[Book Spoilers] Will Robb name the Heir to Winterfell?

Do you guys think the show will find time to name Jon Snow the heir to winterfell should anything happen to him in the coming episode?

Or does the fact that Talisa is pregnant make it so that this whole scene from the books doesn't make sense in the context of the show?

I hope they get it in as I loved this bit from the books.

But I also fear that since this is coming in Episode 9, Robb's impending fate may be too telegraphed if they show this scene, whereas in the books the scenes really didn't give anything away.

They could probably put it in if they wanted to.

Re: the telegraphing the red wedding thing... from all the unsullied reviewers/commentators I've read online leading up to this episode, I can say with some confidence that they are ALREADY worried about Robb, BUT they are worried about him WHEN (heh) he attacks Casterly Rock. So the will thing probably wouldn't tip them off to the RW, given their already-existing concerns.

I'd be very disappointed if he doesn't name an heir and have some sort of messenger travel to Howland Reed. It seems like a significant part in the story and it must play a role later in the books. Howland Reed must play a role too. They've eluded to him in the show too, when Jojen and Bran were talking about his friendship with Ned, and I think Jojen said he cried when Ned died

I think they will kill off Talisa. I also think she's a spy and isn't pregnant. But is tricking Robb in to believing she is pregant. She is doing this in order to ensure he doesn't name a different heir. So that when he dies his lineage will end. However I think the Freys/Lannisters will have Talisa killed off in order to make sure she isn't pregnant, or because they are unaware that she is a spy.

On track on the OST is named "The Heir to Winterfell". Who the heir is we don't know, not even Jon knows. It could be Sansa, but that would be too dangerous since Littlefinger would later on have the heir to Winterfell. Something has to happen, or else that whole Stannis on the Wall trying to make Jon lord of Winterfell wouldn't make as much sense.

Do you guys think the show will find time to name Jon Snow the heir to winterfell should anything happen to him in the coming episode?

I think that ship sailed the moment Talisa told him she was pregnant. We know better, but Robb still believes he's going to marry his uncle to the one army that would help him defeat the Lannisters.

In his mind, he can't lose.

I think so. They have to tread lightly though because Robb suddenly naming an heir could cause some suspicion, as you said. It seems too important to leave out, considering I think there's a very high chance it will be important one day. I'm interested to see how they do it with a pregnant Talisa though.

I think that ship sailed the moment Talisa told him she was pregnant. We know better, but Robb still believes he's going to marry his uncle to the one army that would help him defeat the Lannisters.

In his mind, he can't lose.

Why has that ship sailed?

Robb's concerned about the possibility of his death - but, obvious question, what happens if he dies and Talisa miscarries, or there are complications in childbirth resulting in death? Under the assumption Bran and Rickon are dead, would then go to Sansa, right? And he just found out about Sansa's wedding to Tyrion.

So a backup plan on Robb's part wouldn't be a bad idea.

Why has that ship sailed?

Robb's concerned about the possibility of his death - but, obvious question, what happens if he dies and Talisa miscarries, or there are complications in childbirth resulting in death? Under the assumption Bran and Rickon are dead, would then go to Sansa, right? And he just found out about Sansa's wedding to Tyrion.

So a backup plan on Robb's part wouldn't be a bad idea.

Yep. Don't forget that Tyrion has just been married to Sansa, and news about that would most likely make Robb name Jon his heir to prevent the Lannisters from getting the North in case everything goes wrong. I think the last point is the most important one, and I don't think it would seem that suspicious at all, since the wedding was in the previous episode, and it would be natural to have Robb's decision as soon as possible.

On track on the OST is named "The Heir to Winterfell". Who the heir is we don't know, not even Jon knows. It could be Sansa, but that would be too dangerous since Littlefinger would later on have the heir to Winterfell. Something has to happen, or else that whole Stannis on the Wall trying to make Jon lord of Winterfell wouldn't make as much sense.

Exactly this. I also think this detail is to important to be left out.

I think so. They have to tread lightly though because Robb suddenly naming an heir could cause some suspicion, as you said. It seems too important to leave out, considering I think there's a very high chance it will be important one day. I'm interested to see how they do it with a pregnant Talisa though.

They can't play with the audience expectations at this point, the whole shock of the wedding scene rest on the fact no one expects what's coming.

If Robb suddenly names an heir, despite his pregnant wife and this winning arrangement, you basically spell it out something is wrong.

