Small questions v.10006

Angalin

So, in ADWD, Melisander is gazing into her fire and sees a man-tree (Bloodraven) and wonders if it/he could be the Great Other. I can't remember if she had mentioned a "Great Other" prior to this. Is it the general consensus of this board that there is such an entity (i suppose this Great Other would be a sort of god), or is Mel off on this one?

So, in ADWD, Melisander is gazing into her fire and sees a man-tree (Bloodraven) and wonders if it/he could be the Great Other. I can't remember if she had mentioned a "Great Other" prior to this. Is it the general consensus of this board that there is such an entity (i suppose this Great Other would be a sort of god), or is Mel off on this one?

General consensus would be stretching it, but many people believe that there is extremely little evidence for creatures like Mel's Great Other (see e.g. here), despite Mel mentioning him several times as her religion's Satan. That doesn't mean that the White Walkers can't be led by a figure of authority of course - we just have absolutely no insight into their power mechanic. Bloodraven as their head honcho would be very surprising, but the theory does pop up from time to time.

Is greyscale common in Westeros and in Essos? What's the deal with that? Because JonCon did NOT bring it to Westeros; Shireen has it, Val talked about wildlings who had it, and Aeron Greyjoy's brother had it, too.

I don't understand greyscale. blahhhh

General consensus would be stretching it, but many people believe that there is extremely little evidence for creatures like Mel's Great Other (see e.g. here), despite Mel mentioning him several times as her religion's Satan. That doesn't mean that the White Walkers can't be led by a figure of authority of course - we just have absolutely no insight into their power mechanic. Bloodraven as their head honcho would be very surprising, but the theory does pop up from time to time.

Thanks! I hadn't even considered Bloodraven as a possibility....doesn't seem likely to me, if such an entity exists.

Is greyscale common in Westeros and in Essos? What's the deal with that? Because JonCon did NOT bring it to Westeros; Shireen has it, Val talked about wildlings who had it, and Aeron Greyjoy's brother had it, too.

I don't understand greyscale. blahhhh

Yeah I think it's just one of those rare diseases like leprosy or something. I think there's a few theories around which link it to dragons in various ways.

Don't know if I missed it in the books, but I was wondering, did Rickard Stark have Ice with him when him and Brandon rode to KL to confront the Targaryens? Or was it left back at WF? If he did have it, how was it returned to Ned?

Why does Sam not lose any weight?

He goes from pampered noble on a high fat low exercise lifestyle to the NW. That's a big difference. Ok he's not out as a Ranger etc but still, it should be having an impact.

I think Sam loses some weight in AFFC, while doing various sailor work abroad Summer Isles ship.

Really embarrassed to ask, but does Arya ever get word of Bran and Rickon's "murder" or of Theon taking Winterfell? If so, when?

IIRC, yes. She heard about it when serving at Harrenhal.

Archived