. If anyone is lion in ASOIAF, Tywin certainly is. The respect he gained is from his ferocity and intimidation, but that doesn`t mean people don`t respect me. Look at it this way. Boltons and Freys are those that people can`t fight at the moment, but they don`t have any respect towards them. Tywin, on the other hand, demands and gets respect. People may not like him, but they respect him. Enough to be afraid of him. I also don`t think he is fool. He had some really smart moves that won the War. Some will call them luck, but Tywin survived every war he fought in. No one is that lucky.

As for Cersei, she is fool, but not because of doing the same thing like her father, than opposite. She can`t control her emotions, she is dellusional, and can`t see herself. Cersei is a fool, but she is so different than Tywin. Tywin did horrors for reason, questionable reasons I know, but still it had some purpose. Cersei is doing horrible things out of idiocy.

Thank you, bbstark. It means so much when it comes from a dear friend.

I have to disagree with you on this one. If anyone is lion in ASOIAF, Tywin certainly is. The respect he gained is from his ferocity and intimidation, but that doesn`t mean people don`t respect me. Look at it this way. Boltons and Freys are those that people can`t fight at the moment, but they don`t have any respect towards them. Tywin, on the other hand, demands and gets respect. People may not like him, but they respect him. Enough to be afraid of him. I also don`t think he is fool. He had some really smart moves that won the War. Some will call them luck, but Tywin survived every war he fought in. No one is that lucky.

As for Cersei, she is fool, but not because of doing the same thing like her father, than opposite. She can`t control her emotions, she is dellusional, and can`t see herself. Cersei is a fool, but she is so different than Tywin. Tywin did horrors for reason, questionable reasons I know, but still it had some purpose. Cersei is doing horrible things out of idiocy.

hmm well I'm not sure I agree with you either. I'll try to clarify:

It's not that Tywin in some way failed at being a lion, he certainly is proud and ferocious like a lion, but that the fact he failed at earning the trust and respect from the people that are closest to him, his family, in the end made him look like an ass/fool. I think Cersei and Jaime's illicit affair is ample proof of their disrespect for their father. Same goes for Jaime's choice to be in the Kingsguard, and Cersei's choice against having any legitimate children with Robert. These are all conscious choices, and they do not take Tywin's approval in consideration, but they do hide it from him. In short, they don't respect him, but they fear him enough to keep it silent. Similarly, the way he marginalized Tyrion eventually landed him an arrow in the gut.

While the realm may have viewed him like a lion, his children made a fool out of him. My point is that it was his own making, by failing to earn their loyalty, trust and respect, and instead believing that demanding it was enough.

hmm well I'm not sure I agree with you either. I'll try to clarify:

It's not that Tywin in some way failed at being a lion, he certainly is proud and ferocious like a lion, but that the fact he failed at earning the trust and respect from the people that are closest to him, his family, in the end made him look like an ass/fool. I think Cersei and Jaime's illicit affair is ample proof of their disrespect for their father. Same goes for Jaime's choice to be in the Kingsguard, and Cersei's choice against having any legitimate children with Robert. These are all conscious choices, and they do not take Tywin's approval in consideration, but they do hide it from him. In short, they don't respect him, but they fear him enough to keep it silent. Similarly, the way he marginalized Tyrion eventually landed him an arrow in the gut.

While the realm may have viewed him like a lion, his children made a fool out of him. My point is that it was his own making, by failing to earn their loyalty, trust and respect, and instead believing that demanding it was enough.

Interesting POV, I have to admit I never thought of things that way.

But, as much as idea is alluring, the kids` choices is theirs, not their parents. What all of his three children have done, Tywin had nothing with that. I am not sure whether we can call Jaime`s enrollement in KG, or the incest as signs of disrespect. I think their actions after their father`s death speaks louder than what they have done when he was alive. I believe that Cersei, Jaime and Tyrion annulled Tywin`s work. Cersei with her idiocy, Jaime with his consciousness and redemption and Tyrion with his pity and anger. They didn`t make Tywin fool when he was alive, they are making him now when he is dead.

OK, here comes the second part of Cultural depictions of Lion - Medieval and modern depictions

This essay is divided in 3 sections:

1. Religious symbolism

2. Heraldry symbolism

3. Modern literature parallels

I am sorry for delay, I hope you`ll enjoy in it. This one was particularly difficult in editing process due to its length and composition. So, here we go...

