Small questions v.10006

Angalin

What are the differences between Dreamwine, Sweetsleep, and the Milk of the Poppy?

Diffferent drugs:

- Milk of the Poppy behaves similar to opiates (and the word "poppy" points to opium as well of course).

- Dreamwine seems to be mainly wine with something added, the effects are milder than the other two. Jaime mentions poppy as an ingredient, so maybe it's just milk of the poppy diluted in wine.

- Sweetsleep is a very strong sedative, it is poisonous in relatively small doses.

where does it say about the unsullied having a god and bathing etc? can someone gimme a snippet of text? Thx.

"Worship," Grey Worm said, "this one and his brothers beg your leave to bathe in the salt sea when our work here is done, that we might be purified according to the laws of our great goddess."

The queen had not known that the eunuchs had a goddess of their own. "Who is this goddess? One of the gods of Ghis?"

Grey Worm looked troubled. "The goddess is called by many names. She is the Lady of Spears, the Bride of Battle, the Mother of Hosts, but her true name belongs only to these poor ones who have burned their manhood on her altar. We may not speak of her to others. This one begs your forgiveness."

Why is Grey Wind called 'Grey' Wind?

I'm English so I never noticed in until I saw an American calling him gray wind, why is it that an American author chose to use an English spelling?

Or is it just in copies sold in England, even though its a proper noun?

It's "Grey Wind" everywhere, as it is "Grey Worm", and the colour is called "grey", not "gray". It seems that GRRM generally often prefers British words, usage and spelling, probably to reinforce the medieval flair of his novels. Not always though: For example he's apparently not a big fan of "ou" vs "o" (honor, color, neighbor...).

In aDwD, Melisandre claims that she could help Jon to improve his warging skills. But how ? Isn't warging something special to the First Men. Are Asshai'i that capable :eek: ??

(I know, she's not an Asshai'i, but she educated here so...)

Why is Grey Wind called 'Grey' Wind?

I'm English so I never noticed in until I saw an American calling him gray wind, why is it that an American author chose to use an English spelling?

Or is it just in copies sold in England, even though its a proper noun?

Echoing Dornishman's Wife that it's "Grey" in the American editions and every mention of the color is also "grey". There's really no hard or fast rule with "grey" it seems. A couple of my reference books disagree with one another on this. I've been taught both usages and for some reason I've always preferred grey over gray for the most part, likely because my favorite teachers taught it that way. I think the important thing is to maintain continuity. If the author is going to use "grey", then it all needs to be grey. Just glancing through a few books by American authors that I have on kindle, and it seems pretty evenly split on which spelling they preferred with just a hint more preferring "gray" over "grey".

In aDwD, Melisandre claims that she could help Jon to improve his warging skills. But how ? Isn't warging something special to the First Men. Are Asshai'i that capable :eek: ??

(I know, she's not an Asshai'i, but she educated here so...)

It's interesting to note that Melisandre obviously has some degree of control over Jon's bond with Ghost. In one of ADWD chapters, she calls Ghost to her, and Ghost complies without any suspicion. When Jon tries to call him back, Ghost looked at him "like a complete stranger". IIRC, Martin said that Mel somehow "broke" Jon's and Ghost's link for a moment.

So, maybe Mel could teach Jon a few things about warging.

It's interesting to note that Melisandre obviously has some degree of control over Jon's bond with Ghost. In one of ADWD chapters, she calls Ghost to her, and Ghost complies without any suspicion. When Jon tries to call him back, Ghost looked at him "like a complete stranger". IIRC, Martin said that Mel somehow "broke" Jon's and Ghost's link for a moment.

So, maybe Mel could teach Jon a few things about warging.

That means a lot to me !!

Thank you :laugh:

So, after searching far and wide for The Hedge Knight, i finally searched Dreamsong vol. II on iBooks, and skipped right to it. Very excited to finally get the chance to read these.

Anyway, something struck me as odd near the beginning of the story... When Dunk is making a transaction and describing the currency, he speaks of Dragons, which makes sense, Targs have ruled for 200 years now. Its expected their faces and sigil be on the coins.

Then he exchanges stags. I was under the understanding that stags didnt come about until after Robert Rebelled.

Then it introduces Lyonel Baratheon, and states that the CROWNED stag is his sigil.

Being 80 or so years before the rebelion, this all seems out of place. Any thoughts? Can anyone tell me what im missing here?

I cant even imagine a Valyrian steel greatsword would be considered ceremonial. I'd have it on me at all times especially in battle. Since this is the age of chivalry if you got separated from your family sword in battle it would be returned to you and Barristan Selmy returned one as did Ned. This is one of the scurrilous things Tywin did - unlike the honorable Ned and Selmy he took the Stark sword for himself.

Selmy returned a Valyrian steel sword to someone? After killing Maelys the Monstrous? Is there any source for that?

So, after searching far and wide for The Hedge Knight, i finally searched Dreamsong vol. II on iBooks, and skipped right to it. Very excited to finally get the chance to read these.

Anyway, something struck me as odd near the beginning of the story... When Dunk is making a transaction and describing the currency, he speaks of Dragons, which makes sense, Targs have ruled for 200 years now. Its expected their faces and sigil be on the coins.

Then he exchanges stags. I was under the understanding that stags didnt come about until after Robert Rebelled. (1)

Then it introduces Lyonel Baratheon, and states that the CROWNED stag is his sigil. (2)

Being 80 or so years before the rebelion, this all seems out of place. Any thoughts? Can anyone tell me what im missing here?

(1) The realm had stags as silver coins before the rebellion. You need something for your smaller currency, and stags are a nice regal animal and all. It probably helped that the first Hand of the King was a Baratheon (Aegon's half brother).

By the way, if Robert had fiddled with the money after his rebellion, I'm pretty sure he'd have abolished the Targ dragon altogether, and not just inserted his stag below it.

(2) It's always been a crowned stag. That was the sigil of the Storm Kings when they still were kings, i.e. before Aegon's Conquest. The old line of Storm Kings was replaced by Orys Baratheon, who married the last Storm King's daughter and became Lord Paramount of the Stormlands. It's mentioned that he adopted the Storm Kings' words and sigil.

This is one of the first deviations of the TV show from the books, probably so that they can hammer the "Baratheons are the royal house now, but only since a few years ago" in again. (Or possibly due to a minor misunderstanding.)

kind of puzzled over littlefingers plan to have sansa marry harold and regain the north. how exactly does this help his long game? is he banking on sansa supporting him? safely married and in control of winterfell, why would she need to do anything for littlefinger anymore?

kind of puzzled over littlefingers plan to have sansa marry harold and regain the north. how exactly does this help his long game? is he banking on sansa supporting him? safely married and in control of winterfell, why would she need to do anything for littlefinger anymore?

He can rule in her name until she comes of age. And I'm guessing he'll kill Harold to get full power.

Can Ned Stark warg? All of his kids seem to have the power. Even the one strongly suspected of being Lyanna's kid can. So are we led to believe all Starks can?

No, I don't think Ned Stark was a warg. The fact that all six kids could do it seems to be a supernatural anomaly (one with a narrative purpose), not something inherent in every single member of the family.

Archived