Season 3 Soundtrack Announced

Westeros

I do not think so... it has Dany's theme in it

Dany's theme is just a different permutation of the show theme. It does have Valyrian in it, which is more of a point in your favour but then Thoros knows Valyrian too. It may be it's used in both places with different parts of the track, but to me it sounds too mournful for the Mysha scene.

EDIT: Although 1.42 onwards sounds triumphant enough. So yeah I reckon it'll be split. The actual Mysha scene will have the second half, and the Uncat scene will have the first half, with the rest of the song continuing over the credits.

Even if Mhysa isn't triumphant enough for Dany I don't see how anyone can say it matches the mood of Cat's resurrection. Surely the latter scene is meant to be eerie and abrupt?

I don't know. To me personally reading the books, her reveal wasn't eerie, it was tragic, maybe even more than the RW itself. To see such a strong, loyal, and loving person reduced to Lady Stoneheart... it was heartbreaking.

Even if Mhysa isn't triumphant enough for Dany I don't see how anyone can say it matches the mood of Cat's resurrection. Surely the latter scene is meant to be eerie and abrupt?

The first part of Mysha sounds pretty sad and eerie to me, It'll come as a surprise but I don't think it will abrupt. I'm hoping they'll do it (or at least start it) with Nymeria pulling Cat's body out of the water, whilst Arya is wolf dreaming. Then Nymeria runs off as she sees the BWB coming and we switch to their POV. I'm thinking it would be good without sound aside from the music.

I don't know. To me personally reading the books, her reveal wasn't eerie, it was tragic, maybe even more than the RW itself. To see such a strong, loyal, and loving person reduced to Lady Stoneheart... it was heartbreaking.

Think the reaction to Merrett Frey seeing Uncat was half shock, half tragic. If Uncat is in e10 I think it will be her resurrection rather than her hanging Freys, and seeing her coming back to life and with a slashed throat opening her eyes again is more shocking than tragic I reckon.

The first part of Mysha sounds pretty sad and eerie to me, It'll come as a surprise but I don't think it will abrupt. I'm hoping they'll do it (or at least start it) with Nymeria pulling Cat's body out of the water, whilst Arya is wolf dreaming. Then Nymeria runs off as she sees the BWB coming and we switch to their POV. I'm thinking it would be good without sound aside from the music.

It's eerie in the sense it sounds like a Gregorian chant in a church with ethereal voices, rather than a creepy horror sort of eerie. I don't know if I'm splitting hairs here but it doesn't sound right to me, I'm sure if I saw that scene with that music as you predict I'd probably like it though.

edit: actually I can see the mournful aspect of it working, if D&D emphasise the tragedy of Cat's resurrection and don't have it so abrupt then it could come off.

It's eerie in the sense it sounds like a Gregorian chant in a church with ethereal voices, rather than a creepy horror sort of eerie. I don't know if I'm splitting hairs here but it doesn't sound right to me, I'm sure if I saw that scene with that music as you predict I'd probably like it though.

edit: actually I can see the mournful aspect of it working, if D&D emphasise the tragedy of Cat's resurrection and don't have it so abrupt then it could come off.

I don't think it should be horror movie eerie. Gregorian church eerie with the ominous Latin Valyrian chanting is the kind of thing I can see playing over the resurrection especially as it is technically a religious event. And given that she's a mutilated corpse, and they've established that resurrections aren't fun and games in this series, the sad aspect of it should work fine.

I don't think it should be horror movie eerie. Gregorian church eerie with the ominous Latin Valyrian chanting is the kind of thing I can see playing over the resurrection especially as it is technically a religious event. And given that she's a mutilated corpse, and they've established that resurrections aren't fun and games in this series, the sad aspect of it should work fine.

Yeah fair, when I read the ASoS epilogue the feeling I got was more creepy horror eerie, but I understand that it was tragic too and a lot of people saw it that way. In that case, roll on Mhysa for Uncat.

and what about For The Realm, the acoustic guitar version of the main theme? do you think it will be played in episode 10? in the credits? other ideas?

A very ironic song to play over the montage of Stark soldiers being massacred at the twins?

EDIT: Regarding Mysha there's actually a distinct break in the song upon closer listening. At 1:33 the sad section of the song fades out and then at 1:37 the triumphant part of the score blares into life. So I can imagine that the moment Cat opens her eyes we get that first drum roll and then cut to credits.

EDIT: Regarding Mysha there's actually a distinct break in the song upon closer listening. At 1:33 the sad section of the song fades out and then at 1:37 the triumphant part of the score blares into life. So I can imagine that the moment Cat opens her eyes we get that first drum roll and then cut to credits.

I think you may be right about "drum roll, then credits" (good point), but if it will be so, in my opinion in that scene we'll see something about Dany, mainly because the lyrics of the song are in Valyrian

I think you may be right about "drum roll, then credits" (good point), but if it will be so, in my opinion in that scene we'll see something about Dany, mainly because the lyrics of the song are in Valyrian

Like I said, Thoros knows Valyrian, and the song could also play in both Dany's and Uncat's scene.