CULTURAL DEPICTION OF LIONS - PART 2: MEDIEVAL AND MODERN DEPICTIONS

RELIGIOUS SYMBOLISM OF LIONS

From Far East to western cultures for thousands of years, lion thrived as positive symbol of courage, nobility and strength. Finding its place in various religions of the world, lion became one of the most respected symbols in medieval world.

Medieval period was time where religions of the world flourished. Christianity in Europe became dominant religion, and Islam was newly founded religion in the Middle East and North Africa. On the east, Hinduism and Buddhism continued their long tradition. It was era of deep piety, dogma and rule of Church dignitaries. Especially in Islam and Christianity, priests had been given great power and influence. So, talking about medieval art is actually talking about art created in churches, temples and courts of the time. And when you search for lions in medieval culture, the best known are those of religious symbolism.

Lion indeed survived the `humanization` of the art that happened in medieval world. Rare are the animals that remained so honored after the preaches of Christianity that man is God`s greatest work of art. Animals became exiled of the religion, and man took its place. Deities with animal faces and bodies were forgotten, and they were replaced by saints and prophets with human faces and bodies. Animals were used differently, and they basically lost their status. But, some endured the transition. Lion remained the powerful symbol in the culture, and became one of the most recognizable animals in religious art.

Positive imagery of lion isn`t created over night. From earliest pieces of art to ancient cultures` worshipers of animal-like Gods, lion was constantly present. Its influence on the east can be wonderfully seen in Buddhism and Hinduism. Since Buddhism was originally created as reformist movement within Hinduism, the symbolism of lion is practically the same in two religions. Lion has always been represented as symbol of great nobility, prowess and majesty. One of the most famous pieces of art in Indian culture is the Lion capitol of Ashoka. The sculpture originates 250 BC and depicts four Indian lions standing back to back. Impressive statute divides archeologists and art experts about the meaning of the sculpture. The one thing is certain – Lion capitol found its place in both Hinduism and Buddhism. The four lions of the sculpture in Hinduism represents `The Four Vedas`, and in Buddhism it represents `The Four Noble Truths`. Scientifically, Lion capitol is much closer to preaches of Buddhism, representing Buddha preaching Four Noble Truths that emphasizes the Middle Path.

The Four Noble Truths

1. Life means suffering.

2. The origin of suffering is attachment.

3. The cessation of suffering is attainable.

4. The path to the cessation of suffering.

Since Buddhism has influenced USA politics, culture, beliefs and art in past several decades, it is normal to discuss whether any idea had found its place in the world of ASOIAF. Martin, as a world traveler and self-taught historian, has met many cultures and was inspired by many historical events, so discussing possible influence of Buddhism is not so out of place. And since lion is in the very core of Buddha’s teachings, we`ll discuss the importance of these truths in Westerosi lions.

Life means suffering. The First Noble Truth speaks about inevitability of pain during our life, not just physical than also emotional. The life consists of periods of excruciating pain and great happiness, symbolizing life`s imperfection and impermanence. The ultimate point is that we`ll never able to keep permanently what we have and strife for, since life exchanges the moments of happiness with those of sorrow. On the first look, this idea very well describes Tyrion`s life. Born as dwarf, hated and feared by everyone, Tyrion`s moments of happiness were so rare, and even those were tainted with deceits made by his family. His physical pain is something he endures daily, and emotional scars have started to influence him and change him for good. But, also this truth talks about Lannister twins, especially Jaime. Many times, we have seen how Jaime`s ideals and happiness becomes broken like a porcelain vase. His pride moment after becoming Kingsguard was destroyed by Aerys` unkind words when he made clear Jaime was accepted only to angry Tywin. Jaime`s perverse moments of happiness with Cersei, was interrupted many times, either by their mother, Cersei`s marriage, Bran Stark, or last Jaime`s consciousness. His entire personality was questioned when he endured great pain and emotional distress when his hand was cut off. Cersei too learnt that sorrow and pain is part of life, between Robert`s molestations, Joffrey`s death, Jaime`s rejection and lastly utter devastation of her as power figure. And just like Joanna Lannister cried in Jaime`s dreams, symbolizing Tywin never got what he dreamed of, Martin tells us through ASOIAF, that life isn`t fair and that pain and death is part of living.

