Masonic and Templar references in ASOIAF

thewingedwolf

We must be careful when we talk about Masonic symbols because there is so much bs about them in our popular culture these days. I include books like the DaVinci Code and internet charlatans like Jordan Maxwell in this category. Stories like that of Mary Magdelene, the Holy Grail and the Arc of the Covenant are allegorical but as Masons advance through the degrees they learn the esoteric meaning of these symbols. I should think that a book like Manley Palmer Hall's, The Secret Teachings of All Ages, would be a far better source of reference to begin with.

Yes and no. The Secret Teachings of All Ages also contains a lot of bogus or sketchy material designed to throw off the casual reader. His info on Sir Francis Bacon is absolutely fascinating, though.

Valandui, I agree with you about MPH. Masonic literature is like that, with explanations necessarily left incomplete.

Here are some other possible Masonic references from ASoIaF.

The Flaming Sword or Tiler’s Sword is a Masonic symbol. The Tiler guards the entrance of the lodge, much like an angel with a flaming sword guards the gates to paradise. Lightbringer is the obvious connection here, with the dawn or spring being paradise.

The Widow’s Son is another Masonic reference, often attributed to Hiram Abiff who was betrayed and killed by his followers, just like Jon, the son of the widow Lyanna.

(Rhaegar did die first and there is plenty of speculation on this forum that R+L were in fact married.)

To connect further to this theme we could consider the pomegranate, a fruit abundant with seeds and a Masonic symbol or the Ark, which contained the seeds of the new postdiluvian world. So was Bowen the old pomegranate Marsh’s treacherous act the seed of a new beginning?

Staying at the Wall we might consider how in Masonic terms the North is referred to as a Place of Darkness. This is the place of the sun’s annual death, “to which it approaches only to lose its terrific heat, and to clothe the earth in darkness of long nights and dreariness of winter.” - taken from Albert Mackey’s Encyclopaedia of Freemasonry.

Another interesting connection is the AsoFaI calendar. We know things are dated A.L., meaning After Landing if I’m not mistaken. Well, craft freemasonry’s calendar commences in the Year of Light, Anno Lucius, or A.L. for short.

There are two more Masonic symbols that might have connection too, both concerned with the number three. The Three Columns, wisdom, strength, and beauty might ring of Tyrion, Jaime, and Cersei? And The Threefold Cord, a cord of three different colored strands that cannot be easily broken, might refer to Dany’s dragons?

But most striking of all for me is the House of Black and White in Braavos. I seem to remember it having black and white chequerboard flooring, as found in all Freemasonic Lodges. In masonry, white symbolizes purity, and black, grief; a fitting combination for those who consider death to be a gift. We might even consider the FM to be a secret society of sorts and the phrases commonly used by them, “all men must die,” and “all men must serve,” do have a Masonic tone to them it could be argued. Plus, in a way, Arya is invited to join by a member. And the kindly man repeatedly asks her “who are you?” which in my mind echoes the Masonic question “Whence came you?”

And I'm sure there are plenty more...

But most striking of all for me is the House of Black and White in Braavos. I seem to remember it having black and white chequerboard flooring, as found in all Freemasonic Lodges. In masonry, white symbolizes purity, and black, grief; a fitting combination for those who consider death to be a gift. We might even consider the FM to be a secret society of sorts and the phrases commonly used by them, “all men must die,” and “all men must serve,” do have a Masonic tone to them it could be argued. Plus, in a way, Arya is invited to join by a member. And the kindly man repeatedly asks her “who are you?” which in my mind echoes the Masonic question “Whence came you?”

This is very very interesting as it ties in to one of my semi-crackpot theories about Templar and Masonic references. As I have stated in earlier posts, my original interest in the Templars came, not from religious studies but rather from studying the history of our financial system. As such, I cannot help but try to link the Iron Bank of Braavos to the Prieur de Sion, who were, at least according to some sources behind the creation of both the templars and the Freemasons and who were the "financial and political arm" whereas the Templars were the military and administrative. In that regards, I have come to believe that there is a link of similar fashion between the FM and IB. Much like the IB, the Priory of Sion was believe to get involved in political affairs when its financial interests were in jeopardy.