If it is used for Uncat, it would have been super awesome if the Valyrian lyrics where Thoros' prayers from E5.

I do wonder if the Mysha song will actually accompany the Mysha scene. It doesn't really sound triumphant enough imo. A slightly altered version of Mother of Dragons would be what I would expect.

So I think "Mysha" will play for Uncat.

You really don't think it sounds triumphant? I think it's by far the most triumphant track yet and completely fits with the tone of the "Mhysa" scene, which was not only uplifting and empowering but incredibly emotional. The track has all of this. But YMMV.

The track starts slow and hits an uplifting moment as you said, which is probably the moment when Dany starts smiling because she realises that they're calling her mother. Like I said, the pace of the track completely fits with what we got in the book.

Plus David Peterson said (in response to a poster here who asked about it) that the Valyrian in the "Mhysa" track are also lines for Dany.

If we're getting Catelyn's revival (which I'm doubting more and more by the day), I'm expecting a very different tone - something in between 'Three Blasts' and 'Finale'.

If we're getting Catelyn's revival (which I'm doubting more and more by the day), I'm expecting a very different tone - something in between 'Three Blasts' and 'Finale'.

Maybe "Dark Wings, Dark Words"? A track we haven't heard yet.

You really don't think it sounds triumphant? I think it's by far the most triumphant track yet and completely fits with the tone of the "Mhysa" scene, which was not only uplifting and empowering but incredibly emotional. The track has all of this. But YMMV.

The track starts slow and hits an uplifting moment as you said, which is probably the moment when Dany starts smiling because she realises that they're calling her mother. Like I said, the pace of the track completely fits with what we got in the book.

Plus David Peterson said (in response to a poster here who asked about it) that the Valyrian in the "Mhysa" track are also lines for Dany.

I agree, it doesn't sound appropriate for the revival of Catelyn, (or the introduction of whoever will be filling the Lady Stoneheart role) that should be something more menacing, presumably with a Stark theme to it. This one is too triumphant, it has to be the soundtrack for the 'Mhysa' scene.

It seems you failed to read my more recent posts. The second half is triumphant (and will imo be played over the credits and the Mysha scene.) whereas the first half is very mournful. Imo that first half fits perfectly for Uncat.

Yeah, it fits for Dany's scene. The choral voices remind me of similar voices that have been used for scenes with dragons in the past, as well.

It seems you failed to read my more recent posts. The second half is triumphant (and will imo be played over the credits and the Mysha scene.) whereas the first half is very mournful. Imo that first half fits perfectly for Uncat.

LMAO well I addressed your later posts so quite clearly I read them.

I repeat: the track fits perfectly with the event as described in the book. It starts slow, and then when Dany realises they're calling her mother everything picks up. I've been visualising this moment for two years, and the track fits almost perfectly with that vision.

The revival of UnCat will need to sound triumphant but also vengeful and terrifying; it should almost feel like a mix between 'Three Blasts' and 'Finale'. 'Mhysa' is certainly not the correct tone.

To give some credibility to 'Mhysa playing during Uncat', Dark Wings, Dark Words is ostensibly meant for Catelyn and Robb but sounds like a Dany track. Plus they had Pay the Iron Price from s2 on when Robb beheaded Karstark. They've shown they're happy to mix music with different characters when there are themes in common (and Mhysa is a common theme).

edit: listening to the OST again and didn't realise how good You Know Nothing and Wall of Ice were the first time, pretty sure The Lannisters Send Their Regards is a variation on the latter too.

LMAO well I addressed your later posts so quite clearly I read them.

I repeat: the track fits perfectly with the event as described in the book. It starts slow, and then when Dany realises they're calling her mother everything picks up. I've been visualising this moment for two years, and the track fits almost perfectly with that vision.

The revival of UnCat will need to sound triumphant but also vengeful and terrifying; it should almost feel like a mix between 'Three Blasts' and 'Finale'. 'Mhysa' is certainly not the correct tone.

I read your post, I disagree with it. And I don't see why you need to give a patronising "LMFAO" when we're simply discussing the placement of a sound track.

Imo, the first half of the track sounds too sad for the Mysha scene. Had it simply been quiet and slow like say the start of Mother of Dragons, I would agree with you. However I think that the sad tune works much better in regards to Uncat whereas the latter half works much better in regards to the Mysha theme. Seeing as soundtracks are rarely used in their entirety I see absolutely no problem with different parts of the soundtrack being used in different scenes. More likely at the start of the Mysha scene we'll get some strains of whatever exotic instrument is always playing in Dany's tunes and then it will break into "Mysha" - which is to say, the second half of the song.

While you may think that "the track fits perfectly with the events in the books" and it's "certainly not the correct tone" for Uncat, I have a differing opinion. Which is what we're discussing - opinions. I really don't see why you have to intrude upon a perfectly civil discussion regarding the soundtracks with patronising comments that present your opinions as fact.

Archived