A game of "What Ifs"

thewingedwolf

Hello boys and girls,

Here is how this works. The point is to ask a "What if" question about ASOIAF (i.e. how would the story be affecetd if an event had happened differently that it did). Each poster must answer the "What If" posted previously and provide a new one so the thread keeps going. The only rule is that the "What If" posted must have had a significant impact on the story.

So let me start with this:

What if Oberyn Martell won Tyrion's trial by combat?

Hello boys and girls,

Here is how this works. The point is to ask a "What if" question about ASOIAF (i.e. how would the story be affecetd if an event had happened differently that it did). Each poster must answer the "What If" posted previously and provide a new one so the thread keeps going. The only rule is that the "What If" posted must have had a significant impact on the story.

So let me start with this:

What if Oberyn Martell won Tyrion's trial by combat?

Well, one phase of the Martells plan works and there is probably a war between Martell ad Lannister. What if Robb had escaped The Twins?

Tyrion would have been released and Tywin would have lived a lot longer. Relations with the lannisters and the Dornish would not have improved much but Oberyn and Doran cooperated and were playing the long game. As Tyrion would not be on the loose he couldn't tell YGriff to head to Westeros too soon and Varys would be slower to move against the lannister leadership.

What if; Donal Noye did not die in the defence of the gate and was elected LC of the NW?

edit: huh, ninjad.

Well, one phase of the Martells plan works and there is probably a war between Martell ad Lannister. What if Robb had escaped The Twins?

The northmen become galvanized in the their cause against the Freys and Boltons, especially Manderly.

What if . . . Robb executed Jaime Lannister?

Robb may have won but either way, Cat would be devastated...

What if Robb had kepts his vows, ignored Jeyne, and married a Frey (presumably Roslin)? Even better, what if Robb hadn't let Theon go to the Iron Islands? What if Rhaenys had kicked Amory Lorch out a window?

What if; Donal Noye did not die in the defence of the gate and was elected LC of the NW?

edit: huh, ninjad.

Similar events I would think. Dolan was a mentor to Jon so he probably would have acted in a similar fashion.

What if . . . Ned told Robert about his kids on his death bed

Robert would have ordered Cersei and Jaime to be executed straight away. Renly would have made his move to get Robert married to Margaery. And maybe he'd order the children to be killed, as he didn't care about the Targ children.

What would have happened if the KG won at the ToJ?

What if Edmure had not botched Robb's plans?

Tywin and Mace would have probably come up on Stannis as he was assaulting the Red Keep (Edmure only delayed Tywin for two days before he got the message from the Tyrells). So Cersei and Joff might have been slain and it would be a while before the lannisters-Tyrells found Tommen in Rosby.

What if rhaegar targaryen won on the trident and killed Robert in single combat?

Somebody else (Lyn Corbray maybe?) would have killed Rhaegar, the rebels would still have won, and Stannis would have become king.

What if Kevan was the eldest brother?

Archived