I know I may be stepping in the realm of crackpottery here but the more I look at the evidence and more I see a connection between them.

This is very very interesting as it ties in to one of my semi-crackpot theories about Templar and Masonic references. As I have stated in earlier posts, my original interest in the Templars came, not from religious studies but rather from studying the history of our financial system. As such, I cannot help but try to link the Iron Bank of Braavos to the Prieur de Sion, who were, at least according to some sources behind the creation of both the templars and the Freemasons and who were the "financial and political arm" whereas the Templars were the military and administrative. In that regards, I have come to believe that there is a link of similar fashion between the FM and IB. Much like the IB, the Priory of Sion was believe to get involved in political affairs when its financial interests were in jeopardy.

I know I may be stepping in the realm of crackpottery here but the more I look at the evidence and more I see a connection between them.

I'm not sure if it'll give you any clues about Templars connected to ASOIAF, but I've started reading "The Accursed Kings" series that partly inspired GRRM when writing ASOIAF and the first book is about at the end of the 7th year in France when the Templars were being hunted down. I'm only a bit into it but I thought it might give some clues or ideas about how ASOIAF is connected to the Templars.

I'm not sure if it'll give you any clues about Templars connected to ASOIAF, but I've started reading "The Accursed Kings" series that partly inspired GRRM when writing ASOIAF and the first book is about at the end of the 7th year in France when the Templars were being hunted down. I'm only a bit into it but I thought it might give some clues or ideas about how ASOIAF is connected to the Templars.

The Accursed Kings is a great series (the Iron King is another great book by Maurice Druon as well). I think there is lots in there that will be very helpful to the thread (I read the Accursed Kings in French several years and don't remember much from it but I think after I am done with The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail, I will get on it).

Good to have you back on the thread my friend.

Thanks.

As I'm reading The Iron King and I think there's something connected to ASOIAF I'll let you know.

The Iron King is on GRRM's reading list on his website which further enhances my beliefs that all these references are more than mere coincidences.

I'm not a believer in the Priory of Sion as chronicled by Pierre Plantard, but that aside the Templars themselves were great bankers and I too believe there are strong links between the IB and FM. I didn't make the connection with the HoBaW masonic symbolism though. Nice.

The Iron King is on GRRM's reading list on his website which further enhances my beliefs that all these references are more than mere coincidences.

I'm going to pay close attention to the parts where Jaques are in and if there are any other Templar characters (don't say if there are or aren't, spoilers), or if the other characters mention them.

I'm not a believer in the Priory of Sion as chronicled by Pierre Plantard, but that aside the Templars themselves were great bankers and I too believe there are strong links between the IB and FM. I didn't make the connection with the HoBaW masonic symbolism though. Nice.

Plantard's version is shaky but The Holy Blood and The Holy Grail makes a pretty damn strong case for its existence.

• 3 months later...

Granted. Great read. Love the subject, and the 1639 version of Les Bergers d'Arcadie is my favourite painting.

It is an awesome book. I think the real takeaway from it is the overwhelming body of evidence that about the Magdalene being pretty much written off from catholic literature. I think it gives credence to the theory that Lyanna's womb and by extension, Jon Snow, is the Holy Grail and the Holy Blood of Westeros.

Side note: Lets try to revive this thread, I have a feeling we have not circle the topic fully just yet.

Ok, I will now enter in philosophical/religious/literary view of Jon as Holy Blood... Some of you will find this crazy and wrong, but I plead all of you not to be that harsh :). This is paraphrased section of my Ice and fire animal project: Dragons that will come soon, Gods be good...

