Small questions v.10006

Angalin

Which of Jon Connington's hands is starting to show signs of greyscale? Is it his swordhand?

ADWD Page 319 US hardcover edition

(...)Jon Connington shrugged off his wolfskin cloak, slipped his mail shirt off over his head, settled on a camp ground stool, and peeled the glove from his right hand. The nail on his middle finger had turned black as jet...
I think that his sword-hand is also his right hand, so there you go.

What is the significance of the Shadow Lands east of Asshai? I read that Dany's eggs came from there but we still no next to nothing about it.

There be Dragons

He lifted his eyes and saw clear across the narrow sea, to the Free Cities and the green Dothraki sea and beyond, to Vaes Dothrak under its mountain, to the fabled lands of the Jade Sea, to Asshai by the Shadow, where dragons stirred beneath the sunrise.

What is the significance of the Shadow Lands east of Asshai? I read that Dany's eggs came from there but we still no next to nothing about it.

The fact that we know next to nothing about Asshai and the surrounding area is delibarate on GRRM's part. The idea is that the worldbuilding works better if there are such mysteries and unknowns in the far corners of the world.

Asshai and the Shadow Lands don't seem to have any major significance on the plot, other that certain things and characters are connected to it - the daragon eggs are one example but there are also Melisandre and Quaithe, for example, who come from Asshai and that gives us some information about its people and their culture; such as, people from Asshai seem to be caucasian, they practice magic and at least some of them believe in R'hllor. It's not much, and like I said - it's deliberate.

I have 2 questions regarding Aegon the Unworthy's bastards:

1. Why were Bloodraven and Bittersteel still using name Rivers after being legitimized?

2. Where did all the lowborn bastards disappear to? Most of such tend to take pride in having a king or lord as a father even if they are not legitimized and I believe one is not likely to just forget about being De Iuro a prince(ss). They'd probably be smarter than going into Red keep and demanding to be treated like princes(ses), but I'd expect there to be a bunch of blonde villagers styling themselves Targaryens

1. Why were Bloodraven and Bittersteel still using name Rivers after being legitimized?

2. Where did all the lowborn bastards disappear to? Most of such tend to take pride in having a king or lord as a father even if they are not legitimized and I believe one is not likely to just forget about being De Iuro a prince(ss). They'd probably be smarter than going into Red keep and demanding to be treated like princes(ses), but I'd expect there to be a bunch of blonde villagers styling themselves Targaryens

1. Bloodraven and Bittersteel likely had different reasons:

- Bloodraven wouldn't want to stress his legitimacy too much, or people would fear that he'd stake a claim himself. After all, his influence was already feared, he was mistrusted and his legitimized half-brother crowns himself king.

- Bittersteel was angry at the Targs, fought against them, lived to spite them. He wouldn't have taken their name but worn "Rivers" with a stubborn, defiant pride.

2. I guess that these blonde villagers would have been quite an embarrassment to House Targaryen. So they're not around... anymore.

1. None of the known bastards took the name Targaryen IIRC. Daemon took Blackfyre, and both of his parents were Targs, and Shiera kept Seastar.

2. They probably just don't play into the story. Maybe we'll find out more in the D&E stories.

there are also Melisandre and Quaithe, for example, who come from Asshai and that gives us some information about its people and their culture; such as, people from Asshai seem to be caucasian

Nitpicking, but since we never really see Quaithe's face, and it is widely accepted that Melisandre is using a glamour, I would not say we know Ashai'i are caucasian for sure.

I am not sure legitimized bastards are allowed to use their parents' name... Otherwise Edric would be Edric Baratheon, right? Or was he just claimed as Robert's son?

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where people are getting the idea that the ravens help the Others? Doesn't have to be a quote just a chapter or general area would be nice.

Were I to guess, I think it might be from the show. There was a scene in the most recent episode where hundreds of ravens arrived just before a Walker did. The same Walker Sam the Slayer slays. I'm not entirely sure if the ravens arriving enmasse like that before the Walker was also how it was written in the book, but I don't recall it being written that way.

I am not sure legitimized bastards are allowed to use their parents' name... Otherwise Edric would be Edric Baratheon, right? Or was he just claimed as Robert's son?

Edric was acknowledged by Robert as his bastard. Not legitimized.

Were I to guess, I think it might be from the show. There was a scene in the most recent episode where hundreds of ravens arrived just before a Walker did. The same Walker Sam the Slayer slays. I'm not entirely sure if the ravens arriving enmasse like that before the Walker was also how it was written in the book, but I don't recall it being written that way.

I figured that's where they were getting it, in the book IIRC the ravens arrive with Coldhands, suggesting that they were leading him to Sam.

Is there any reason that Mance's spearwives care so much about Arya and the Starks? They always call Theon a kinslayer and get mad when he says Winter is Coming.

Also, why doesnt Theon find it weird that the spearwives keep calling people kneelers? Isnt that something only Wildlings say?

Don't know if I missed it in the books, but I was wondering, did Rickard Stark have Ice with him when him and Brandon rode to KL to confront the Targaryens? Or was it left back at WF? If he did have it, how was it returned to Ned?

It is never explictily mentioned that Rickard took Ice south with him.

Personally, I always thought it unlikely that he did, since he had started south from Winterfell for the Brandon-Catelyn wedding before Brandon was arrested. Why bring Ice to a wedding?

It is never explictily mentioned that Rickard took Ice south with him.

Personally, I always thought it unlikely that he did, since he had started south from Winterfell for the Brandon-Catelyn wedding before Brandon was arrested. Why bring Ice to a wedding?

This has come up a lot recently as a small question. We know from Jamie that Rickard had his armor with him at Kings Landing, so why wouldn't he also have his sword?

This has come up a lot recently as a small question. We know from Jamie that Rickard had his armor with him at Kings Landing, so why wouldn't he also have his sword?

It's more of a ceremonial sword. Plus, most of the fighters prefer a sword+shiled combo, rather than a greatsword. So he was armored, and probably armed with a normal sword. I see no reason to carry Ice. For a brief wedding in the Riverlands, especially if he's not the Greatsword type of guy.

As for Ned, he used it in battle, and he was about to be hand of the king, which meant staying in KL for a long time. So he took it both as a weapon and as regalia if you will.

Archived