Small questions v.10006

Angalin

Who are the Stark, Baratheon and Martell versions of Harry the Heir?

For the Starks - Royces in the Vale

For Baratheons - Estermonts and Florents, Ser Andrew Esrermont is Stannis cousin

Martell - Aegon (if he is real), other than that, there is not much information, if any of the Martells had married into the Dornish houses then they would be heirs

Yes, but after Cersei's arrest. They went to the Great Sept together and then got separated (Cersei went to talk to Margaery and then the High Sparrow, while Taena, IIRC went to talk with the Tyrell cousins). Cersei got arrested and Taena managed to escape.

Cersei was arrested on account of one the Kettleblacks (Osney, if memory serves) confessing to sleeping with her after he was tortured. He would have no knowledge of her dealings with Taena though. And even if Cersei later confessed (which, IIRC, didn't happen), Taena was already far from the Sept. Even with the Faith militant reborn, the High Sparrow doesn't have enough power to arrest a noble woman inside the Red keep, or inside her own castle - not yet anyway.

Ok that was why I got lost because I knew Taena went with Cersei thank you!

Selmy returned a Valyrian steel sword to someone? After killing Maelys the Monstrous? Is there any source for that?

I don't think it's ever mentioned what became of Blackfyre. Maelys had no heirs to return the sword to and I sorta doubt Barristan would have been able to return it to the new leader of the Golden Company.

He can rule in her name until she comes of age. And I'm guessing he'll kill Harold to get full power.

How do you figure? I think Sansa is about "of age" by now. Anyway in order to claim the north she would have to reveal herself as Sansa Stark, at which point it would be clear that Littlefinger wasn't her father so why would he rule in her name? I wouldn't rule out some plan to hill Harold and marry Sansa down the line.

Why do maesters hold celibacy? It makes sense for the military and religious organizations but I don't get why scholars/scientists/doctors should hold it. Was it explained somewhere?

Aemon said that their order was to serve the realm and hence celibacy to have no allegiances, similar to the NW

Aemon said that their order was to serve the realm and hence celibacy to have no allegiances, similar to the NW

But they do have allegiances. They assist the lords they serve in pretty much everything, even warcraft and they seem quite loyal. They are said to be bound to serve, but who said a married man can't serve?

But they do have allegiances. They assist the lords they serve in pretty much everything, even warcraft and they seem quite loyal. They are said to be bound to serve, but who said a married man can't serve?

They are bound to their keeps, not to their lords, IIRC.

ETA: Oh, and I guess they take celibacy vows in order to fully devote their lives to their service. Having a wife and raising a family could be a distraction.

If only everyone in Westeros got laid, how peaceful a place it would be ;)

I don't think it's ever mentioned what became of Blackfyre. Maelys had no heirs to return the sword to and I sorta doubt Barristan would have been able to return it to the new leader of the Golden Company.

He did. This was the War of the Ninepenny Kings IIRC. I am 10 hours away from my books but I'll try to find it later. This is why Selmy doesnt have a Valyrian sword perhaps.

Perhaps the swords arent returned to the dead vanquished but they are returned to the heirs or equivalent. Unless you are an evil greedy Lannister who doesnt think the rules apply to you.

Whose crown did lady stoneheart have at the end of feast and where and how did she get it?

Yes, Robb's. Ryman apparently didnt return the crown to Jaime which is weird because Jaime could have taken it right then and there when he demanded Ryman leave it behind.

Think about it... if maesters had kids, they would be prime kidnapping/hostage targets. A maester controls the ravens and a TON of things in a castle, if you hold one of their kids hostage, you could really wreak some havoc. Communicate with the maester by raven, with a message "your son and daughter will be tortured and killed if you do not poison the lord of the castle" etc... with connections like that on the outside it would be very easy to force a maester. to betray the keep he serves.

Whas there any hints as to what happened to Edric Dayne, after Berric refused to live further?

I would have to assume he was knighted, given the brotherhoods tendency to knight just about everybody.

“The brotherhood without banners.” Tom Sevenstrings plucked a string. “The knights of the hollow hill.”

“Knights?” Clegane made the word a sneer. “Dondarrion’s a knight, but the rest of you are the sorriest lot of outlaws and broken men I’ve ever seen. I shit better men than you.”

“Any knight can make a knight,” said the scarecrow that was Beric Dondarrion, “and every man you see before you has felt a sword upon his shoulder. We are the forgotten fellowship.”

Whas there any hints as to what happened to Edric Dayne, after Berric refused to live further?

That's a good question I would think he was one of the ones who left after Beric died and Catelyn took over, but where did he go?

What happens to the Damphair after Theon and Dagmar go to Torrhen's Square?

IIRC, Aeron gives Benfred Tallhart to the Drowned God and that's the last we see of him until AFFC.

Damphair was told to continue raiding the Stony shore, he later returns to Pyke when he hears of Balon's death.

For the Starks - Royces in the Vale

For Baratheons - Estermonts and Florents, Ser Andrew Esrermont is Stannis cousin

Martell - Aegon (if he is real), other than that, there is not much information, if any of the Martells had married into the Dornish houses then they would be heirs

I'm afraid I have to disagree with this, at least in part. The aunt of Rickard Stark who married into House Royce of the Gates of the Moon had three daughters. The present Royces have no Stark blood, but the three Royce daughters married into Houses Waynwood, Corbray and Templeton (probably) If you trace the known members of two generations ago to the present members of all three Houses, it would appear that the Stark heir in the Vale is one of either Lyonel Corbray, Ser Symon Templeton, Anya Waynwood or Harry "the Heir" Hardyng.

As for the Baratheons, Storms End most likely wouldn't pass to an Estermont or Florent, as those are Houses that married into House Baratheon. Steffon had an uncle who was castellan at Storm's End during Robert and Stannis' childhood who was probably a Baratheon and possibly had children. Otherwise, a legitimized Edric Storm remains a distinct possibility.

With the Martells, don't forget that Myriah Martell married into the Targaryens (most likely) two generations before the known Martells (ie- Doran's mother, according to generational math, was probably the granddaughter of Maron Martell & Daenerys Targaryen) While this puts the Martells remarkably high in the Targaryen succession, because of the Dornish custom of primogeniture regardless of gender (cognatic), any surviving Targaryens since the Daeron-Myriah union would also be in line for the throne of Dorne.

Archived