The origin of suffering is attachment. This truth talks about attachment to transient things and the ignorance thereof. Transient things include not just physical objects around us, then also our greatest ambitions and our dependency on them. Basically, it`s about craving and clinging, and because the objects of our attachment are transient, their loss is inevitable, thus suffering will necessarily follow. Whether we talk about Iron Throne, money, power, beauty, knightly ideals, Lannisters proved to be insatiable beasts. Each of four Lannisters craved for power and various things, and it led them to their demise. Cersei`s attachment to idea of power, beauty and richness, led her to imprisonment and suffer that followed. Jaime`s attachment to Cersei and knighthood, made of him Kingslayer. Tywin`s attachment to his wife and idea of utter control, caused him great pain every time he would lose it, especially the last time, when he was killed by his son. Tyrion`s attachment to Casterly Rock and his family, and loss of that ideal led him up to those stairs to kill his father and set him on journey of self-destruction. Lannister ambition is beyond merit, but their losses are what change them completely. Every time they would lose something, even if it is just a notion, it destroyed them.

The cessation of suffering is attainable. The cessation of suffering can be attained through nirodha. Nirodha means the unmaking of sensual craving and conceptual attachment. The third noble truth expresses the idea that suffering can be ended by attaining dispassion. This truth in most part can be related with Jaime and his incestuous relationship with Cersei. Jaime`s self-pity and self-loathing was once ended when he broke off his dependency of Cersei. Once he tore her letter, he became completely free of her, and all the suffering she caused in him ended. But it was a process, with Brienne that showed him the errors of his doings, and awakened his dead consciousness, through Tyrion`s accusation of Cersei, and her behavior towards Jaime. Once far from her, Jaime made the last move and completely cut her off.

The path to the cessation of suffering. There is a path to the end of suffering - a gradual path of self-improvement, which is the middle way between the two extremes of excessive self-indulgence (hedonism) and excessive self-mortification (asceticism); and it leads to the end of the cycle of rebirth. And here we continue the story about Jaime`s redemption and end of his sufferings. Jaime travels the narrow path between what is his new ideal, persona he wants to become, a knight he once was and what he was with Cersei. Jaime isn`t reformed all of a sudden, he isn`t completely changed man. We see how in him there are two sides now and that he walks between them. He is better man, but he is not saint. Jaime`s path of ending the suffering Cersei caused, involves Brienne and oath, but also freeing Tyrion and rewriting White book. Gradually, Jaime is changing, but not radically. For there is no such thing as radical change, for change is a path that takes time. Also, this noble truth can be related to Tyrion`s marriage, where he is true hedonist with Shae and true ascetic with Sansa. This middle road for Tyrion is something that truly shaped our image about him as someone of great virtue but also with human appetites.

So, four lions represent Four Noble truths in Buddhism, as also they can be related with four Lannister lions. Interestingly, just like in Lion capitol, four Lannisters are turned back to back each other, signifying great detachment of the family values. In their lives, each of them was betrayed by the other three, and comparing Lion capitol and ASOIAF, Martin`s lions represent not just Noble truths then also its application in ASOIAF, and where they lead Lannisters, away from each other.

Lion also played significant role in symbolism of Judaism and later Christianity. Most known symbol is Lion of Judah, representing one of the twelve Israeli tribes. The story about Judah, called `Young lion` who sold his brother Joseph to slavery from Book of Genesis, is one of the most important stories for the Jews. The story is about Joseph who was sold by his brothers into slavery, but due to his intelligence obtained powerful position in Egypt. After long draught, his brothers came to court to beg for food. Not recognizing him, his brothers talked to him, but Joseph ordered them to go back home and return with their youngest brother – Benjamin. They obeyed, and when they returned, Joseph trying to teach his brothers a lesson, planted silver cup into Benjamin`s bag. As a punishment for alleged crime, he demanded to take Benjamin as a slave. But Judah, then, offered himself instead of his father`s favorite, Benjamin. Throughout Genesis, the responsibility and care for beloved ones is a recurring theme. From Cain and Abel, and Cain`s demonstration to God of no remorse or responsibility for what he is done, Book of Genesis leads us to Judah, who openly admits his quilt, repents for it and sacrifices himself for his brother. To the question `Am I not my brother`s keeper? `and Cain`s obvious no, to Judah`s strong yes, the message is strong and very meaningful for the Jewish people, and the unity they should all aspire. Lion of Judah is much respected symbol in Jewish world and is the coat of arms of the city of Jerusalem.

