Small questions v.10006

Angalin

From the previous topic

Any chance you think the Sothoros continent will make an appearance? Or any other general info about it?

It's on the maps that were published but just like Ulthos I think it is mainly just to fill in space. Or perhaps when he finishes this story it gives him more places to go if he writes other stories set in the same universe.

Does the red god require people to be burned alive or is that something only melisandre or other fanatics of that religion do? I don't remember thoros burning people.

I'm beginning to wonder about this too, if Thoros can revive Berric as often as he has without a sacrifice, then either it's not required or Mel just isn't as good as she thinks she is.

I'm beginning to wonder about this too, if Thoros can revive Berric as often as he has without a sacrifice, then either it's not required or Mel just isn't as good as she thinks she is.

I think it would be interesting to thread the differences in worshipping of R'hllor when looking at Thoros, Melisandre and Moqorro. I am sarting to wonder how "organized" the cult of R'hllor really is compared to the Faith for example.

Why were there no naval battles in Robert's rebellion?

Afaik, the only naval forces belonged to the Redwynes (together with the Shield Islanders) and the Greyjoys/Iron Islanders. Since the Greyjoys stayed apart from the rebellion, the Redwynes, as Targ loyalists, had no one to fight with at sea and stayed occupied with the naval blockade of Storm's End.

eta- I believe the Velaryons were traditional Masters of Ship for their Targ kinsmen. I don't recall mention of any of them in connection with RR though, although it would be the same story if they were involved- Targ ships with no one to fight against.

Why were there no naval battles in Robert's rebellion?

There were sort of naval tactics, but not battles in the sense you mean, Redywne Fleet blockaded SE, Stannis went to Dragonstone with his fleet to take it from the Targaryens, but most of the Targaryen fleet was destroyed during the storm.

well it must have a small fleet since Gulltown is roughly the same size of White Harbour and a port city.

I think it's principally a trading port, although you'll recall the lords of Gulltown did try to prevent Robert from sailing from the Vale to the Stormlands. Same story as the Redwynes and Velaryons though- they were Targ loyalists and the rebels really didn't seem to have any ships of their own. Robert ultimately defeated the lords of Gulltown in a land battle.

well it must have a small fleet since Gulltown is roughly the same size of White Harbour and a port city.

They must have a way to protect Gulltown from piracy and reaving and such. I am fascinated by the Vale. I sincerely hope we find out more about them.

Do the Boltons use melted down human flesh for their pink seals?

Don't think so, AfaiK No, there is no indication that the Boltons do that, they used to wear the skins of their enemies but that was long ago.

From the previous thread: did Dolorous Edd nominate Jon for Lord Commander in collusion with Sam? Or did he nominate him because he wanted to, and it just happened to fit in with Sam's plans and save Sam from having to nominate Jon himself?

ETA: This may not be a small question, thinking about it, but I'm just curious about the sequence of events. Did Sam plan to nominate Jon himself and then find out he'd already been nominated by Edd? Or did he plan it out with Edd ahead of time, once he'd decided that Jon would make a good compromise candidate? (Or is this not mentioned at all?)

From the previous thread: did Dolorous Edd nominate Jon for Lord Commander in collusion with Sam? Or did he nominate him because he wanted to, and it just happened to fit in with Sam's plans and save Sam from having to nominate Jon himself?

ETA: This may not be a small question, thinking about it, but I'm just curious about the sequence of events. Did Sam plan to nominate Jon himself and then find out he'd already been nominated by Edd? Or did he plan it out with Edd ahead of time, once he'd decided that Jon would make a good compromise candidate? (Or is this not mentioned at all?)

I don't think they wokred together before the nomination process but I can't recall if this is mentioned or not.

Sam must have certainly talked to Edd after talking to Mallister and Pyke, that way he could get Jon in the choosing of the LC, since no one nominated him at first, neither was he interested, so when the time came Edd withdrew and nominated Jon.

Archived