R + L = J v 50

Stubby

I thought that the secrecy about his mother was a bit weird, but it never really occured to me that he was anything but Ned's bastard. I had to read it twice more to figure it out.

Ah, I fell for the Ashara herring the first time through. It took me a long time to get over my love affair with Ashara. ;)

Ah, I fell for the Ashara herring the first time through. It took me a long time to get over my love affair with Ashara. ;)

Yeah, I still haven't gotten over it. Combine that with my affection for Ned, and it's no wonder that I so desperately wanted to believe N + A = J. :bowdown:

Yep, at first I wanted Jon to be Ashara's and Ned's because I really like House Dayne and wanted them to have some relevance. Then Lyanna and Rhaegar came along.

Since we're probably not getting rid of the KG topic any time soon...

ADWD 278:

"Even the bravest of your forebears kept his Kingsguard close about him in times of peril."

Not that I would expect septa Lemore to possess an exhausting list of the various KG deployments over the three centuries, but this is yet another confirmation that the KG are supposed to be with the king as his personal bodyguards.

Is there a thread discussing which characters have possibly sussed out R+L=J? Ned is Mr. Honor, so fathering a bastard must have made for some juicy gossip fodder...some smart Westerosi (that wouldn't automatically go kill Jon) could have figured it out, no?

Also, what is Ned's actual story about Jon's conception? He seems to put an abrupt end to any conversation about J's mama. He's never had to explain to anyone? In his lie (I believe R+L=J), when does he impregnate Wylla? Where?

Is there a thread discussing which characters have possibly sussed out R+L=J? Ned is Mr. Honor, so fathering a bastard must have made for some juicy gossip fodder...some smart Westerosi (that wouldn't automatically go kill Jon) could have figured it out, no?

Also, what is Ned's actual story about Jon's conception? He seems to put an abrupt end to any conversation about J's mama. He's never had to explain to anyone? In his lie (I believe R+L=J), when does he impregnate Wylla? Where?

No other Westerosi except Howland Reed knows what exactly happened at ToJ, so they miss some pieces of info. Furthermore, the north is rather isolated, not many visitors to Winterfell who would be interested in the age of Ned's supposed bastard - besides, bastards happen all the time, especially during the war, and nobody gives much thought to them.

I believe he told Robert (and only to Robert, because Robert is the only person outranking Ned and to whom he is obliged to answer when asked) that it was a one-night stand, which is something Robert's little brain understands well enough.

Many nobles have fathered bastards. Add Ashara Dayne's suicide and Ned's confirmed visit to Starfall some time before that, and the Westerosi rumor mills were following the wrong trail...

Add to that the fact that Ned deliberately hid Jon from most outsiders (he never had him fostered, and Jon had to keep a very low profile during King Bob's visit) and Jon's existence, and even more so his parentage, was not high on the list of priorities of many Westerosi.

As for who could figure it out, Jaime is my best bet currently. Tyrion and Barristan might have a clue as well.

Ned never went into the details of his story, not towards Cat, and not towards Robert; and I doubt he told anybody more than those two.

Thanks. Yes, no one knows what happened at ToJ, but everyone knows that R took L...to play Cyvasse? People have to assume they were having sex, and the poss of a bebe follows. Again, my thoughts on rumors stem from Ned's reputation.

I am just thinking who else besides- or in addition to- Howland could reveal the big secret. Maybe no one, but it could be a nice twist if it isn't Howland.

I thought Tyrion, too, in light of his initial interaction with J, but I haven't re-read through all his POVs to dbl check for something that proves otherwise.

I'm proud of a friend of mine.Today, after reading AGOT and half of ACOCK he deduced by himself R+L=J.

talk about a freudian slip, lol

also, doesnt the fact that you can "deduce" this so early in the series make you think it might be a red herring?

Yeah, I still haven't gotten over it. Combine that with my affection for Ned, and it's no wonder that I so desperately wanted to believe N + A = J. :bowdown:

Well the good news is it's pretty clear that Ashara still has some part to play in the story so you may at least get some Ned Ashara flashback from Howland. And I think some stuff about Arthur and House Dayne. I myself am obsessed with house Dayne. Don't know why, 10,000 year old house, castle called Starfall, the sword of the morning, Dawn, Darkstar and Edric who seemed like good people, Wylla. Hell what's not to like? I could read a book on that house. Always wanted the Daynes and the Starks to be related somehow. Hope Ashara lives, that is just such a shit way to die. I want some house Dayne in book six. A Darkstar POV, would love to see inside that head.

Archived