[BOOK SPOILERS} The Lannister's send their regards.

So with the season 3 soundtrack released , and with Jaime telling Roose bolton to tell Robb Stark "the lannisters send their regards" its seems obvious that this will replace Roose saying "Jaime Lannister sends his regards".

My question is does this have significant impact for Jaime Lannisters story in "The Winds Of Winter". I was under the impression that uncat would be pissed at Jaime beacuse this is what Roose says as Robb is killed , implying to her that Jaime betrayed their arangment and was in on the whole red wedding plot so when the wench leads Jaime to uncat this will be on uncat's mind when she is deciding his fate.

Now that in the upcoming episode that line will be replaced with " the lannisters send their regards" what do you guys think it means for Jaime's faith in The Winds Of Winter.

I don't know what it will mean in The Winds of Winter, but I'm pretty sure it means we will get an even more whitewasked Jaime on the show. I gues they will make it in the show more af a crazy uncat against a pretty decent Jaime, if we ever get so far on the show. It won't have an effect on the book tWoW, but that book isn't even out yet so we can't possibly have any idea how it will turn out.

I'm probably sounding silly, but they could have Roose himself change the line. We already had Jaime saying the Lannisters send their regards, but it could be Roose changes it to Jaime just to fuck with Catelyn and Robb. The unsullied would know what Jaime actually said, and that Roose changed it (if the unsullied can be trusted to remember Jaime's line two episodes ago). Hence we don't have a huge unsullied rage at Jaime, while at the same time we get to see how wicked Roose actually is, while at the same time keeping our Jaime Lannister sends his regards.

Yeah ... not going to happen :frown5:

Whereas UnCat's vendetta against Jaime is likely going to be very personal in TWoW because of Roose's line, I don't think the show's version is going to be affected too strongly by it. He remains a Lannister after all, so he is still a perfectly viable target for her vengeance with the new line.

Now that in the upcoming episode that line will be replaced with " the lannisters send their regards" what do you guys think it means for Jaime's faith in The Winds Of Winter.

Actually, Jaime said: "Tell Robb Stark I'm sorry to miss his uncle's wedding. The Lannister send their regards".

In my opinion, If Bolton omits the first line and only uses the second he only condemns himself.

Especially, once he takes over Winterfell and marries his bastard to "Arya".

ETA: Catelyn can't tell if its the real Arya or not.

It'd bug me, but I think it doesn't really matter for Jaime's later storyline. UnCat wants to destroy all Freys and all Lannisters and Jaime is the closest Lannister at hand, so there wouldn't be much change in the end.

I've always thought Catelyn went after Jaime because of Brienne more than anything else.

She found what was basically her friend with a Lannister sword, screaming this particular Lannister's name in her sleep, with a nickname such as "the Kingslayer's whore" and a Lannister squire calling her Ser- My-Lady..

If you ask me, Cat is trying to prove Brienne and not Jaime.

Actually, Jaime said: "Tell Robb Stark I'm as sorry to miss his uncle's wedding. The Lannister send their regards".

In my opinion, If Bolton omits the first line and only uses the second he only condemns himself.

Especially, once he takes over Winterfell and marries his bastard to "Arya".

ETA: Catelyn can't tell if its the real Arya or not.

I'm confused what exactly did Jaimie say in the book. Was it the Lannisters send their regards or was it send my regards?

Whitewashed Jaime?!

While I thin the term "whitewashed" is too strong (and too overused...), I think it is basically a fair point. The showrunners oviously don't want the viewers to associate Jaime with something as horrible and offending as the Red Wedding, since, you know, Jaime is now "good". They want the audience to root for him now and because they changed the line into "the Lannisters send their regards", most of the viewers probably wont think of Jaime at that moment but of Tywin.

Presonally I think they should have kept it as it was in the books. GRRM made a pretty bold move by having us remember Jaime during the RW, even though he was on his way to becimg a better person. It's the same reason I liked his repugnant sex scene with period-Cersei next to Joff's corpse; Jaime having had a redemption arc doesn't exclude his relationship with his vile sister by default. It's only later wehen he sees what she truly is that his feelings towards her change (which he does as a consequence of his changed personality - it's not something that happens automatically because he has rescued Brienne from a bear or something)

Now that I think of it, "whitewashed" is a completely inappropriate term, considering that Jaime killed his cousin last season and that he meant his line only as a joke, since he dind't have any part in the RW...

I'm confused what exactly did Jaimie say in the book. Was it the Lannisters send their regards or was it send my regards?

I was talking about the show. On the book it was pretty much the same line except Jaime sent his own regards instead of his family's (and he never mentioned he was sorry to miss the uncle's wedding).

As much as I really, really love the "Jaime Lannister sends his regards" line, I agree with their reasoning for changing it. Due to the lack of internal monologue, it would make many people think Jaime and Roose plotted the RW off-screen, and that could ruin Jaime's entire redemption arc. At least Roose will send someone's regards to Robb, and that is enough to please me, but I'll still be in mourn for Jaime's regards :(

Ahh I see. Personally I would prefer they keep it as Jaimie. I understand the rationale to change it if it happens, to prevent confusion about whether Jaimie organized it, but I think Jaimies arc would be more interesting if at least for moment people thought Jaimie had a hand in it. I will be sort of shocked if they change it as its arguably the most iconic line of the book.

I don't know what it will mean in The Winds of Winter, but I'm pretty sure it means we will get an even more whitewasked Jaime on the show. I gues they will make it in the show more af a crazy uncat against a pretty decent Jaime, if we ever get so far on the show. It won't have an effect on the book tWoW, but that book isn't even out yet so we can't possibly have any idea how it will turn out.

I'm a massive Cat fan, but I've always seen this as a crazy uncat going against (arguably)decent Jaime. Uncat isn't really cat, her actions are pretty unreasonable and she's only motivated by vengeance. All they need to do to explain her wanting to kill Jaime is have someone on the show explain that she shouldn't have really been resurrected.

ACTUALLY, I think it's possible they changed it specifically so that they could keep Jaime Lannister sends his regards.

If Jaime kept it general and sarcastic, it makes it clearer that it was just a joke. So when he tells Robb that Jaime specifically sends it, it does multiple things

1) Shows Ramsay to be a sick bastard like his son.

2) Lets him troll Robb before he kills him

3) Lets him troll Catelyn by reminding her how much she screwed up, making her think it's all her fault.

4) Makes it even clearer to the non-readers that he is taking Jaime's comment out of context, and that he was in on it even back when he released Jaime.

Archived