[BOOK SPOILERS] Nitpick without repercussion?

teemo

Sp

Speaking of which... and I never thought I'd end up using Spartacus as a measuring stick to hold GoT up against... the massacre at the end of Blood On the Sand was pretty much how I envisioned RW in terms of gore. The floor almost flowing with blood from fallen Starks, limbs being hacked, really putting the 'Red' in 'Red Wedding'.

But I suppose the relatively understated way they actually filmed it was more in keeping with the rest of the show. Only the slighest of nitpicks. I think the wince-inducing death of Talisa and the throat-cutting (not to mention Richard Madden's awful, deathly utterance of '...mother') sold me in the violence stakes.

Something something.

it should have been bloodier tbh, even if just a little more so. it was pretty tame for a massacre. and i don't think it would have been gratuitous either. massacres tend to be super gory.

Oh yeah I forgot. I think episode 9 confirmed that there will be no Coldhands in the show, which is some bullshit. Coldhands is a BAMF, and the mystery of his identity is one of the more fun and persistent mysteries of the series.

Samwell's explanation of how the Black Gate works was pretty lame compared to Coldhands taking them there because he's so goddamn cool on his Giant M'er F'ing ELK!!

DAMN NO COLDHANDS!

*bolton's whole demeanor was off this episode and I usually like him. he smiles too much and him running away from cat was

weird. i admit, his smile is creepy, but did he ever smile before this episode? his eyes were great though. he has very scary eyes. he doesn't need a creepy smile.

I thought he was running to get his knife/sword. He could hide mail under his clothes, but not a weapon. Am I wrong?

Oh, I was really annoyed about how the YgrittexJon situation played out

How she didn't attack him when he was running away but instead was all lovesick

they made Jon look like an asshole really, for just leaving her there and she was the victim

.....but either way, how many throat slashes per minute can there be without it becoming comical? Once that chick got stabbed in the baby I started laughing, which is the complete opposite of my reaction when I read that chapter all those years ago.

Can I say the book is a billion times better?

:agree:

*ned and cat did have the bedding at their wedding

Can you see why they changed it? Why it works with their canon and, more importantly, with the entire scene?

*why are the frey musicians so talented

The song had to be recognizable to the audience. It's not like in the books where we are told what they are playing. On the show, we have to be able to hear what they are playing.

*bolton's whole demeanor was off this episode and I usually like him. he smiles too much and him running away from cat was

weird. i admit, his smile is creepy, but did he ever smile before this episode? his eyes were great though. he has very scary eyes. he doesn't need a creepy smile.

His demeanor was off because he was doing something off. It would have been weird if they didn't show that Roose had turned cloak. Also, he wasn't running from Cat. He was running from the volley of arrows.

*I would have preferred to have seen Cat fall on the ground and start screaming and going mad than the catatonic state. She didn't need to claw her face or talk about her hair, but wasn't the whole point of the Freys killing her because she was going mad? Otherwise, she would have been a hostage. Her acting is brilliant and she could have easily pulled that off.

The Freys killing her in the book was like an afterthought. Her being killed was also an afterthought on the show. Also, all focus was on Cat. The whole room disappeared, basically, and we are just watching how Cat has gone so mad that she's pretty much dead already. I think it was implied that those around her continued to react and such while she was going mad.

*madden's acting was rather unimpressive, especially compared to fairley. the look on his face while he looked at Talisa didn't look like shot or horror, more like apathy.

*Cat having to stop Robb after Walder makes those remarks...what are you going to, Robb? Go punch him in the face and piss him off again?

Got the impression he was just going to say, "Ok, let's move along Lord Walder".

*it literally seemed like none of the northerners were fighting back at all. I get they're drunk, but the show really didn't emphasize just how drunk they were and even though they were drunk in the book they fought back. They looked like a bunch of cowards.

They were getting shot with arrows. Blindsided! You can't fight an arrow. You crawl under the table when that happens. I assume at least some survived. But we'll see.

*BF's departure was dumb. He has to go take a piss? Really? And who exactly is watching Riverrun?

I thought his departure was hilarious. It was a good way to keep him alive for the future. Sometimes you just have to piss and it's not like it's normal for a wedding to turn into bloodshed. Castellan is probably watching Riverrun, just like a castellan was watching Winterfell, Casterly Rock, Storm's End, etc.

*oh, and Talisa being stabbed like that looked like a prison shower shanking or something. over the top, much?

