Who is Coldhands?

We know Coldhands was once a Black Brother, and we know he is now undead. However we don't know much more about him. Any speculation on where he fits in this world in the future? For all we know he will end up a forgotten plot device, however George rarely does that to us. So any theories on who he is?

My personal opinion is that Coldhands will eventually be revealed as the late Benjen Stark, mostly because I figure the Starks natural warging ability might make a dead Benjen a perfect vessel to be used by someone like Bloodraven to control when he needs a human for something. Pure speculation I know, but I have always had a feeling Benjen would show up in some form by the end of the series, and this is first time since ACoK where GRRM has given me hope that I was right. Now going against this theory is, you'd think Bran would recognize his own uncle even with a big scarf over his face, but you never know. Benjen has probably been at the Wall all of Bran's life with very few chances to visit, so Bran may barely know the man.

I hope he is Bran the builder or the first AA (or both if they are the same person).

Bran the Builder: Built the Wall and used his enemy magic to guard it forever

AA: Defeated the WW and used his enemy magic to guard the realm forever in a lonely existance to atone for his wife's murder.

The COTF say that Coldhands 'died long ago' (not exact quote), so if THEY'RE saying he died long ago, and Three Eyed crow isn't old to them....

Also, if Benjen was Coldhands, why wouldn't he just reveal his identity to Bran to gain his trust quicker?

It's possible Coldhands is just an anonymous black brother who Bloodraven freed from the Others control. While the various theories about him are really enticing (I'd like it best if he was the Night's King), there's really no evidence anywhere for any of them, expect that he has to have died a a while back.

Also, if Benjen was Coldhands, why wouldn't he just reveal his identity to Bran to gain his trust quicker?

It's possible Coldhands is just an anonymous black brother who Bloodraven freed from the Others control. While the various theories about him are really enticing (I'd like it best if he was the Night's King), there's really no evidence anywhere for any of them, expect that he has to have died a a while back.

ColdHand (and the HM btw) wont be just some random characters since GRRM wont let slip by an occasion to link an interesting background to them.

ColdHand (and the HM btw) wont be just some random characters since GRRM wont let slip by an occasion to link an interesting background to them.

He could still let part of the guy's history out bit by bit to tease how interesting he is, but again, we have literally no proof of any possible identity for him, expect that he is very old.

Also, not to divert the thread, but if by "HM" you mean the Hooded Man in Winterfell, then that is probably Theon's hallucination, and he killed the Little Walder himself and repressed the memory.

The COTF say that Coldhands 'died long ago' (not exact quote), so if THEY'RE saying he died long ago, and Three Eyed crow isn't old to them....

Watch out, the Benjen Stark believers are very devout. Personally, I think he is a former nightwatchmen with a thing for country music who heard Ser Conway of House Twitty's "I want a man with a cold hand", cheesy I know, lol, do be careful though.

Archived