Ice and Fire animal project II: Lions

Mladen

Thanks... I have written a lot, but editing is bitch... It's hard when you have around 20 pages of essay... Also, I have been working on outline for entire Animal project, and that took me time... Keep in touch, my friend :)

20 essays!? Must be really tiring.

I just wanna say thanks for spending so much time on these essays to share with us. I really enjoy reading them and how insightful they are and and how they show us how certain characters or Houses are because of the animal they're based off. :cheers:

OP NOTIFICATION:

When I began Animal project in April, I couldn’t even hoped for response I got from this community. In the past months, Animal project received praises from so many of you, that I really thought it would be best to present you with an outline for entire project I plan to write. The plan is to do at least once a month, with exception of August of 2013 where both Stag and Dragon project will be started. Suggestions, as always, are more than welcome. Those of you that want to join our quest will be gladly accepted. So, here it is:

1. Wolf

2. Lion

3. Stag

4. Dragon

5. Kraken

6. Fish

7. Dog

8. Cat

9. Bear

10. Snake

11. Pig* - waiting mods’ approval

12. Fox

13. Horse

14. Spider

15. Mockingbird

16. Frog

17. Tiger and elephant

18. Ornithology subproject: Raven

19. Ornithology subproject: Crow

20. Ornithology subproject: Falcon

21. Ornithology subproject: Sparrow

22. Mythology creatures subproject: Giants

23. Mythology creatures subproject: Mermaid

24. Mythology creatures subproject: Griffon

25. Mythology creatures subproject: Harpy

26. Botanic spin-off project: Rose

27. Botanic spin-off project: Onion

28. Astronomy spin-off project: Sun

29. Astronomy spin-off project: Stars

30. Astronomy spin-off project: Moon

After much deliberation, due to the length of Lion psychology and behavior essay (believe it or not, the essay is around 30 pages long), and that of course would lead to inevitability to read it, let alone to reply on it, I have decided to divide it in several parts that will be posted with approximate two-three days apart.

1. Behavioral patterns of prides, nomads and relationship between them

2. Analysis of behavioral patterns and relationships within pride

3. Facial expression, posture and roar

4. Mating behavior

5. Food habits and hunting techniques

6. Comparative analysis of lion behavior and lion motifs in ASOIAF

Nevertheless, I hope you will all enjoy in what I have written. Here comes the first part

Behavioral patterns of prides, nomads and relationship between them

Quite unique among the big cats, lions tend to form cohesive social units called prides. The other cats usually unite only for reproductive purposes, while prides are long-term unions that sometimes can last for entire life. Lion’s ability to have social life has always been interesting to writers and artists, and is one of the main behavioral patterns used as lion motif in art and literature.

We separate two basic types of lions: residents, which live during some period at one place, mostly as pride members and nomads which wander widely often following migratory herds. These two groups are not mutually exclusive, but there is a certain dichotomy between them. Resident lions are known to become nomads due to a number of reasons as nomads can also be accepted as residents in certain areas. Pride in this report denotes specifically any resident lionesses with their cubs, as well as the attending males, which share a pride area and which interact peacefully. Although males are important for existence and survival of the pride, lionesses are those that truly represent the backbone of the pride.

There is a great diversity in numbers of the members in a pride, and these numbers are constantly changing. The average number of animals in pride is somewhere between 10 and 15, depending mostly on location, climate, and available prey, ranging from 4 to the maximum of 22 recorded in Serengeti national park, Tanzania, East Africa. Average pride consists of 2-4 males, several adult females, and few cubs. On the last count, the super pride in Serengeti had 8 lionesses, 2 male lions, and 12 adolescents and cubs. This is the largest pride known today. Pride is constantly changing, and determining the number of its members is particularly difficult. Cubs grow up and leave pride to start life on their own, males gets killed or die, cubs are slaughtered when another male claims the pride and so on.

