Small questions v.10006

Angalin

This has come up a lot recently as a small question. We know from Jamie that Rickard had his armor with him at Kings Landing, so why wouldn't he also have his sword?

It has come up a lot. I keep wondering why people keep asking. What difference would it make in the story?

It's more of a ceremonial sword. Plus, most of the fighters prefer a sword+shiled combo, rather than a greatsword. So he was armored, and probably armed with a normal sword. I see no reason to carry Ice. For a brief wedding in the Riverlands, especially if he's not the Greatsword type of guy.

As for Ned, he used it in battle, and he was about to be hand of the king, which meant staying in KL for a long time. So he took it both as a weapon and as regalia if you will.

Ned used Ice in battle?! Never heard that one before. Source?

It's from the wiki

http://awoiaf.wester...g/index.php/Ice

I guess they took it from the encounter with Jaime's men, where I think he used Ice. Though I admit that even if true, this might just have been what he had at hand at that moment.

Just read the passage,

"Ned galloped to him, bringing his longsword down on Tregar's helm." AGoT p.383 (My italics.)

Ugh, poorly sourced wiki entries.

As a Seahawks and WVU football fan, I'm used to yelling "BRUUUUUUUUCE" after Bruce Irvin sacks a QB.

I have taken to yelling "ROOOOOOSE" in every scene Roose Bolton is in during the TV series. Anyone else out there doing this?

One of the funniest posts I have ever read

Who was Eddard supposed to marry before Catelyn? Or was that mentioned?

I may have this wrong, but as a second son, I don't believe he was arranged to marry anyone. Brandon was groomed from childhood to be the Lord of Winterfell and betrothed to Catelyn. When he was killed by the Mad King, Ned stepped into both roles.

Is there any reason that Mance's spearwives care so much about Arya and the Starks? They always call Theon a kinslayer and get mad when he says Winter is Coming.

I may be pulling this out of my butt, but I've always been under the impression that Mance had a grudging respect for the Starks. He did sneak over the wall and feasted at Winterfell once. He arrived as a guest (a musician, if I'm not mistaken) and left the same. The wildlings even tell tales about the Starks. I know they've been at war more often than not. This is just an impression I've gotten and not something completely spelled out in the text.

That and it appears that even wildlings are not fond of turncloaks and kinslayers.

I just wondered something; Tobho Mott in his claims to Ned, among other things, claimed that as a boy, he had learned to work Valyrian Steel at Qohor. We see later in the series that this is true as he was able to reforge Ice into two new swords. However, when he was making his claim to Ned, it seems clear that he obviously could not actually forge Valyrian Steel from nothing, as no Westerosi had that power, and that what he meant was that he could rework Valyrian Steel. In that case, doesn't it seem a bit forward of Mott to have suggested it to Ned? Or did he actually mean he could forge Valyrian Steel?

I just wondered something; Tobho Mott in his claims to Ned, among other things, claimed that as a boy, he had learned to work Valyrian Steel at Qohor. We see later in the series that this is true as he was able to reforge Ice into two new swords. However, when he was making his claim to Ned, it seems clear that he obviously could not actually forge Valyrian Steel from nothing, as no Westerosi had that power, and that what he meant was that he could rework Valyrian Steel. In that case, doesn't it seem a bit forward of Mott to have suggested it to Ned? Or did he actually mean he could forge Valyrian Steel?

I think he mainly said it as an example of "this is how good I am", not as a suggestion of "by the way, I could reforge your house's ancestral greatsword if you're so inclined". It's mentioned in that conversation by the way, even back then they explicitely spoke about reforging Valyrian steel.

Ned used Ice in battle?! Never heard that one before. Source?

I cant even imagine a Valyrian steel greatsword would be considered ceremonial. I'd have it on me at all times especially in battle. Since this is the age of chivalry if you got separated from your family sword in battle it would be returned to you and Barristan Selmy returned one as did Ned. This is one of the scurrilous things Tywin did - unlike the honorable Ned and Selmy he took the Stark sword for himself.

Nobody can create Valyrian steel anymore. The secret of making and forging Valyrian steel died with Valyria. That's why it's such a costly material. With that said, Valyrian steel can be reforged and I don't think that Mott suggested to Ned that he'd want to melt down Ice and reforge it, just that he bragged with his skill - and as we see later, he is skillful indeed.

I cant even imagine a Valyrian steel greatsword would be considered ceremonial. I'd have it on me at all times especially in battle. Since this is the age of chivalry if you got separated from your family sword in battle it would be returned to you and Barristan Selmy returned one as did Ned. This is one of the scurrilous things Tywin did - unlike the honorable Ned and Selmy he took the Stark sword for himself.

Ned mentions he carried Ice into battle in the past. Don't remember what chapter in thrones but he mentions it in an off handed remark. Maybe it wasn't Ned, but someone mentions him taking it into battle. No battle is given. But I suppose it's one of the few weapons that could of stood up to Dawn without breaking and kept up with it's speed. Great swords that can slice through armor and are as light as long swords are a rather dangerous thing. Only way Ned stood a chance is with Ice. But only a guess.

True, but one loses lots of possesions when branded a traitor. Head, land, title and sword all being among them.

Ned mentions he carried Ice into battle in the past. Don't remember what chapter in thrones but he mentions it in an off handed remark. Maybe it wasn't Ned, but someone mentions him taking it into battle. No battle is given.

I'd appreciate it if you could find the quote/chapter/vague context. I've looked.

It has come up a lot. I keep wondering why people keep asking. What difference would it make in the story?

Not much, but lets face it: we're bored and killing time between books. The reason I personally asked was because I was wondering if Ned used Ice at the Tower of Joy. Then it usually becomes a debate about whether Ice was ever used in combat or just ceremonial. (the Starks don't strike me as the type to have a fancy sword just for show.)

Archived