Small questions v.10006

Angalin

Should we consider the Daynes salty Dornishmen?

It's a bit hard to say, because their most famous physical characteristics (silver hair & purple eyes) are not typically Dornish at all. However, it seems to me that Stony Dornishmen would be a better classification, as that is both geographically correct and the Stonies are the only ones who may have light hair at all and whose looks are least dominated by the Rhoynish influence. If you choose to put them into one of those three boxes at all that is.

Here is what Dany witnesses at her wedding feast in Game.

"She heard a shout, saw a shove, and in the blink of an eye the arakhs were out, long razor-sharp blades, half sword and half scythe."

ETA: Found the SSM. Yolkboy is completely right. Scythe, seriously Martin. Is this an attempt to show how unreliable Dany´s observations are?

if you're saying that dany's thought of it being half sword and half scythe is inaccurate, i will have to disagree. rereading aSoS now, and Jamie makes the same observation as his hand is getting cut off:

"The fat Dothraki put aside his knife to unsheath a huge cruved arakh, the wickedly sharp scythe-sword the horselords loved."

so maybe it's just GRRM's way of explaining it that maybe makes sense to him, but the idea gets changed the way other people read it. (chapter 21, Jaime 3, location 5610 in my kindle edition)

I got some questions about the prophecies in the books...

1. Is there a post with all the different prophecies from the books?

2. Which other persons besides Quaithe and the "Ghost of High Heart" are giving a prophecy?

3. Could somebody give me the text of the "Ghost of High Heart"´s prophecy?

Do you think there was any chance of Walder Frey forgiving Robb(in a sense), and accepting Edmure as a replacement before Tywin got involved and seized on the opportunity?...I think he would have tbh.

I think the plan was already in motion. Something like:

"Tywin: Kill Robb!

Walder (thinking): How to do that?... I know, we'll throw a wedding"

And the rest is history...

sixgunbuddyguy, it was a bad attempt at adding some humor to my exclamation of exasperation about Martin´s comparison that I found needlessly confusing.

On thinking about it for a while, I think that Martin wants to allude to the reaping without sowing - the same reason why scythes are mentioned a lot in the iron-born chapters.

How can Jon Snow be Targaryen? Even if he is the son of Lyanna and Rhgearar he still is a bastard. How are the bastards from King`s Landing called? Storms?

Waters, though as he grew up in the North he'd most likely still be called "Snow" if he was a bastard... but the standard interpretation of Rhaegar and Lyanna holds that Jon is a trueborn son, not a bastard. The assumption is that Rhaegar revived the old Targaryen practice of polygamy and took Lyanna as a second wife, making Jon the heir to the throne after Aerys and Aegon died (which explains the behaviour of the Kingsguard at the Tower of Joy). If you want more info about this, the R+L=J thread is a good place to ask.

Ok this is my first post on this so go easy on me! :P Is there any reason why Robb and maybe Bran (he may have been too young at this stage) were not fostered with other lords like Ned and Brandon were. Maybe it was for story purposes or would anyone like to elaborate?

Ok this is my first post on this so go easy on me! :P Is there any reason why Robb and maybe Bran (he may have been too young at this stage) were not fostered with other lords like Ned and Brandon were. Maybe it was for story purposes or would anyone like to elaborate?

I am not 100% sure but I would think that Ned, after bringing home a "bastard" and a ward would not want to seperate Cat from her trueborn children. I don't reallt have any proof but it seems rational.

I am not 100% sure but I would think that Ned, after bringing home a "bastard" and a ward would not want to seperate Cat from her trueborn children. I don't reallt have any proof but it seems rational.

Ah that does make sense, thanks!

How can Jon Snow be Targaryen? Even if he is the son of Lyanna and Rhgearar he still is a bastard. How are the bastards from King`s Landing called? Storms?

Because in this sense it's more about the blood that's in him, not about what his last name is legally.

Archived