We will start with Heraclitus, the Greek philosopher. As many philosophers of Ancient Greece, he studied the classical elements, and the meaning of the term "logos". Heraclitus' teachings are extremely complex, and sometimes even seemingly contradictory. Heraclitus' version of logos is that it is fire, one of 4 classical elements. But, Heraclitus didn't stop there. In translating his work, many philosophers and scholars are sometimes confused with the way he used the word "logos". Sometimes, it is translated as "word", sometimes as "law" and sometimes as "account". In analysis of his work, we should have in mind of these nuances and use them in a way that they don't contradict each other. Ethically, Heraclitus presents "logos" as the universal, ever-lasting, ultimate law that dictates all others.

Now we move to early Christian theology. Heraclitus work has been adopted by many early Christian theologians, especially Hippolytus of Rome who, heavily influenced by Greek philosophers, used some of Heraclitus work for his interpretation of "logos" as "divine law". It is not certain whether Heraclitus' idea of logos is the one Hippolytus translated, but it certainly found its place in early Christian theology, that logos represents "the Word of the God" or divine will of the God.

The third step in this journey is actually Gospel of Jo(h)n. It is one of the four gospels of the New Testimony. Unlike three other Gospels, this one isn't as historical as it is religious. The content of it includes most important events of Jesus' life - his death, burial, resurrection and post-resurrection appearances. The Gospel starts with "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." (have in mind that the term John used for Word is actually logos).

Given Jon's origin, and some interpretations that Jon is actual "song of ice and fire", through idea of logos as fire and divine law which is embodied in ASOIAF through prophecies about PTWP (and probable equalization with AAR), and their ancient religious beliefs in Gods that are later connected with dragons through names - Balerion, Vhagar, Meraxes, we can actually argue that symbolically Jon's story is actually in a way influenced by Gospel of John, and that we can expect resurrection and confirmation of divine(or in ASOIAF - Targaryen) ancestry. So, just like Jesus is son of God, Jon represent much grounder version of the story, being the progeny of the line that is so closely connected with fire.

I hope this doesn't sound too crazy, and I hope I haven't derailed thread too much with possible religious symbolism in Jon's story...

Given Jon's origin, and some interpretations that Jon is actual "song of ice and fire", through idea of logos as fire and divine law which is embodied in ASOIAF through prophecies about PTWP (and probable equalization with AAR), and their ancient religious beliefs in Gods that are later connected with dragons through names - Balerion, Vhagar, Meraxes, we can actually argue that symbolically Jon's story is actually in a way influenced by Gospel of John, and that we can expect resurrection and confirmation of divine(or in ASOIAF - Targaryen) ancestry. So, just like Jesus is son of God, Jon represent much grounder version of the story, being the progeny of the line that is so closely connected with fire.

I hope this doesn't sound too crazy, and I hope I haven't derailed thread too much with possible religious symbolism in Jon's story...

What you have touched on here is one of key points I am trying to outline.

Jon is, to me, a representation of the early Merovingian kings who, if you believe the apocryphal gospels, were direct descendants of the bloodline fo Jesus through Mary Magdalene who travelled to southern France from modern-day Israel with (and possibly while bearing) Jesus's offsprings.

Remember that the term Holy Grail come from the old french word Sanreal with was likely misinterpreted to mean Saint Graal or Holy Grail but likely meant Sang Real or Holy Blood. This is where I think we tie in your association of Holiness with fire and Jon would, therefore have the blood of Fire or the Holy Blood of the Targaryens.

What you have touched on here is one of key points I am trying to outline.

Jon is, to me, a representation of the early Merovingian kings who, if you believe the apocryphal gospels, were direct descendants of the bloodline fo Jesus through Mary Magdalene who travelled to southern France from modern-day Israel with (and possibly while bearing) Jesus's offsprings.

Remember that the term Holy Grail come from the old french word Sanreal with was likely misinterpreted to mean Saint Graal or Holy Grail but likely meant Sang Real or Holy Blood. This is where I think we tie in your association of Holiness with fire and Jon would, therefore have the blood of Fire or the Holy Blood of the Targaryens.

