Brienne is in love with Jaime.

Chickren

Yup, I more or less agree, though I think the importance/dramatic irony involved is not so much the hidden Lannister mirroring the hidden Targaryen, as the Kingslayer's bastard inheriting the Isle of Thappireth!

yes, and that last sentance had me LOL'ing for real.

I'm surprised this is even a thread tbh. I thought it was fairly obvious since AFFC.

And yet people still question it according to the responses of the OP. I honestly don't get it. I want more information

That's what her dialouge represents for me,she is awestruck by him it also backs up why her opinion of him changed so quickly.

Is there anyway you could go in to further detail as to why you interpret her thoughts that way? And even if she is "awestruck" how does that preclude her from being in love with him?

Well, we haven't heard they are like brother and sister yet.

I do feel slightly bad for Hyle Hunt, he's quite decent I think, but faces unstoppable competition.

I wonder about him, too, I don't think his part in the story is done yet.

And even if she is "awestruck" how does that preclude her from being in love with him?

I wonder, too. What does it take to call it love? Putting the other first, attraction, that's there. Do they need the words?

I think it goes deeper than just "in love" and what not. What she felt for Renly and what he felt for Cersei, though completely different things, are both crumbling away and the respective people are realizing how bullshit all of it was. Brienne and Jaime went through a lot together and saw each other at their (arguable) worst and best. So there's definitely something. Whether it's romantic love or not, I don't know.

I think it goes deeper than just "in love" and what not. What she felt for Renly and what he felt for Cersei, though completely different things, are both crumbling away and the respective people are realizing how bullshit all of it was. Brienne and Jaime went through a lot together and saw each other at their (arguable) worst and best. So there's definitely something. Whether it's romantic love or not, I don't know.

There are similarities between Jaime/Brienne's feelings for Cersei/Renly. Though Jaime's were more mature and deeper, both were only in love with the image Renly/Cersei put on. Renly was just as cruel as the others to Brienne, when alone and simply used him. The same with Cersei and Jaime. I am not sure if Cersei ever really loved Jaime, but just used him whenever she needed something. At least Jaime is now aware of how he was used. I wonder if Brienne is ready to discover the same thing about Renly.

Cool, so apart from some unsubstantiated one-line denials, no one has any valid arguments against this statement:

Brienne is in love with Jaime.

So can we now, and forever, accept this as fact and not have to re-argue it every single time we discuss Brienne's character or future storyline?

They'll each try to protect the other. Another one of those get behind me, no, you get behind me things, like they did when facing the bear.

“What are you doing here?”

“Something stupid. Get behind me.” He circled toward her, putting himself between Brienne and the bear.

“You get behind. I have the sword.”

“A sword with no point and no edge. Get behind me!”...

Brienne tried to dart around, but he kicked her legs out from under her. She fell in the sand, clutching the useless sword. Jaime straddled her, and the bear came charging.

It never seems like we move past the "is it a romance or not" question with any of these, but I admire your optimism. :)

Ha! First time I've been called an optimist, ever.

But I find it really funny that no one has offered even a shred of evidence to refute it.

Chickren - thank you for this excellent thread and OP. Yep, I'm here to say that Brienne is definitely in love with Jaime. Aside from my own "gut feeling" about it, you've given us rock solid documentation.

Thanks! At least there's a thread to link to now...

• 9 months later...

I'm surprised this is even a thread tbh. I thought it was fairly obvious since AFFC. What I'm not as sure about is whether or not Jaime reciprocates her feelings (I really think there's a good chance he might, but I'm not sure).

He does reciprocate her feelings, but I dunno if both feelings are love. I'm more they are still in the intense like phase and refuse to acknowledge it. Martin has a talent for writing, men when they are feeling attracted to someone think about them in a sexual context, whereas women it's more about the emotion. Brienne has many sexual thoughts about Jaime but more so they are filled with emotion. "Will he comfort me if I cry on his shoulder?"

So yes, they do have feeling for one another, it's just portrayed differently because well one is a man, one is a woman. Men it can initially be sexual, and their feelings translate to sex, verses women it's much about emotion and intimacy. So yes it's mutual just shows up differently

a Jaime and Brienne romance simply cannot be sustained. that's why i think the most fitting ending is brienne sacrificing herself for Jaime

i for one think that Jaime will sacrifice himself for her, but not before impregnating her with a son who will take the Tarth name.

a Jaime and Brienne romance simply cannot be sustained. that's why i think the most fitting ending is brienne sacrificing herself for Jaime

I think Jaime has a huge role to play. Your right but that doesn't mean there can't be any fun ;)

i for one think that Jaime will sacrifice himself for her, but not before impregnating her with a son who will take the Tarth name.

Maybe, but I'm still on the Kingmaker theory kick, I don't see Jaime sacrificing himself anytime soon, he has a job to do

Archived