Surpassing the Old Testament, Lion of Judah became important part of Christian world too. The most important figure of Christianity, Jesus Christ originates from the tribe Judah. In Christianity, lion has all the virtues that were given to it throughout millennia. It`s symbol of strength, valor, nobility. In Bible, lion is used to describe several noble figures such as Jesus Christ, called Lion of Judah, and St. Mark, one of four evangelists.

Due to medieval belief that baby lions are born dead, and that after three days they rise from death, lion has become associated with Resurrection and that`s why it also symbolizes Jesus. Lion as symbol of resurrection is also connected to St Mark who in his Gospel tells the story about Resurrection of the Christ. Therefore, in Venice, whose protector is St. Mark, lion plays important role in art and architecture. Due to another medieval belief about lions sleeping with open eyes, lion also became symbol of watchfulness and God`s omnipresence.

When we discuss lion in ASOIAF, the positive imagery of the Lion of Judah is not something that we usually refer it to. Especially, we don`t compare them to God, Jesus or any Saint at all. But, since GRRM has been raised as Catholic, we can draw several parallels between biblical and ASOIAF lions. The story about Judah and betrayal and rescue of the brother, is a great parallel with Jaime and Tyrion`s relationship. Jaime betrayed Tyrion when he lied him about Tysha, but rescued him when Tyrion was facing death. In a way, just like Judah repented himself in front of Joseph by offering himself instead of Benjamin, Jaime tried to repent himself by saving Tyrion from Cersei`s wrath. The resurrection theme and its connection with lions can be related through resurrection of Jaime`s knighthood and ideals he has forgotten, and I never thought I would say this, but watchful lion that in medieval era symbolized God, wonderfully depicts Tywin`s shrewd politics and machinations. Masterfully, GRRM plays with symbols and he uses them to create another, much different picture than you are accustomed to.

The youngest of great religions – Islam, also depicts lion as positive symbol of celestial rule, great courage and valor. In all corners of Islamic world, in all denominations, lion has been celebrated as figure of great importance. From Arabic to Turkey, all the way to Muslim Spain, lion appeared in art and culture. His divine status originates from Koran, where Caliphs were given titles `Lions of Gods` by the Prophet. In Turkish language, the word lion (aslan) also symbolizes hero. In Arabic culture, lion has been related to Sultans, and was used as demonstration of their rule and power. In Iran, the most known symbol is `Lion and Sun` that functions as main emblem of Iran, symbolizing divine and earthly power and rule.

Unfortunately, despite the positive connotation, lion in modern Arabic culture became also sinister symbol of terrorism. Lion in modern jihadist war became symbol of the worst known terrorist – Osama bin Laden, and lion is in jihadist propaganda commonly referred to him. Lions also depict personal strength and bravery and martyrs for faith. From symbol of divinity and valor, to death, destruction and religious wars, lion suffered tragic transition of symbolic values and degradation of its meaning.

Connections between Lannister lions and Islamic lions are rare. One of the most prominent is Nadir Al-Zaman`s `Jahangir and Shah Abbas`. The picture depicts Jahangir standing on the lion`s back embracing Shah Abbas, and both of them are on top of the world. Jahangir can be referenced to Joffrey whose power lied in his grandfather and his soldiers. Joffrey`s support in War of 5 Kings were Lannister lion that enabled him to remain on the Iron Throne.

The importance of religious symbolism isn`t just in medieval depictions, they also resonates in modern culture too. And although, churches and religions of the world changed throughout the centuries, symbols established centuries ago remained present, and can be seen in art and culture of modern civilization.

HERALDRY SYMBOLISM OF LIONS

Although animals weren`t seen anymore as strong religious symbols in medieval world, they remained as significant part of iconography. Exiled from shrines and religious compounds, animals found its place in heraldry. And following centuries-long tradition of positive imagery, lion became the most common part of coats of arms, sigils and flags across the medieval Europe.

Understanding of heraldry has strong military associations, due to the most likely scenario that first coat of arms were created in service of identification of knights in armour on battlefield. But it is believed that heraldry was also product of the feudal system of land-tenure in medieval Europe. Soon, heraldry became sign of distinction between nobles, and in military, recognition between knights. It is also believed that painted shields had more esthetic than practical use in warfare, due to the fact that in battle shield would have been unrecognizable. This esthetic use was the most noticeable during medieval tournaments, where knights used the paintings on the shields to be differentiated. Whatever was the reason, and most likely it was combination of military and civil use, heraldry in only 20 years (1135- 1155) was developed across Europe, when many Kings, lords and knights adopted various heraldic devices.

