[BOOK SPOILERS] Nitpick without repercussion?

teemo

Getting the thread ready.

[so nervous!]

General rules:

Thread is for people to be able to vent freely about any issue big or small, so please don't attack posters for their opinions. It's somewhat of a safe haven.

It's against board rules to use derogatory terms regarding actors, D&D, etc. or threatening bodily harm.

I wish the musicians sucked. And I'm kind of confused because I thought they were planning on taking Cat as a hostage, but then she went mad. She didn't look mad in the show. They realllllyyy should have done the face clawing.

But yeah, I am overall very pleased with it. Even Talisa didn't get in the way too much and at least she's gone now.

The scenes right outside the Twins weren't hectic enough. There was no sense of urgency from Arya, so when the Hound knocked her out it was just awkward. I would have liked to have seen chaos, with her running towards the doors and then getting knocked out.

The Red wedding itself, it didn't seem... Epic enough I guess? Maybe it was scored badly, but something was just missing. The scene between Rob and Cat as he gets killed seemed canned to me. I think Michelle Fairley dropped the ball on the anguish of that scene. Everything seemed a few beats too late. Her scream, both throat cuttings, etc.

I kinda wish Roose's "The Lannisters send their regards" was spoken a bit slower (it also would've been great had there been a couple seconds of silence , as he looked Robb in the eye, before saying anything). That would've made the stabbing carry more of an impact.

The Rains of Castamere too I wish was more prominent.

Its really hard for me to nitpick. The emotions felt during this episode overrode any problems I might have had.

But if I had to pick one, it would be along the lines of what Lord Bored said. I wish they emphasized Roose more when he stabbed Robb. It was such a hit-and-run and I think that has less impact.

Dany being in the episode.

No really. While it set things up for her, Dany being in this episode was really strange considering this was the Stark Show. Also the way Yunkai was sacked was more like Meereen so now im all confused.

Robb not having a will really burns my bacon but alas...earwax.

Minor one, Cat not clawing her face. Her scream was wonderful and horrifying, but no clawing. Oh well. The scene had enough impact but that would have been the cherry on top of the Slaughter Sundae.

I wish they emphasized Roose more when he stabbed Robb. It was such a hit-and-run and I think that has less impact.

I have to admit that I started laughing when Roose's drive-by stabbing occurred. It seemed so anticlimactic. Other nitpicks are pretty of minor. Ygritte not shooting Jon (meh), no mention of Robb's will (can be worked around I suppose), and "The Lannisters" instead of "Jaimie Lannister" sounded kind of dumb, but it has no impact on the story.

Why doesn't Black Fish have a black fish on his cloak. His cloak is black but the fish is silver, he's not in the nights watch, and where was this tree he went to piss on? I hope he at least makes it back to Riverrun to have his interaction with Jamie later. Cat killing the wife and Frey not caring was predictable, should have been a son. I don't care if Talisa is dead, Jenye Westerling is still carrying Robbs baby. And what is Rickon going to do at Last Harth, especially once Whore's bane goes to Winterfell? And why is Arrya swearing to stab the Hound in the eye, I hope she doesn't but if she does not then she's a liar...Oh and the episode was great, just Nitpicking...

The pacing seemed a bit too slow for me. Everything seemed a bit start-stop, while I imagined the entire scene to be extremely climactic. Think Ned's house guard getting killed in S1 climactic. Also Robb's death felt a little flat. I expected it to be more cinematic as we see a full shot of Roose stabbing Robb.

But otherwise, I really liked it.

Great episode. I was expecting bad music and drums before the 'Rains of Castamere,' and I thought it would be a bit more chaotic. But my mind just imagined the book scene a bit differently than others. Overall it was splendid enough to do the scene justice.

The absence of Greatjon Umber. Flipping over a table to protect Robb, smacking a man with a piece of meat, and taking on 8 opponents - all while drunk . . .

Would've been great to see it in the show.

Only thing that actually pissed me off was Grey Wind not getting an epic death, It would of been a pretty cool change if they would of had Arya release him imo,

I felt it for a few seconds until the fuckin Freys pulled up

- Didn't like that they didn't do the "Ned loved my hair line"

- Jon not being shot

- No Umbers but I already knew that

But overall the episode was still a 10 don't care what anyone says

I'm not as annoyed by the handling of Bolton stabbing Robb as others, but I would've liked a little more time, even if its just a shot of him walking up behind him. I don't know, I'm trying to picture the shot and how to extend the dialogue enough without it sounding awkward for it to happen. But its just a tiny nitpick.

Regarding "Ned loves my hair":

1) Its a thought in Cats head, so I don't even know how some of you consider it a line

2) Where does it fit in in the context of the scene without seeming out of nowhere?

All the gratuitous throat slashing...it was like watching an old Friday the 13th. The over the top gore really cheapened it, they should have only had one terrible gory moment and been more tasteful with the rest, it would have had more impact. But again, this is just the way these guys run the show--beat you over the head with all the great stuff Martin did in his books. He should have been more involved with the writing and direction of this episode, or maybe he was--but either way, how many throat slashes per minute can there be without it becoming comical? Once that chick got stabbed in the baby I started laughing, which is the complete opposite of my reaction when I read that chapter all those years ago.

Can I say the book is a billion times better?

I'm not as annoyed by the handling of Bolton stabbing Robb as others, but I would've liked a little more time, even if its just a shot of him walking up behind him. I don't know, I'm trying to picture the shot and how to extend the dialogue enough without it sounding awkward for it to happen. But its just a tiny nitpick.

Regarding "Ned loves my hair":

1) Its a thought in Cats head, so I don't even know how some of you consider it a line

2) Where does it fit in in the context of the scene without seeming out of nowhere?

Good point. It would fit into the scene though, if she had been on her hands and knees lets say weeping after Robb got stabbed, fuck boy Frey over there comes up pulls her by her hair and she just sort of says it to herself.

But now that I read it it just sounds stupid, like why the fuck would she care about her hair when her son was just killed their men slaughtered all hope lost and you are about to die too

The Tarantino-esque violence sort of made me lol. Sometimes it's hard to remember that the budget is very limited for a ten hour seasonal film.

Other than that, I've been sort of bothered by what I'm starting to consider the Chekov's letters. I was so sure that Talisa's letter writing would have some sort of payoff. It may, in the future, but as of now with her dead and gone, it's sort of this gaping hole.

Archived