I think we often exclude religious symbolism due to the fact this is fantasy genre, but given Martin's education and the fact he attended Catholic school and that he is as he says "lapsed Catholic", we simply can't exclude that easily any potential symbolism that might arise. I believe that Jon's "divine" origin, or in fantasy, as we call it "heroic" or most appropriately royal has a lot of religious symbolism in it. The whole idea of San real, or the King's blood, especially in connection with fire is quite important for the Targaryens. We have seen it through Daenerys, and we might see through Jon. This certainly speaks about his origin, bloodline, powerful magic, but GRRM is quite grounded with this. He won't transform Jon into some super-heroic figure, Jon will become "hero" because of who he is, not what bloodline he belongs to. And that is a subversion of cliche hero with royal blood in him.

I think we often exclude religious symbolism due to the fact this is fantasy genre, but given Martin's education and the fact he attended Catholic school and that he is as he says "lapsed Catholic", we simply can't exclude that easily any potential symbolism that might arise. I believe that Jon's "divine" origin, or in fantasy, as we call it "heroic" or most appropriately royal has a lot of religious symbolism in it. The whole idea of San real, or the King's blood, especially in connection with fire is quite important for the Targaryens. We have seen it through Daenerys, and we might see through Jon. This certainly speaks about his origin, bloodline, powerful magic, but GRRM is quite grounded with this. He won't transform Jon into some super-heroic figure, Jon will become "hero" because of who he is, not what bloodline he belongs to. And that is a subversion of cliche hero with royal blood in him.

Indeed and when looking at GRRM's inspirations for writing ASOIAF, a few key works cannot be overlooked. The first being Ivanhoe as well as other works by Christian de Troyes who was a proeminent writer of Arthurian and Grail Legend as well as The Iron King by Maurice Druon, who is also the author of the Accursed Kings, a major body of the work of the Templars.

I bring this up because I have made, in this thread and others, the case that Ser Arthur Dayne is really a representation of King Arthur (and by extension, Dawn is excalibur) as he is the protector of the Grail.

Back to your point, I don't think Jon will turn into a super heroic figure either. Remember that the Merovingian (who are arguably the descendants of the bloodline of Christ), were far from heroic and eventually met their demise like most other royal dynasties of the time.

• 3 months later...

I've just been reading this thread and I must say, it is very well thought out and put together. I am quite new to the subject but am definitely interested.

As for contribution: There is one reference to the Knights Templar in ASOIAF which is, i think, more explicit than any other references. The Knights Templar were also called: 'Poor Fellow-Soldiers of Christ and of the Temple of Solomon' (Source: Wikipedia). This, ofcourse, bears a striking resemblance to the order of the Poor Fellows in ASOIAF. It definitely seems like the Faith Militant is GRRM's version of the combatant branch of the Knights Templar. Now, from what very little knowledge i have gathered on the subject, i can tell that there were three ranks within the Knights Templar, namely the knights, the sergeants and the chaplains. The knights are of noble blood, and usually have multiple horses and are accompanied by squires. These Knights sound very much like ASOIAF's 'Warrior's Sons'. The second rank were the sergeants, who were not of noble blood and acted as builders and sometimes as soldiers. The sergeants, i think, represent ASOIAF's 'Poor Fellows'. Then the last rank consists of the chaplains. These were priests who performed religious duty's, and sound very similar to the Septons and Septas in Westeros. Other than these three ranks, there were so-called 'Grand Masters', who occupied the highest office of the Knights Templar. This of course sounds very much like the Grand Maester position in ASOIAF, but it could also be the High Septon. I also believe that the citadel has certain connections to The Faith, but this has been discussed already in this thread and i don't have anything particularly interesting to add to this point.

In any case, I find this topic very interesting, and would love to read some works on the matter. If anyone has suggestions as to where to start, feel free to let me know! :)

I've just been reading this thread and I must say, it is very well thought out and put together. I am quite new to the subject but am definitely interested.