At the beginning of ASOIAF, Lannister pride consists of:

1. Tywin Lannister – the patriarch of the family

2. Tywin’s three children – Cersei, Jaime and Tyrion

3. Tywin’s grandchildren Joffrey, Tommen and Myrcella

4. Tywin’s brother Kevan and his sons Lancel, Willem, Martyn

5. Tywin’s nephew Tyrek

6. Tywin’s sister Genna, her husband Emmon Frey, and their children

Over the course of ASOIAF, the structure of Lannister pride significantly changes:

1. Dead: Tywin, Joffrey, Kevan, Tyrek*, Willem, Cleos

2. Exiled: Tyrion

3. Changed allegiances: Jaime and Lancel

4. Separated from others: Myrcella

Cohesion of the pride isn’t established by all members being at the same place during some period of time. Members, even certain groups inside of pride can be widely scattered over the pride area. Therefore, the only way to establish whether certain lion belongs to a pride is to observe its interaction with other pride members.

Lannister pride is introduced through its three main members: Cersei, Jaime and Tyrion, and of course Cersei’s three children. Immediately Lannisters are positioned as very proud, vain and very closeted and mistrustful family. Cersei’s beauty and unkind eyes, Jaime’s dangerous smile and Tyrion’s ugliness made quite stunning first impression. And yet for all their differences in appearance and position, there is no doubt that these three belong to one pride.

Every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way. Tolstoy’s famous quote perfectly describes the parallels and opposites between Stark pack and Lannister pride, made on the first encounter. And although there are certainly issues Starks should tend to, Lannister family problems are on different level. From incestuous relationship between Jaime and Cersei, to hatred towards Tyrion, and obvious ‘daddy issues’ all three of them have, Lannister pride is as dysfunctional as you can get. But, nonetheless, there is no doubt that they all have many things in common, and that they are truly a family. But, unlike Starks, whose different paths never changed who they essentially are, for Lannisters separation means also change of allegiance. While Starks’ paths will most likely unite them, the paths Lannisters have been taking individually always will inevitably lead them to opposite sides.

The territorialism of lions is well-known. The male of the pride use urine to mark their pride area, and after that, on the first sign of the nomads or other predators, they use roar as explicit signal that hunt on their territory is strictly forbidden. So, it’s no wonder that this behavioral pattern has been profoundly integrated in ASOIAF. Whether we talk about wars and claiming the titles, or rather grounded psychological issues Lannisters have, every single one of them is quite ready and capable of defending what’s theirs.

The unofficial anthem of house Lannister, the sinister song “Rains of Castamere” is one of the best proofs of Lannister territorialism. The well-known story shows wonderful parallels with real life lions. The defense of the interests, punishing disobedient, killing the last member of the opposite pride, and reproducing such roar through song that its tune made so many quiver. But the “Rains of Castamere“ has become modus operandi for Lannisters. From showing allegiance with dead Targaryen babes to utter destruction of House Stark, and submitting the last Stark family member to their will, Lannisters in battles never went half way. The end of their enemies is usually so final. Something like when the pride is claimed, the new lions kill all the cubs of previous male lions and take the lionesses as mating partners.

On political level, there is always a struggle to grasp as much power as you can get. Even among the Lannisters, there is a certain animosity in the air. With difference that Lannister progeny doesn’t fight only for power, but also for the patriarch’s approval. The game between Tyrion and Cersei, isn’t about grasping the greatest power, it’s actually taking the second place after their father. Cersei wants the respect she was, as a woman, constantly denied, and Tyrion, wants, what he believes, is his. Both of them wanted something their father would never give them, but they fought so viciously for every bit of power. Another political level where we perfectly see Lannister territorialism is their relationship with allies. They are ready to give only what they think should give. Not for a nanosecond, Tyrells, Boltons or Freys could ever hope for more, even though they tried. Tyrells failed in their attempt to jump over Lannisters and marry Sansa to Willas, uniting North and Reach, two greatest Kingdoms. Boltons and Freys got crumbs of power, and what’s worse were screwed royally. The mastermind behind Red Wedding, man without whom it would never be organized, remained clear in the eyes of men. Boltons and Freys got despise of the entire 7 Kingdoms, from Dorne to North, not mentioning that they got poisonous apples. Boltons were appointed as temporarily Wardens of the North, and Freys got only a Riverrun castle. If Tywin lived, they would see that what they got is actually so little.