It didn't happen on the books because Jayne wasn't pregnant, but it could ruin the episode for Talisa is pregnant.

They can't play with the audience expectations at this point, the whole shock of the wedding scene rest on the fact no one expects what's coming.

If Robb suddenly names an heir, despite his pregnant wife and this winning arrangement, you basically spell it out something is wrong.

It didn't happen on the books because Jayne wasn't pregnant, but it could ruin the episode for Talisa is pregnant.

---> Sansa married to Lannisters <---

If Robb and his unborn child dies, the Lannisters will win. He must have a backup plan. The god damn wedding was in the previous episode. Having Robb ponder about this alliance in his first scenes after the wedding would not seem that suspicious. All this season the characters have been fencing with each other through plots and alliances. Robb naming his heir would just seem like a strike against the Lannister's plot.

Sansa is not pregnant.

As far as Robb and Catelyn are concerned, she hasn't even flowered yet so her marriage poses no threat.

Nor will it until Talisa's children come of age (if Sansa even has any children by then).

What if Tyrion got her pregnant, that would pose a threat. The possibilities are there, and I doubt Robb would just ignore that possible threat. They've made it pretty important in the show that Sansa is the key to the North, and I find it unlikely that Robb is not going to do something.

ETA: grammar 'n stuff

I would be very surprised if it was left out. That Cat-Talisa scene seemed like a set up for the will scene. I could see them changing the will scene itself perhaps make Cat accept Jon as an heir, but it would be weird to include some of the scenes they have and then remove the will scene.

He probably will be named heir but the scene won't be shown. However, like the books (hopefully) it will be revealed to Jon at some point, coming as a shock to him and the audience.

It will be one of those important things that has happened but wasn't shown, coming as an unexpected surprise. Perhaps, there will be a mystery- Northern Lords keeping a secret and the audience knowing this but not knowing what the secret is until it's revealed to be Jon being heir.

This would be a good plot surprise for the audience as 'The King in the North' would have been out of the picture for awhile but then its revealed the role could be Jon's- who at this point will be a very admirable character, being LC and all.

This is what I think will happen. I can't see the 'naming Jon heir scene' happening in the same episode as the RW, it would be giving too much away and taking away from the tragedy as there will still be hope in the defeat.

I think that ship sailed. They should have had a meeting when Robb and Cat learned about Bran and Rickon's "fates".

Unless I missed it, the whole "make them know what it feels to lose what they love" scene hasnt' happened yet and that could be a scene in this episode about they finding out and finally, Robb makes some decisions. To tv audience, the fact that they just found out about the children being dead would be even more shocking when the RW happens as they probably thought they would get their revenge after the alliance with the Freys.

On topic, pregnant or not, mostly noble houses have "backups" in case they die. The Lannisters have a lot of cousins, the Starks have three male sons. If Robb and his heir die, the Stark name dies as well, and h e knows it: he needs to name an heir for the good of their name.

He probably will be named heir but the scene won't be shown. However, like the books (hopefully) it will be revealed to Jon at some point, coming as a shock to him and the audience.

It will be one of those important things that has happened but wasn't shown, coming as an unexpected surprise. Perhaps, there will be a mystery- Northern Lords keeping a secret and the audience knowing this but not knowing what the secret is until it's revealed to be Jon being heir.

This would be a good plot surprise for the audience as 'The King in the North' would have been out of the picture for awhile but then its revealed the role could be Jon's- who at this point will be a very admirable character, being LC and all.

This is what I think will happen. I can't see the 'naming Jon heir scene' happening in the same episode as the RW, it would be giving too much away and taking away from the tragedy as there will still be hope in the defeat.

Up until reading this, I was worried about not getting a will scene. I think I would like how that would play out as you described, particularly a time after the audience thinking the North being lost and still reeling from the RW this would be a nice and uplifting surprise, but I still wouldn't mind seeing the scene...lol.

My guess, Talisa is pregnant and this will make the will obsolete from the show standpoint. As other's have pointed out, the will would also be a bit to telling for some viewers.

As 'DarkHorse' mentioned, I hope it's something we find out later in the show. It would be a wonderful surprise.

My guess, Talisa is pregnant and this will make the will obsolete from the show standpoint. As other's have pointed out, the will would also be a bit to telling for some viewers.

I just think it would be a huge give away that would ruin the effect of the wedding on the show.

Archived