The very first documented example of arms on shield in Europe was when King Henry I of England knighted his son-in-law Geoffrey `Plantagenet`, Count of Anjou in 1127. He hung about his neck a shield painted with gold lions on Azure ground. This documentation shows us that lions were used as heraldic symbols from its very beginning. The first King who used official Royal arms was Henry II and he used three lions passant depicting William the Conqueror and his sons. Lions quickly became part of heraldry across the Europe. In Venice, lion in heraldic devices were used as symbol of St. Mark, protector of Venice. In Spain, lion was used for Leon, part of Castilian Kingdom. In England, official Royal arms of three lions passant were used until Edward III claimed the French throne. Then the official Royal arms were quartered with the arms of France. Two quarters were depicting fleurs-de-lis, and two lions passant. These Royal arms remained in use until 1603, with James I coming to the throne thus uniting England and Scotland, when Scottish lion rampant and Irish golden harp became parts of Royal Arms. The quartered coat of arms remained until modern days, and with slight moderation is still in use as coat of arms of Elizabeth II.

Lions in heraldry are, as previously said, quite commonly used. And although modern popular belief that coat of arms must have some symbolical meaning has no historical basis, at least not at first. But the preponderance of lions among beasts can be only explained that lion is perceived as distinguished, respected symbol in heraldry. From what we know about medieval depictions of lions from `New dictionary of Heraldry` published in 1725 in London, lion was chosen to represent greatest Houses in Kingdom. Lion represented Command and Monarchial Dominion, and also was the emblem of Vigilance. By exercising Awe and Clemency, heraldic lion symbolically subdues those that resist and spares those that humble themselves.

In medieval heraldry lion could have been depicted in several attitudes. Most common were rampant, like the one on Scottish coat of arms, and passant, like those on medieval English Royal arms. With development of heraldry, more distinctions were made and today we differentiate several other positions like statant, salient, sejant, dormant etc. Lions are usually colored golden, yellow or of color that is similar to natural color of lion`s fur. And although lions can be found in different colors like blue or red, in medieval heraldry is seen as contradiction to nature. Also, the coloring of lion is monochromatic, his entire fur is colored with one color, while his teeth and talons, used as weapons in nature and even tongue, are colored differently. Also, the one part of lion`s body that is especially regarded is lion`s mane. Thickness of lion`s mane in heraldry is a testimony of his noble birth and generous nature, thus differentiating him from degenerate and bastard race of leopards begotten between the adulteress lioness and pard.

Lion in ASOIAF as heraldic symbol is used for two Houses – House Lannister and House Reyne. The coat of arms of House Lannister is golden lion passant, armed and langued gules on crimson field and coat of arms of House Reyne is red lion rampant regardant with forked tail, armed and langued gold, on silver. Although they share lion as heraldic symbol, these two Houses competed in wealth, until Reynes rebelled against Lannisters, on what Lannisters retaliated by exterminating entire House. After the rebellion, famous but sinister song `Rains of Castamere` was made after events in rebellion.

According to what we know about both Houses, despite being extremely rich, is that both Houses were proud, vain, and powerful. Lion symbolized their strength and influence. Historically, people connect these two Houses with rebellion of Simon de Montfort against Edward I `Longshanks`, but also heraldically speaking, the battle between Lannisters and Reynes can be interpreted as Edward`s pretensions towards Scottish throne. As was said, passant Lannister lion is quite similar to his English counterpart, while Reynes rampant lion is similar but not the same (attitude is quite different) of Scottish Royal arms. Also, the same symbolic figure with different colors is something War of Roses is famous for, since Houses York and Lancaster took the rose as their sigil, with difference in color.

Just like in medieval heraldry, Lannister lion is symbol of strength and power. They are vain, rich House who boasts with their sinister accomplishments and reputation that precedes them. They are descendents of the Kings, most powerful House in the Realm. But, all the virtues of the heraldic lion are actually Lannisters` flaws. Traditional lion`s qualities like pride, courage, nobility in Lannister lion got hew meaning – vanity, cowardice and misguided idea of grandeur. What Martin did with Stark wolf, transforming it from malevolent predator to noble figure, he did with Lannister lion, only in opposite direction. From noble and virtuous animal, he transformed it to savage beast. Lannister lion isn`t positive symbol, it`s symbol of sinister power and tyrannical rule.