The interactions between prides and between prides and nomads raise several points and provide some generalizations. Neighboring prides, as well as certain nomads and prides, meet each other a number of times, and it is likely that some animals know each other individually as a result of such contacts. Lion behavior and the responses of others toward it are often influenced by what has happened in the past. On the whole, prides tend to be antagonistic toward members of other prides and toward nomads, but several factors temper the severity of interaction. The peaceful coexistence and the respect of pride area are essential for good neighboring interactions. As long as the members of other prides and nomads respect the designated pride area, not hunt within it and not attack the pride, one pride can live for long time in one place.

The peaceful, but nonetheless illusive coexistence at the beginning of ASOIAF quickly is disturbed. And although we can argue that it all began with the Bran’s misfortunate climbing, the fact is that future confrontation is deeply rooted in previous encounters between Starks and Lannisters. Obvious animosity and strife between two families was fertile land for the seeds of suspicion and mistrust. Therefore, the entire conflict between lions and wolves of ASOIAF has actually begun long before Bran’s climbing or Lysa’s letter. The previous contacts determined the future relationship, and the fact Ned never forgave Lannisters their crimes, or Lannisters never forgetting Ned’s demands determined the course of the books.

Interestingly, a resident lion will ultimately accept a nomad or a member from another pride of the opposite sex but not one of its own. Males and females both help to maintain the integrity of their pride by selectively excluding others of their own sex. When we see how Cersei hated her future daughters-in-law, both Sansa and Margaery, how Tywin and Tyrion never trusted any male around them, with emphasis on Tyrion’s weakness towards opposite gender, and ultimately how the first person who ever broke Jaime’s secretive shield is Brienne, one can discuss a lot about Lannister’s mistrust to accept the members of their own gender.

In conclusion, pride members certainly are aggressive toward their neighbors, both resident and nomad, but it may be argued that such antagonism does not indicate defense of a particular area but merely represents a general animosity toward any stranger. This idea wonderfully depicts Lannister relationship with everybody in the kingdom. The illusion of peaceful coexistence is allowed as long as others don’t meddle in their affairs or intercept them on their way to power. Lannisters are not loyal to each other, let alone to others. Cersei was never loyal to Robert, and although they share the quilt for failed marriage, Cersei never made a single attempt. Tywin showed how mistrustful a good politician has to be, never allowing both his allies and enemies to keep him blind. This strong feeling of isolation is also present in Jaime’s and Tyrion’s storyarc, even though they are presented as relatively more open-minded and acceptable of others than Tywin or Cersei.

In creating Lannister pride, Martin made some wonderful parallels with the nature. The closeted nature of the members, territorialism, strict hierarchy, and aggressive behavior towards strangers are all something biologists have noticed as striking behavioral patterns of lions. But, unlike with wolves, where nature is used as the support of deep human emotions and love between family members, with Lannisters everything is reversed. All the things that make lions so unique are used to create dysfunctional family with deeply-rooted issues. Lannister pride is indeed nest of some troublesome lions where every virtue they might have is used strictly and solely for their own individual interests.

Great post, I've just finished reading it.

Question about the thing about a resident lion accepting a nomad or a member from another pride of the opposite sex, how would Taena Merryweather fit into that with Cersei, if it does fit in with it? Cersei doesn't not trust her and doesn't think of her as a spy, so she's accepted someone from who is the same sex, but doesn't hate her.

Great post, I've just finished reading it.

Question about the thing about a resident lion accepting a nomad or a member from another pride of the opposite sex, how would Taena Merryweather fit into that with Cersei, if it does fit in with it? Cersei doesn't not trust her and doesn't think of her as a spy, so she's accepted someone from who is the same sex, but doesn't hate her.

You have to remember how Cersei treated her. Basically, Cersei took the role of male attending, and she used Taena to satisfy her sexual frustrations. This wasn't classical woman/woman friendship. Cersei imagined most of the time she is male...

You have to remember how Cersei treated her. Basically, Cersei took the role of male attending, and she used Taena to satisfy her sexual frustrations. This wasn't classical woman/woman friendship. Cersei imagined most of the time she is male...