As for contribution: There is one reference to the Knights Templar in ASOIAF which is, i think, more explicit than any other references. The Knights Templar were also called: 'Poor Fellow-Soldiers of Christ and of the Temple of Solomon' (Source: Wikipedia). This, ofcourse, bears a striking resemblance to the order of the Poor

Fellows in ASOIAF. It definitely seems like the Faith Militant is GRRM's version of the combatant branch of the Knights Templar. Now, from what very little knowledge i have gathered on the subject, i can tell that there were three ranks within the Knights Templar, namely the knights, the sergeants and the chaplains. The knights are of noble blood, and usually have multiple horses and are accompanied by squires. These Knights sound very much like ASOIAF's 'Warrior's Sons'. The second rank were the sergeants, who were not of noble blood and acted as builders and sometimes as soldiers. The sergeants, i think, represent ASOIAF's 'Poor Fellows'. Then the last rank consists of the chaplains. These were priests who performed religious duty's, and sound very similar to the Septons and Septas in Westeros. Other than these three ranks, there were so-called 'Grand Masters', who occupied the highest office of the Knights Templar. This of course sounds very much like the Grand Maester position in ASOIAF, but it could also be the High Septon. I also believe that the citadel has certain connections to The Faith, but this has been discussed

already in this thread and i don't have anything particularly interesting to add to this point.

In any case, I find this topic very interesting, and would love to read some works on the matter. If anyone has suggestions as to where to start, feel free to let me know! :)

The Warrior's Sons/ Poor Fellows are certainly based on an order like the Templars/Knights Hospitaller/Sword Brethren. We've yet to see much of their organisation. They've only been around for a few months and aren't very numerous at this point. I expect they answer directly to the HS, rather than having their own Grand Master.

• 2 months later...

This is a great thread, I'm going to resurrect it.

I'm interested in esoteric Masonry, and I have always been stuck by how the ice and fire dichotomy itself is drawn from the alchemical tradition which is also represented in freemasonry.

Fire, is the male principle which represents intellect. Water (in this case ice), is the feminine principle which represents emotion. Here is a masonic image showing the two pillars Jochim and Boaz, bearing the alchemical fire and water symbols at the top. The upward facing triangle under the Sun/masculine or Doric pillar represents fire. The downward facing triangle on the Moon/female or Corinthian pillar, represents water: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1c/JachinBoaz.jpg

Someone mentioned Solomon. The seal of Solomon is an ancient combination of the fire (masculine) and water (feminine) alchemical/free-masonic symbols that I mentioned above: http://janeadamsart.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/seal-solomon-sun-moon.jpg

Sol=sun (male, upward facing triangle, intellect, the blade)

Mon=moon (female, downward triangle, emotion, the chalice or grail)

One of the lessons of freemasonry is that you need a balance between the intellect/reason (fire) and the emotions (water) to have will/wisdom (the divine child).

The song of Solomon= balance between fire and water = the Song of Ice and Fire.

We must be careful when we talk about Masonic symbols because there is so much bs about them in our popular culture these days. I include books like the DaVinci Code and internet charlatans like Jordan Maxwell in this category. Stories like that of Mary Magdelene, the Holy Grail and the Arc of the Covenant are allegorical but as Masons advance through the degrees they learn the esoteric meaning of these symbols. I should think that a book like Manley Palmer Hall's, The Secret Teachings of All Ages, would be a far better source of reference to begin with.

I agree about the misunderstanding in popular culture.

The other thing is that these symbols are not exclusive to Freemasonry. Many originated with the hermetic tradition in Egypt and the have come down to us via all of the mystery/wisdom traditions in both the East and West.

Someone mentioned Heraclitus...he and Pythagoras and some of the other Greeks understood these symbols and concepts, which later appeared in alchemy, Rosicrucianism, etc.

The idea that everything is exclusive to one religious or wisdom tradition, is a product of the over contextualization of information into "subjects," by our modern education system. We have forgotten how to think holistically.

Just because GRRM is a lapsed Catholic, doesn't mean he can't read and understand alchemy and so on.

I'm not a Mason, and you don't need to be one to understand everything Masonic.... if you read, learn, and meditate on the tracing boards and understand esoteric symbolism at a general level.

Archived