MODERN LITERATURE PARALLELS

Each time brings new symbols and new references, and authors are always most influenced by what surrounds them. To find out how Lannister lion fits into modern perspective of lion symbolism, we have to talk about lions in modern literature and culture. And most famous lion characters of the 20th and 21st centuries are:

1. Cowardly lion from The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

2. Aslan from Chronicles of Narnia

3. Lion King from Disney production

4. Gryffindor lion from Harry Potter series

The four mentioned lions represent the noble, powerful animals. They are the symbols established throughout the history, and they continue the tradition of positive depiction of lions. But, those lions are not just examples of positive imagery. They are more than that, and they symbolize more than just virtues of traditional lion. They deal with human emotions and problems and are closer to Martin`s `humanized` lion, for where they started in humanization, Martin continued giving the lion full range of human emotions and deepening the created image.

The Cowardly lion is definitely one of the most famous lions of 20th century. The character was written by L. Frank Baum for the novel The Wonderful Wizard of Oz from 1900, and became worldly known after 1939 movie adaptation. The story of Cowardly Lion is about self-discovery, understanding that what we search for is already in us. The imaginary road of yellow bricks that leads to the city of Oz is the journey we all take once in a lifetime. We all search for ideals we think we don`t possess, we think that something outside could change us. Some of us even go and seek help, but if I know anything, it is that the greatest ideal, most beautiful virtue can be found somewhere deep inside every one of us. And search for that ideal is always the purpose of our lives. Not the search for richness and material things, but the very thing that is hidden in our hearts. And that`s what Cowardly Lion`s story teaches us - that every self-improvement must come from inside not outside.

The parallels between Cowardly Lion and Lannisters are noticeable in 2 characters – Jaime and Tyrion. Just like Cowardly Lion wasn`t aware of courage inside of him, Tyrion never thought he could lead men in battle. Tyrion`s courage despite his physical limitations is demonstrated when he fights whole-heartedly against the enemy. Jaime`s story on the other hand makes beautiful parallel between the moral of the novel. His pursuit for his own lost knighthood, and principles he claims he stopped believing, is very similar to moral where the things we search are already in us. Brienne, in Jaime`s story, is functioning like Dorothy, and she leads him through his redemption and his quest for better persona.

Disney`s fairytales are light, childish pieces of art. Almost all of them depict very clear fight between good and evil, and the moral is that good always win. The fairytales, indeed inapplicable in real life of adults, carry sometimes simple, but deep life truth. In this Hamlet-inspired fairytale about lions on Pride Rock, we are taken on story of quest and conquest, reclaiming what`s rightfully yours and preserving the legacy and order of things in ever-lasting circle of life. Although this movie had followed some controversies regarding possible political messages, and wrong depiction of hyenas, movie is first and foremost, meant for children, to teach them valuable lesson of legacy, and family.

Whether this story subconsciously influenced Martin, it`s hard to tell. Martin`s world is far deeper and darker, and enemies are not that easily detectable, and on a first guess, you would certainly say no. But, the story about young lion who `killed` his father, and started living by the motto `hakuna matata`, only to find himself again back home is much noble, simpler and benevolent version of Tyrion`s story. Martin`s young lion did kill his father, his `hakuna matata` is in drinking, whoring and general lack of consciousness and his desire to see home is nothing more than ambition mixed with overwhelming desire to pay the debts. Even more musical parallel can be drawn between Tyrion and the song

from Lion King part II: Simba`s Pride. The song literally describes Tyrion`s tragic life and heinous crime of kinslaying, but unlike in the song where they allowed Kovu to run, Tyrion is pretty much hunted man.

The Disney story is indeed childish view on the world. The parallels made between Martin`s world and Disney`s is in fact the parallel we make between 8 and 48 year-old man. The comparison between child and adult and parallel how one theme evolves and gets adult, deep, and serious note is truly how parallel between any Disney story and ASOIAF works.

Somewhere between childish version of Disney`s lion and very adult message of Cowardly Lion, J.K. Rowling positioned the Gryffindor lion and its virtues in the modern literature. The lion symbolism in Harry Potter is yet another example of positive depiction of lion`s bravery, valor and nobility. Gryffindor as one of four Houses of Hogwarts is for those brave, daring and chivalrous. Gryffindor was protector of the Muggle-born unlike his friend and later enemy Slytherin. Gryffindor golden and red lion is symbol of perfect knighthood, and all the ideals that comes with it. And no one better fits into that role than the hero of the story – Harry Potter.

