Borgia vs. The Borgias

wolverine

Which is better? Thinking about watching one now that I see both are on Netflix. I watched a bit of an episode from Borgia and John Doman's sometimes accent was a little off putting. It seems strange that there are two series about the same thing.

EDIT: Tried to do a site search but could find nothing similar to this topic.

The Borgias is on Netflix now? I'll watch it and find out.

I've watched all the episodes of Borgia and thought it was ok, but it seems they tend to ham it up to near M. Bison levels a lot, and I still have trouble thinking of Major Rawls as Rodrigo Borgia.

I haven't watched the former, but I gave up on The Borgias about halfway through season 3. I realized I just didn't care, and it's not like I stopped caring, I haven't cared all along and it was just something I felt I should be watching so I did.

The Borgais >>>>>>>>> Borgia.

Borgia has such a mishmash of accents and acting abilities...it's just really hard to listen to Rodrigo blathering on in an inelegant American accent amid a dozen other accents around him. And too, the plotting is just so meandering and uneven. The one redeeming thing is the fellow playing Cesare, but I dislike everyone else, and I'd still pick Arnaud over him.

I connected more emotionally with The Borgias last season (which was really amazing). I still really like it this season but the character arcs aren't quite as interesting.

I watched all of Borgias on Netflix because it was available to stream.

It took me awhile to get past Dorman's very modern American accent, but after a few episodes, I was caught up in the story enough that it didn't bother me. By the middle of the season, I was hooked and loved the finale. I was very glad to see that season two was in production (which is now up on streaming).

ETA: One thing about the accents on the show: if you think about it, the cardinals came from all over Europe, which matches the variety on the show. And Rodrigo was seen as an upstart from Spain. So, in a sense, our reaction to his vulgar accent matches what the others thought of him too. :)

I watched the first couple episodes of Borgias late Saturday night and it has pulled me in. I think I will keep watching although I cringe nearly every time Dorman speaks.

EDIT: Sorry to those that I gave the false impression of THE Borgias being able to stream on Netflix.

And it sounds like Jordan's floating a two-hour wrap-up movie seems to have gone nowhere, since he's now talking of the finale as a good conclusion. Shame, the show really grew on me. Holliday Granger is ridiculously gorgeous, the production values are surprisingly high (imagine, a show in which main characters might got through as many as a dozen costumes in a season!), Jeremy Irons is obviously enjoying himself, the convolutions of the current political storyline are quite good, and François Arnaud is leaps and bounds better than he was in the first season.

Is the story at a place historically where it makes sense to stop?

This has been on my list to watch for awhile, but if it ends without a real ending, I'll forego it...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm not familiar with Borgias, but I really enjoyed season 1 of Borgia

Watched both seasons and I am hooked. I see there is a third season being made right now (I am talking about Borgia, not The Borgias).

• 4 months later...

I'm trying to give Borgia a go at the moment but it's kinda hard after falling badly for The Borgias. As so many before me wrote I'm disturbed by one particular accent/cast decission. For me it's not the Pope though but Lucrezia! I feel like I should support her because she's German as me but I find it absolutely unbearable listening to her. She stumbles over her lines and overacts so much I want to close my eyes and ears whenever she's on screen. It's ridiculous after having watched wonderfully and perfect Holliday Grainger sharing hot on- screen chemistry with an equally stunning Cesare. And now this! Though I can't say that I dislike "Borgia" Cesare. It's an complete other approach on the character but one I find interessting. So yeah... after having watched a few episodes of Borgia, The Borgia wins hands down for me.

Archived