Ha! I had a moment where I was like, "What is this? Oz?"

You should watch Spartacus

The finale for Spartacus didn´t do much for me. But then again, I feel I´m much more connected to the books than to any of the Spartacus seasones/series.

I did like Spartacus though and it was good to see Manu Bennett in The Arrow again.

I don;t know man. The episode just thunderstruck me, even though I knew what was coming. I;m still depressed, hours after watching it.

Just like I didn't feel anything reading about the RW, I didn't feel anything seeing the RW except for the brutality of stabbing Jeyne. I did not like watching that at all. Other than that, meh. If they did what they were supposed to then I don't think anyone, not even me, could watch and not be affected.

(copied from the general discussion thread, hope it fits here also)

From where I stand, the public reaction to Red Wedding doesn’t seem to be near the reaction to Ned’s death. Now, I don’t have “twitter” nor “facebook” account, so I might be wrong and those two may be going crazy at this very moment. Suffice to say, my overview of the rest of the internet is also very limited. But, the reaction in general does seem pretty quiet, like nothing extraordinary happened. On boards I checked, some posters do claim they're done with the show, but that looks like the only real clue that RW just happened on screens. And some of the first reviews of the episode (Allan Sepinwal’s, for example), only strengthened the impression that HBO’s RW is not the ground-shaking event many expected, certainly not on the level of Ned’s beheading.

Did anybody get a different, or maybe opposite impression?

trust me brah, people have gone insane over it. i have been on a few general forums and people cannot stop posting about GoT and the GoT related threads are moving at an insane pace. twitter was full of people angry and threatening to cancel their HBO subscriptions, and there were several facebook statuses as well.

i feel as if the outrage is even more because more people watch it now

I made a long post and the forum crashed when I tried to post it. I'm not doing it again.

I'll just say I expected a little more from the Red Wedding since D+D supposedly said it made them want to do the series; something on the budget of the Battle of the Blackwater.

Those complaining about Roose running out after the slap...he knew the crossbowmen were about to start...would you stay there?

Just to clear that up. :P

If I was Roose Bolton... yeah I think I would just sit there impassively. They're crossbows firing from like 10-20 feet, doubt they'd miss. Or he could of just walked calmly to the side no one new what Cat was freaking out about because they were paying attention to Frey. It's a tv show they could of thought of some sort of staging that didn't look silly and fit with his character.

They can't remove Cold Hands.

Changing Robb's last words to Mommy is one thing, but they can't really take out Cold Hands can they?

Well they could, what else does he do apart from taking Sam and Gilly to the wall and Bran and co to the children of the forest. From what I've read he isn't a big part of the story.

It just shows that you know very little of fighting.

Fighting in formation is very different than fighting alone.

Most of the people forget that a spear is also a staff.

Additionally he should have taken much shorter spear (like Yari if we are using japanese terms)

I'm well aware of historical martial arts and fighting. A decent bit more than you, I'd be willing to bet, seeing as how I actively study and practice them.

I am also aware that fighting in formation is different from fighting alone. That's precisely my point. He is some slave soldier trained to do nothing but fight in a formation, yet he was fighting as if he had been trained to fight alone. The other Unsullied fought the way they should; organized, systematic, teamwork-oriented, and not frilly or flashy. Then we have Grey Worm fighting in a completely different way, in a way that is simply wrong for a soldier trained the way he was.

I did not forget that a spear is also a staff. And the Japanese Yari was not particularly short. Not any shorter than any other spear.

and no, twirling and/or spinning your weapon around in your hand, spinning, jumping, etc. are all very stupid things to do in combat. It's hollywood flashiness.

I'm well aware of historical martial arts and fighting. A decent bit more than you, I'd be willing to bet, seeing as how I actively study and practice them.

Being a green belt in karate doesn't make you and expert lol

I hope this post goes through, the site has been very difficult today....but anyway...I've read a couple interviews w/the cast and it sounds like Michelle Fairley is NOT coming back...so that would mean no Lady Stoneheart.

I know GOT likes to play games, but she sounded pretty honest, said she finally cut her hair, that would be a shame...no more Michelle who is a great actress and it would also probably mean that nothing is going to happen in the future with Lady Stoneheart except that either Jamie or Brienne will probably kill her for good, and that will suck.

It's most likely a red herring since the Lady Stoneheart storyline is supposed to be quite a big secret. I take everything with a grain of salt these days, even with Matt Smith announcing he's leaving Doctor Who, but that's another topic.

Archived