Although Harry Potter`s bravery is completely unchallenged during the course of seven books, making it completely uninteresting and one-dimensional POV, the courage of the other `true Gryffindor` is far more interesting. Neville Longbottom`s character doesn`t have the unchallenged courage, he isn`t daredevil as Harry sometimes looks like, or the hero Harry is. Neville is just a simple boy who is scared by normal things, like his strict professor of Potions, or flying. Also, one of the very best notions of courage is the one that comes from our hearts, and the love we feel. Unattainable power of love is demonstrated through the acts of courage. One of the very best quotes in the series about courage and making the choice between fighting and running from what is truly inevitable:

It was, he thought, the difference between being dragged into the arena to face a battle to the death and walking into the arena with your head held high. Some people, perhaps, would say that there was little to choose between the two ways, but Dumbledore knew — and so do I, thought Harry, with a rush of fierce pride, and so did my parents — that there was all the difference in the world.

This notion of fighting with your head high as the noble and the only way, is something Lannisters really aren`t acquainted with. They participate in battles, machinations and games, and whether they walk willingly into it or being dragged; they fight with highest stakes – their own lives. Lannister philosophy isn`t about how you enter the battle, it`s all about how you get out. Do what must be done, just to survive. This very contrast between gold and red Gryffindor and Lannister lion is actually the contrast between Gryffindor and Slytherin in the books. But as much as Lannister`s machinations and cunnings are huge part of who they are, in them there is a absolutely great amount of bravery, and uncompromising behavior. They are always ready to attack, and they fear nothing and no one but themselves. Martin`s lion is both Rowling`s both snake and lion, with courage that is undoubtedly enhanced with ability to play dirty when the situation requires.

Among the most famous lions in literature of the 20th century is Aslan from the Chronicles of Narnia written by C. S. Lewis. Aslan is the King of Narnia, benevolent King of beasts, with magical authority. Aslan is by author`s remark a version of Christ. Throughout the series, Aslan is shown as great authority, powerful figure, pride but compassionate and kind. Aslan is epitome of everything that is good. The biblical parallels between Aslan and Christ, and his utter benevolent nature make him hard for comparison to Lannister lion. The only obvious contrast is Aslan`s singing that created the world and `Rains of Castamere` that serves as sinister display of power. All in all, Aslan isn`t close both symbolically or literally to what Martin`s idea of lions is. But, Aslan did fortify the position of the lion in the modern literature as King of the beasts, continuing therefore positive depiction of the long-esteemed symbol.

Some authors make parallels, some are influenced by history, and others yet create their own mythologies. It`s author`s prerogative to decide how to play with symbols. And, Martin`s lion was deprived of the many traditional virtues, but was also improved as beast. But Martin hasn`t just turned symbolism upside down, and created totally new picture. No, by extracting what`s noble in lion he gave a lion chance to be symbol of human pursuit of power and glory, he enriched lion with imagination and human capability for heinousness. And that`s where Martin proved to be the true artist in painting with symbols.

From religious analogies, through medieval art and heraldry, to modern depictions of lion, the world had very one-dimensional idea about King of beasts. What we forgot by giving the beast profound benevolent characterization, Martin didn`t. He reminded us that under the beauty of mane, glorified golden symbol and poetic interpretation, hides a beast ready to kill. And that`s the essence of Lannister lion.

Thanks for the second part Mladen. Really good read through and great comparisons all round.

Keep up the good work.

I am glad you liked it... It was really a bitch of an essay... Too many details, too many directions... I have been editing it for the past 3 days.

Thank you very much. I hope you`ll stay and join the discussion when it starts...

I am glad you liked it... It was really a bitch of an essay... Too many details, too many directions... I have been editing it for the past 3 days.

Thank you very much. I hope you`ll stay and join the discussion when it starts...

I'll try my best in the discussions :)

Is it me or is there a similarity between the Reyne uprising against the "alpha male lion", Lannisters. Like another male lion challenging the alpha male for the top spot?

I'll try my best in the discussions :)

Is it me or is there a similarity between the Reyne uprising against the "alpha male lion", Lannisters. Like another male lion challenging the alpha male for the top spot?

There is a great similarities between that, especially given the fact how Reynes ended... But, we`ll talk about that after essay about lion psychology and behavior is posted... Now, we`ll focus on various symbolic interpretations of lion imagery, and what you all think about parallels.

I know that they are not important, but you forgot about House Osgrey, their sigil was a lion too.

Excellent work, as always, Mladen.

