Sandor vs. Gregor?

Masamune

Not so much a 'who would win?' but did anyone think it was nailed on for Sandor to slay Gregor? The moment they were introduced, I thought they would someday resume their battle at the Hand's Tourney and Sandor would take his revenge. I know GRRM is quite counterculture in the literary world and likes to tear down our expectations, but I still had this sneaky suspicion he'd allow for some Clegane on Clegane justice. Perhaps it was a coin toss between Sandor & Oberyn? Who had the biggest grudge to bear?

People have speculated that Sandor will be the Faith's champion and fight against unGregor (Robert Strong) at Cersei's trial. Doesn't really have the same payoff, though, does it? This is far from the same creature who destroyed his childhood and scarred him forever. Does he even have a head? Sandor fighting a patched-up Frankenstein version of his brother doesn't carry the same punch to it, from his perspective at least.

Sandor can't go waltzing back to King's Landing, at least not for a very long while. He's wanted for desertion and the sack of the Saltpans. He's also lame.

I just posted this in another Sandor thread, but I do think he'll eventually have to fight UnGregor, but it will be in defense of Sansa and his own self. Cersei is going to hear about Sansa's whereabouts and send UnGregor to bring her back to King's Landing, so I think they'll meet up at the Vale.

I'd love to see another showdown between Gregor and Sandor, but I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon. The Hound isn't the man he used to be. He can't fight, not with that lame leg. I've no clue who else could be a champion for the Faith, but I'm pretty sure it's not gonna be Sandor.

It would be interesting, but that would mean Sandor has to go back to KL at some point. IF he does, I don't think it would be in time for Cersei's trial.

Unless the trial was delayed or something. Who knows what will happen with Martin :).

I'd love to see another showdown between Gregor and Sandor, but I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon. The Hound isn't the man he used to be. He can't fight, not with that lame leg. I've no clue who else could be a champion for the Faith, but I'm pretty sure it's not gonna be Sandor.

Maybe Lancel?

Maybe Lancel?

Oh yeah, he's unmatched when it comes to fighting prowess. :P

But that would be the most interesting option. Would Cersei allow Robert Strong to fight and kill her cousin? Lannisters have been dropping like flies, and the last thing they need is to start fighting each other.

I don't think the Hound is permanantly lame. His leg may just be healing.

I don't think the faith (in good faith) would choose Sandor as their champion. It was very hard to redeem Sandor from fighting and they will most likely won't push him into the foray once again.

I agree. It seems like contradictory character development for the hound to both become a godly man AND go to King's Landing and slay FrankenGregor. I think either he forsakes violence and stays on the quiet isle, or he decides to say screw god, pick the Hound helm and go on a roaring rampage of revenge. Anything else is inconsistent. Unless perhaps he goes to battle only for Sansa's sake, since he has such an affection for her. But the faith probably wouldn't condone that, so that doesn't seem likely.

I think the most likely scenario is that Sansa goes on trial, Sandor says bollocks to the faith and decides to lay the smackdown on FrankenGregor. I think it seems like Sandor is too bitter to simply convert to the faith and live out the quiet life of a monk. Not after all his talk about there being no gods or true knights. He's one the characters that most represents a modern viewpoint, I don't think Martin would change him into a true believer out of the blue. He's a fighter, and I think he's going to die fighting.

Would Cersei allow Robert Strong to fight and kill her cousin? Lannisters have been dropping like flies, and the last thing they need is to start fighting each other.

I'm not 100% certain, but with all the brooding she has done in her cell waiting for her punishment/trial, I wouldn't put it past her thinking about offing Lancel for ratting her out.

I think Sandor could have defeated Gregor in life. He is probably a more skilled swordsman than Gregor, and has the size and strength that at least don't make him like a child compared to his brother. Also highly motivated.

Robert Strong, though, is literally impossible to kill. Unless it's Robert Strong v. Drogon, it's not going to happen.

Someone has suggested that Bran's book 1 vision of the golden man, the man with Hound's helm, and the headless giant looming over them is not Jaime/Hound/UnGregor, but Jaime/Brienne/UnGregor. Because of course Sandor doesn't have his helm anymore, Rorge took it, then the BwB took it.

So if Brienne & Jaime evade Stoneheart, it's possible Brienne would take to wearing the helm to cover her facial disfigurement. Somehow, Brienne becomes the Faith's champion against Bob Strong, lands a few good blows, but then is implacably outclassed by the monster and facing death. Jaime stops the fight by confessing his treason/ twincest to the world and by extension, declaring Cersei guilty. (hand of the valonquar)

So yeah, Robert Strong not beatable in single combat and I'm not betting on Sandor being picked by the Faith to fight him.

Some interesting things can happen in the aftermath too, obviously...

Archived