[BOOK SPOILERS] Nitpick without repercussion?

teemo

What was the point of casting Wendel if he did nothing and didn't have a single line. I wouldn't have even noticed the Merman sigil and know who he was if WiC didn't announce his casting last year during filming. Could have used him as an opportunity to at least set up the later story lines with Davos while also possibly replacing the other loyal bannerman such as Small Jon but nope few frames in the episode and don't even see him go down.

Wendel was there?

I, for one, don't understand the criticism about Arya not freeing Grey Wind. It added a lot to the sense of dread. Earlier, we saw Summer and Shaggydog kill off half a dozen wildlings and, then, GW died like his own master: trapped and with bows. As opposed to the cliché big wolf going down while taking 10 men with him in the books. Much better. It saved CGI budget and seeing the wolf's eyes close down and his last breath after not seeing him in the cage was a great touch.

Um, he didn't take down ten men. He killed four wolfhounds and tore off a man's arm.

Yeah, I kept expecting to see the rigged tents. That was really memorable to me.

Two nitpicks:

1. We see Jorah, Grey Worm, and Daario surrounded by guards. At this point, you figure they must have raised the alarm. Then we see the 3 back in Dany's tent telling her the city is hers. That must mean her army went through the gates so how would she not know? Or are we supposed to believe the city surrendered to 3 men? OTOH good setup for Dany falling for Daario: he gave her the city.

2. I thought Arya should have looked a bit more panicked/angry when she ran toward the castle - more like in the books. Minor detail really.

Also, not really a nitpick, but is the Blackfish supposed to have gotten away or not? Don't see how he could have.

I, for one, don't understand the criticism about Arya not freeing Grey Wind. It added a lot to the sense of dread. Earlier, we saw Summer and Shaggydog kill off half a dozen wildlings and, then, GW died like his own master: trapped and with bows. As opposed to the cliché big wolf going down while taking 10 men with him in the books. Much better. It saved CGI budget and seeing the wolf's eyes close down and his last breath after not seeing him in the cage was a great touch.

Grey Wind should have been a bit larger and/or scarier-looking. He looked like a rather slender wolf; while Summer and Shaggydog gave impressions of being bigger and stronger and having heavier coats. Of course, I could have sworn that Grey Wind was played in this episode by a real wolf; and they have fairly slender legs and skulls and muzzles (compared to, say, an Alaskan Malamute). Still broke my heart when they shot him to death, more than the deaths of Robb and especially Talisa.

And what on earth was TV-Robb thinking, bringing the woman for whom he broke faith with the Freys to a Frey-Tully wedding? Is he arrogant or just stupid? Did he give a reason last episode that I just forgot?

The upside of the TV Red Wedding - no more Talisa.

And what on earth was TV-Robb thinking, bringing the woman for whom he broke faith with the Freys to a Frey-Tully wedding? Is he arrogant or just stupid? Did he give a reason last episode that I just forgot?

The upside of the TV Red Wedding - no more Talisa.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that. And Robb was still acting a bit douchey up until the end. Fondling and kissing his wife right in front of Walder Frey.

The only nitpick I have is the lack of "fighting back" from Robb's bannermen but I can understand why it happened the way it did, they've not created the characters and background story for any of the major players trying to defend their King that exist in the books.

That crossed my mind also. Storywise I think that Talisa dying with Robb gives better closure than her surviving and getting future storylines. But bringing his pregnant wife to the familiy he scorned makes him look stupid and disrespectful. They should have mentioned that they feel safe because of the guest right or something.

I, for one, don't understand the criticism about Arya not freeing Grey Wind.

I thought she was going to go free him too.

No burning tents. That's the picture that is engraved in my mind from the books.

I thought they were going to show that too, especially when we saw the wrestling match earlier. Not sure why they only showed one table of northerners getting backstabbed.

I loved most things in this episode. The one thing I'm confused on is Cat the only one who realized it was the 'Rains of Castamere' playing? I mean there was still quite a number of people in there and I don't think Robb was drunk. Surely its a bit unusual to have the song of the Lannisters playing at a festival regarding Stark alliances and celebration? I know the song is popular in Westeros but surely it would be totally out of place in this wedding (even though if I recall its played many times at the Purple Wedding). It just seems a bit strange how only Cat was able to realize the song playing, Roose and Walder probably realized but they were expecting it.

GW looked to me about the same size as GW scene with Jaime last season.

I thought they were going to show that too, especially when we saw the wrestling match earlier. Not sure why they only showed one table of northerners getting backstabbed.

Next week. As for no fight-back from either Robb or direct bannermen, isn't it realistic given how shocked they were at the guest right being broken. Just have a look at when Robb says ''Mother'', it as if he is saying ''It's okay, let go now...''

Overall, I loved the episode... but:

1. I guess the Greatjohn has just disappeared from the show ... Did I miss his demise? Because he's assumed to be captive at the Twins in the books.

2. Bran's "oh by the way, while I was a wolf I saw Jon" was silly, and poorly written. ... In my opinion, it should have been far more dramatic, and all that he cared about from the start of that scene. Not explaining his "worging."

I just wish, that instead of spending money in each episode to see 100 unsullied just standing there, that they could have gotten a couple of northern bannerman to stand out, at least this season. They started doing it when Robb called his banners, and then nothing in season 2-3 except Roose and Karstark.

I was hit hard by the way Dacey died, Flint too. The umbers would have put on a good show if they added them to the wedding. Greatjon stood out plenty in only 3-4 scenes, it wouldn't have been hard to get other bannermen in the show.

Archived