Thank you, WinterKing. I am really pleased to hear that.

As for Osgreys, to be honest, I didn`t know they have a lion on their sigil. I was more focused on Lannister/Reyne interaction, and also Osgreys are not that important in ASOIAF to make a difference. Thank you, although for correction.

WOW! Really amazing work. I'm so impressed. :bowdown: I will need more time to read through before can even attempt anything intelligent to say with regard to this beauty of a "beast".

WOW! Really amazing work. I'm so impressed. :bowdown: I will need more time to read through before can even attempt anything intelligent to say with regard to this beauty of a "beast".

:blushing: :blushing: :blushing: . It means a lot when this assessment comes from you. Thank you, Blisscraft... I am really humbled with your praise.

Beautiful stuff as always Mladen .. :) ... THe way you pen the essay without going over-board & even-handed throughout from a very rational point of view is genuinely worth admiring . A rare trait indeed !! :)

The Lion characteristics are well in sync with the Lannister behavior depicted in the books ( the good & the bad ) .....

Personally , of all the other houses , I find that the Lannisters especially Tywin very focussed on bringing the Lion aspect of their house to the forefront .. to the point that it seems like a forced adoption of an ideology . Perhaps I might have misunderstood it with a trait of real world lions focussing on their pride to be the most dominant in the region . I have always wondered if such a trait has been consciously built by y owing to the following set of reasons : -

1. The origins of Lannisters ... with the trickery involved ... It's like the present era is subconsciously suffering from some deep-rooted inferiority complex about their origins that they want to see themselves as the House of all houses .

2. The Tywin - Aerys conversation that clear depicted the Dragon considering the Lions to be servants always ...

3. The attitudes of the Lannisters - Tywin ( being ruthless to the point of domination ) ; Cersei ( her ambition to be the over-lord of things despite the handicap of being a woman in those days ) .... Jaime ( Wants to be adored as the fearless & magnificent Lion ) .. and Tyrion ( as a side-lined Lion prince who feels @ home when he outsmarts, out-manueveurs & out-think others )

4. The hard born pride ( 'By what right does a Wolf judge a lion ?!' )

Just a few things that I have felt about the house ..

Great essays, Mladen. The Ass in the Lion skin reference in the earlier essay got me thinking about Lann the Clever. Like the donkey in the fable, Lann uses trickery to accomplish his goal. Does anyone wonder what the Casterly’s sigil was and whether Lann took that along with the castle? Even if Lann just took the castle, I think that alone still suggests that the Lannisters are not true lions but just dress up in lion skin. While they have a lot of lion characteristics, as fantastically noted, I think that comes more from pretending to be lions for so long. Because they try so hard to be lions, it comes across as overcompensation. IMO, Leaf’s comment about lions being extinct in Westeros seems to support the idea that Lannisters are not lions. Illyrio’s comment about Tyrion not being the Lannister sigil becomes even more apt. And it’s another interesting way the Starks are different from the Lannisters because unlike the Lannisters, the Starks can become direwolves.

Amazing! the kind of work that makes this forum so special...

The religious symbolism essay reminded me of this painting - beautiful contrast between the coloring of the lions and the Lannister crimson cloth, don't you think?

The painting is called "Daniel in the lion's den" and it depicts the salvation of prophet Daniel. He was punished by being thrown in a pit with hungry lions, but he prayed to his god and the god saved him. Several days later, he was found unharmed.

Two ways to link it to the Lannisters; first -and not so relevant- is Tyrion jousting with Penny in the arena of Meereen. Ironically, the little lion was going to be fed to real lions and was saved by Daenerys (who appears to be the contractor of salvations :)).

The second is the story of little Aegon, Varys' version. The Lannisters here, represented by Tywin's pet monsters, are portrayed as human-eating beasts, ready to devour the innocent little baby - who may not be a prophet, but he's supposed to be the prophesized one. Varys in the role of god adds an extra layer of hilarious effect...

Anyway, in this story the lion is depicted in a different way than a symbol of courage and nobility; it highlights the facet of the savage beast. I think that our lions display both facets, Tyrion and Jaime having them distributed more evenly.

The thing is, that lions aren't the king of beasts.

They don't even live in the damn jungle, they're plains animals.

They don't even go in the water when crocs are visible.

Tigers are more dangerous, powerful and they actually live in jungles!

Swim without fear in deep water and hunt anything.

Don't know why i made this point, but lions exaltation and crickets for the true king bothers me.

Archived