Why did Catelyn release Jaime?

Riurik Novgorod

I don´t get it!!

She sends Brienne with Jaime alone (oh right, with Cleos...) to King´s Landing hoping that the Lannisters will release Sansa and Arya?!

Why not to get Jaime and still keep the two Starks? For honour?

I think it was a stupid move!!

I think it was in desperation, as far as she can tell Rickon and Bran are dead, so's her husband and her father is dying (oh and her sister has gone round the twist...), getting the girl's back is the one thing that Catelyn's got left. You are right, she seriously underestimated Cersei if she thinks the swop has an ice cream's chance in hell of working, but she thinks it's her last chance to save her daughters. I don't think Catelyn's thinking very clearly or logically at the time, but she's under a hell of a lot of stress. Another factor may well be that if Robb agrees with Rickard Karstark and has Jaime executed, then Cersei is very likely to kill or hurt the girls, getting Jaime out the way might just give the girls a bit more of a chance and buy her Catelyn some time to think up a better plan, but i doubt it....i think Catelyn made a gut decision under stress which didn't make much sense. At least lady Mormont and the Greatjon are almost understanding about it.

Another factor may well be that if Robb agrees with Rickard Karstark and has Jaime executed

In the book Rickard Karstark never said Jaime had to die before Catelyn released him, that was only in the tv show, you are confusing the two.

Sorry, that happens occasionally, Karstark's not one of the people i pay much attention to (i don't recall him much on the telly either). Are there people saying "we should kill the Kingslayer now!" before Catelyn let him go? I reckon somebody must have threatened a bit...which might have been enough to make Catelyn wonder if releasing him was worth the risk. She wasn't thinking straight that's for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

Wasn't Karstark really upset with Jaime's release? I mean, he used Cat's actions to justify his own murder of the Lannister boys, IIRC.

He was upset even though he had no right to kill the Lannister boys or kill Jaime as he wasnt his prisoner. And people lose their family at war, but for some reason Karstark didnt understand that.

Because she took Jaimes word of honor but the Lannisters have no honor, it is known.

But she never did that. Yes she made him swear, but it was Tyrion she was counting on (Who was most likely going to accept the trade).

• 3 weeks later...
because she was in mourning an being an irrational woman

I think it was easy for Robb's bannermen to see it that way. But the truth is: Catelyn started the whole thing when she imprisoned Tyrion. Jaime told her he pushed Bran out of the window, but he didn't order to kill her child with that knife any more than his brother did, so Catelyn was only trying to fix her own mistake.

I think it was easy for Robb's bannermen to see it that way. But the truth is: Catelyn started the whole thing when she imprisoned Tyrion. Jaime told her he pushed Bran out of the window, but he didn't order to kill her child with that knife any more than his brother did, so Catelyn was only trying to fix her own mistake.

This is so wrong in so many ways.

• 5 months later...

Archived