Ah, ok now I get it.

Thank you for the wonderful analysis Mladen! I remember loving Nature when I was younger and this series of threads is such a delightful "Nature meets ASoIaF" amalgamation~

It really is striking, after reading your analysis, how similar the Lannisters truly are to their sigil. Rather than being motivated by love for each other, they defend each other because they are all members of the same pride - rather than defending their siblings/loved ones, the Lannisters are defending the pride. To draw an mmorpg example, their behavior reminds me of guild-behavior in mmorpgs at times - although players do form attachments to certain members of the guild, the loyalty is usually first and foremost to the guild itself, so guild members will support other guild members that they do not like simply because of the shared allegiance.

A few questions:

Is it typical, in pride behavior, for the alpha male to be challenged and killed by another male that has felt increasingly marginalized in the pride/not given his due? What is the usual result of this action? Will other males/members of the pride turn on the "kingslayer" or would they choose to follow him instead? (Trying to further analyze Tyrion's situation)

Do members of a pride that become nomads (a la Jaime) ever reintegrate into the pride?

It is interesting that Tyrion is falsely accused of killing a cub that is being groomed to be the next alpha (Joffrey), but does indeed kill the true alpha (Tywin).

Thank you for the wonderful analysis Mladen! I remember loving Nature when I was younger and this series of threads is such a delightful "Nature meets ASoIaF" amalgamation~

It really is striking, after reading your analysis, how similar the Lannisters truly are to their sigil. Rather than being motivated by love for each other, they defend each other because they are all members of the same pride - rather than defending their siblings/loved ones, the Lannisters are defending the pride. To draw an mmorpg example, their behavior reminds me of guild-behavior in mmorpgs at times - although players do form attachments to certain members of the guild, the loyalty is usually first and foremost to the guild itself, so guild members will support other guild members that they do not like simply because of the shared allegiance.

Thank you, Lala. Officially, welcome to Animal project. I hope you like all the essays, and that you'll stay with us.

With Lannisters we have dichotomy of lion metaphors. On one side, the symbolism and positive imagery that lasted for millenia is completely changed in ASOIAF to the point where you can claim Lannisters are no lions, and on the other side, there are quite a lot of scientific facts that work completely against what's previously said. Comparing lion symbolism and biology knowledge, we get the whole picture, and Lannister lion isn't one clear picture. Unlike the Stark wolf, there is certain disconnect between imagery, nature and what Lannisters truly represent.

Is it typical, in pride behavior, for the alpha male to be challenged and killed by another male that has felt increasingly marginalized in the pride/not given his due?

No, typically no. Also, there is no alpha male in pride. Each pride has several males that are attending the lionesses and their cubs. The situation with Tywin and Tyrion is quite unlikely within pride, but also can indicate nomadic status Tyrion felt he had. And that explains much better the killing.

Do members of a pride that become nomads (a la Jaime) ever reintegrate into the pride?

History determines relationship between lions. If, for some reason, lion/lioness wants to return to pride, the process may endure for some time, but eventually, will be accepted back. This of course, function better with males, due to larger number of lionesses who can tolerate new male. As I said, acceptance of the same-sex animal is quite difficult process.

It is interesting that Tyrion is falsely accused of killing a cub that is being groomed to be the next alpha (Joffrey), but does indeed kill the true alpha (Tywin)

Thing about Tyrion is that detachment he feels from his family, and he basically adopts nomadic status. But, as accused of killing Joffrey, Tyrion unwillingly made Cersei his worst enemy. Lionesses are protective of their cubs, and once their children are endangered, they fight fiercly alongside males with possible intruders.

Lion pride functions on basis of cooperation between groups. Males work with each other, females tend to each other cubs, companionships are made between sexes, but male companionships are for life. This wonderfully parallels relationship Jaime and Tyrion have which is the closest one in Lannister pride.

Thank you, Lala. Officially, welcome to Animal project. I hope you like all the essays, and that you'll stay with us.

