Robert Baratheon vs. Sandor Clegane

The Robert that was "The Demon of the Trident" fought like a man possessed, and still barely beat Rhaegar.

A war-battered Robert vs. Fresh-to-the battle Rhaegar? Hardly something fair to judge.

A war-battered Robert vs. Fresh-to-the battle Rhaegar? Hardly something fair to judge.

Fair point. I don't think a war battered Sandor would have had as much trouble with Rhaegar though.

@ The Knight of Grey Garden

At 20 years old you are absolutely a fully formed adult, and I don't see how 20 and 24 is any different. If anything Robert had the advantage, Rhaegar had never fought in a real battle before, only tourneys.

The Hound of course; but I'm surprised and a little disappointed that no one has mentioned Bronn for this matchup with Robert. :wideeyed:

Depends on which Robert we are talking. Big Fats or Hammertime? Big Fats? Oh yeah, Sandor would kick his balls in so far, theyd be his eyes. Hammertime? I dunno. Hard to judge.

People are really underestimating Robert. This is the guy that ran out of brothel while wounded, grabbed a sword, and killed 6 men and nearly killed JonCon.

What?? Rhaegar was a pretty average warrior, actually. Well maybe a little over average. But still, nothing extraordinary.

really? I could've sworn he was a prodigy.

The Hound of course; but I'm surprised and a little disappointed that no one has mentioned Bronn for this matchup with Robert. :wideeyed:

I wouldn't be so fast to conclude Sandor would win. Robert was incredibly strong and skilled, as well a sword is probably the worst weapon to use against a man in plate. A warhammer is much better for dealing with an armored man. You cannot slash plate, you have to thrust, this limits sandors options in the fight and handicaps him in a one on one vs robert. In all i would say its close but i give the edge to robert because the two seem equal in skill and speed/strength but roberts choice of weapon is superior for dealing with armor.

People are really underestimating Robert. This is the guy that ran out of brothel while wounded, grabbed a sword, and killed 6 men and nearly killed JonCon.really? I could've sworn he was a prodigy.

Rhaegar was a prodigy but he hasn't trained all his life. Most noble boys train like hell from the earliest age possible, but Rhaegar was bookish as a boy for quite a long time.

Those early years wasted Rhaegars potential. For all we know, he was just as talented as a warrior as Jaime.

really? I could've sworn he was a prodigy.

haha, you're joking, right?

Rhaegar didn't even liked fighting. He decided to become a warrior when he read something (the prophecy of TPTWP, most likely), and just because apparently he had to. I can think of only one tournament that he won (and I think some people actually let hin win because you know, he was the crown prince and the King himself was present). Barristan says he would have been a great King, but doesn't talk of him as a great warrior. And still, jousting with lance in a tournament is very different from fighting in a war. And Rhaegar hadn't fought in any war prior to that battle IIRC. Yes, he was a prodigy in music, poetry, reading, women, and only GRRM knows what else, but in fighting? Nope

At their primes and in peak conditions, I'd put my money on Robert if they are using the weapons and armaments they are well known for. When armored as many have mentioned blunt weapons deal significantly more damage. You may also aim for the most benign of locales on the opponent and cause wounds that swing the fight your way. A deft swing to the gauntlets via warhammer may not be a hit to the head but try fighting at 100 percent with broken fingers.

The margin of error for Robert with hammer and Sandor with sword is just too much in Robert's favour if we take tactical realism into account, that they are of like build and stamina, and quite believably equal skill with their respective weapons as implied by the book. The best man doesn't always win the fights either according to Selmy, but if given a technological advantage almost always will.

The margin of error for Robert with hammer and Sandor with sword is just too much in Robert's favour if we take tactical realism into account, that they are of like build and stamina, and quite believably equal skill with their respective weapons as implied by the book. The best man doesn't always win the fights either according to Selmy, but if given a technological advantage almost always will.

This seems to be the conclusion. Most of the arguments for Sandor are dependent on Robert being as slow as Gregor, which just probably wasn't true. The men were likely physical equals, and Sandor would be bringing the metaphorical knife to a gun fight.

• 4 weeks later...

I believe Robert would win. Being able to swing his war hammer with one hand would give him an advantage over a sword-wielding Sandor if they were both armored. Getting hit by that hammer anywhere would result in broken bones. Also, the fact that he was the only man who was able to win and rule over the 7 kingdoms through conquest without the help of dragons really says something. Fully armored Robert Baratheon in his prime = unbeatable

Lol no, that was Arthur Dayne.

yeah and Ned Stark killed him ....

anyway i guess this is the point of the story .... u have to give precise conditions of the fight .

if Robert Baratheon vs Sandor Clegane would happen we need to know conditions !

- are they both in their prime ?

- is it a battle or just an excluded duel ?

- whats the weather like ?

- what ground is it on ?

- is Robert fighting with hammer and Sandor with sword ?

- if its a duel how far apart are they when the fight starts ?

- are they on foot or on horse ?

etc etc , this is as many as i could think of in a minute

i guess my point was as Pootie Tang pointed out Arthur Dayne was best fighter in westeros and he got killed by Ned but it wasnt that simple because Ned had Howland Reed

so in the end it all depends on the conditions of the fight ...

i think on foot - normal duel on the castle training grounds Sandor stands a chance

but in the battle on horse he is good as dead .

and id like to point out Sandor won a duel against Beric Dondarrion

and Robert won against Rhaegar Targaryen

i disagree with people saying Rheagar was average warrior - he trained rly hard after he read prophecy acording to Barristan Selmy

edit : to explain why in battle Robert would win - this is what Robert was made for .

besides u never know if there wasn't something on fire next to Robert and Sandor would be a little to afraid to go near

Archived