Thank you! I certainly plan to~

With Lannisters we have dichotomy of lion metaphors. On one side, the symbolism and positive imagery that lasted for millenia is completely changed in ASOIAF to the point where you can claim Lannisters are no lions, and on the other side, there are quite a lot of scientific facts that work completely against what's previously said. Comparing lion symbolism and biology knowledge, we get the whole picture, and Lannister lion isn't one clear picture. Unlike the Stark wolf, there is certain disconnect between imagery, nature and what Lannisters truly represent.

I need to catch up on the previous essays but off the top of my head, it almost seems as if Lannisters express the same dichotomy that is present in the symbolism/nature of lions - they seem to perceive themselves as representing the symbolism while they are truly embodying the nature.

No, typically no. Also, there is no alpha male in pride. Each pride has several males that are attending the lionesses and their cubs. The situation with Tywin and Tyrion is quite unlikely within pride, but also can indicate nomadic status Tyrion felt he had. And that explains much better the killing.

Would this be considered a distinction between the Lannisters and lions then? Since Tywin comes across as very alpha, with all of the other members of the pride falling in line with his wishes and seeking his approbation.

History determines relationship between lions. If, for some reason, lion/lioness wants to return to pride, the process may endure for some time, but eventually, will be accepted back. This of course, function better with males, due to larger number of lionesses who can tolerate new male. As I said, acceptance of the same-sex animal is quite difficult process.

Interesting. Thank you =D

Thing about Tyrion is that detachment he feels from his family, and he basically adopts nomadic status. But, as accused of killing Joffrey, Tyrion unwillingly made Cersei his worst enemy. Lionesses are protective of their cubs, and once their children are endangered, they fight fiercly alongside males with possible intruders.

Lion pride functions on basis of cooperation between groups. Males work with each other, females tend to each other cubs, companionships are made between sexes, but male companionships are for life. This wonderfully parallels relationship Jaime and Tyrion have which is the closest one in Lannister pride.

I suppose Tywin and Kevan can be seen in the same light~

I need to catch up on the previous essays but off the top of my head, it almost seems as if Lannisters express the same dichotomy that is present in the symbolism/nature of lions - they seem to perceive themselves as representing the symbolism while they are truly embodying the nature.

Nicely said. Yes, there are a lot of behavioral patterns that Lannisters have in common with lions, but the created imagery about lions is totally different of what they represent. As you wonderfully pointed out GRRM stayed loyal to nature, but not to symbolism.

Lions often symbolize dynastic pride. They can also signify ferocity and power. What type of Lions live near Casterly Rock?

What do you mean, what type of lions? Like, what type of animal? I am not sure whether there are any lions anymore in Westerlands.

As for dynastic pride, British dynasties are best example of that. From Plantagenets to Windzors.

What do you mean, what type of lions? Like, what type of animal? I am not sure whether there are any lions anymore in Westerlands.

As for dynastic pride, British dynasties are best example of that. From Plantagenets to Windzors.

The wolves that the Starks have are Direwolves, which have their own distinct size, facial features, behaviors. I was wondering what type of Lions are Lannister lions. What is the size, weight, behavior, look. Are they like European lions?

sorry to budge in but the lions in westeros are supposed to be like regular lions, you know African lions and they lived in the western hills of westeros (lanister lands )

edit : like this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lion

also there are the Harkkar but that's not from westeros (it's the one drogo hunts and gives it's pelt to dany, she wears it some times, i feel like she wears it when she feels weak and like a child to feel protected and strong )

The wolves that the Starks have are Direwolves, which have their own distinct size, facial features, behaviors. I was wondering what type of Lions are Lannister lions. What is the size, weight, behavior, look. Are they like European lions?

sorry to budge in but the lions in westeros are supposed to be like regular lions, you know African lions and they lived in the western hills of westeros (lanister lands )

edit : like this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lion

Thanks, mighty potato, I believe this answers your question, binga

My research was based on African lions, just to be clear. Especially on prides from Serengeti, Tanzania.

Thanks, mighty potato, I believe this answers your question, binga

My research was based on African lions, just to be clear. Especially on prides from Serengeti, Tanzania.

thank you for this amazing series, i just got started but i plan to stick around and contribute if i can :grouphug:

Archived