[BOOK SPOILERS] Nitpick without repercussion?

teemo

Exactly. He is a part of Robb. The poor thing tried to warn him. He was tearing at people,frantic to get to Robb. It was gutwrenching in the book.

But when Robb, to appease the Freys, left out Grey WInd, a bit dramatic, but that got me too. Because the damn wolf was howling, like trying to tell him not to do that and Robb, for the first time, disregarded his direwolf's "advice."

It was Grey Wind's you'll have to kill me to keep me from Robb attitude, that was devastating, in the book.

As with many others here, I didn't like that Grey Wind's death was so meek. The direwolves haven't been shown enough. But I also didn't like that Grey Wind bounded cheerily towards the Twins, either, before the wedding. It gave a bigger sense of foreboding when he was really hard to manage and had to be locked up. Within the show, the audience is entitled to ask, "Why the hell did Robb let his direwolf get locked into a tiny box?!" Why not in a yard, somewhere?

Similarly, Grey Wind's death was supposed to be a complete rampage, showing that Robb wins every battle but not the war. Grey Wind kills those who try to kill him but is eventually overwhelmed with betrayal, just as Robb is.

Also, Clegane's "rescue" of Arya is almost comical. He just strolls in and no one says a thing. He is a huge man with a burnt face and a fierce-some reputation. He is meant to sieze Arya and then basically cut two blokes in half who try to murder the pair of them. There's no way people wouldn't bat an eye-lid at a man six and a half feet tall with such distinctive scars.

Remind me how exactly Grey Wind gets loose in the book exactly? He's chained up, as I recall, but I haven't read that chapter in years because it just brings back bad memories.

But it seems to me if you chained up a known lethal beast it would make sense to just shoot it while it's locked up and avoid doing something stupid like opening the door to shoot him so he can tear you apart first.

Remind me how exactly Grey Wind gets loose in the book exactly? He's chained up, as I recall, but I haven't read that chapter in years because it just brings back bad memories.

But it seems to me if you chained up a known lethal beast it would make sense to just shoot it while it's locked up and avoid doing something stupid like opening the door to shoot him so he can tear you apart first.

Jeyne's brother Ryanld untied him before jumping into the river (after being shot with arrows). So he took out hounds and a couple men. But still more than the pathetic caged in way they had him in the show. He should have taken out some people before being killed

I wouldn't say she's 'terrible' per say either. I would definitely say she's bad though. I liked the little Eddard scene even though it was cheesy because, again, I liked the other character, Madden's reaction, than Oona. And I think, like you said, the blandness is what made me never like her. She just always looks so blank and emotionless in almost every scene and that irritates me. As someone who wants to act, and I see good actors in classes/other shows/great actors in this show, and then I see her I'm just like ugh get off the screen! The way she acted as being dead and Robb held her, I'm sorry but that taught me how NOT to act when playing dead lol. Probably mean but eh, I can't help that her acting irritates the heck out of me.

Love your analysis. Made me laugh a lot. Yeah, Talisa is definitely in my list of 5 worst GoT performances. Don't know anything about TV or film industry but don't understand why people blame writers and directors for bad acting performances. I am sure it plays a significant role but

GoT writing is pretty solid and it is hard to imagine that the directors are asking for uninspiring bland performances.

I think Viserys or Joffrey are great examples of how acting can really elevate a character. They are both very flat and one-dimensional characters and quite difficult to portray because IMO it is easy to slide into a caricature, yet the actors gave make them rich, interesting and likeable (or at least enjoyable to watch). Tywin is another example but Charles Dance is of another league entirely and it is not fair to compare other actors to him.

Good luck with the acting. You should definitely pursue it. Especially know that you know how not to look when stabbed in the belly during a wedding.

I wonder what you think of Natalie Dormer's performance. I can't really decide on her. Her performance always feels staged to me and I don't know if it is no purpose (i.e. Margaery is always acting in the presence of others) or if Dormer is just naturally overacting.

Jeyne's brother Ryanld untied him before jumping into the river (after being shot with arrows). So he took out hounds and a couple men. But still more than the pathetic caged in way they had him in the show. He should have taken out some people before being killed

Oh...They definitely could've had Arya do it then. I guess it was a budget thing?

well I did not like how Grey wind seemed so small in comparison to Summer and Shaggydog

My other nitpick was Jorah , Greyworm and Daario gong 3 against who-knows-how-many and coming out victorious.

I mean compare it to Tower of Joy scene and it makes Dayne , Hightower and the other guy really weak.

Love your analysis. Made me laugh a lot. Yeah, Talisa is definitely in my list of 5 worst GoT performances. Don't know anything about TV or film industry but don't understand why people blame writers and directors for bad acting performances. I am sure it plays a significant role but

GoT writing is pretty solid and it is hard to imagine that the directors are asking for uninspiring bland performances.

I think Viserys or Joffrey are great examples of how acting can really elevate a character. They are both very flat and one-dimensional characters and quite difficult to portray because IMO it is easy to slide into a caricature, yet the actors gave make them rich, interesting and likeable (or at least enjoyable to watch). Tywin is another example but Charles Dance is of another league entirely and it is not fair to compare other actors to him.

Good luck with the acting. You should definitely pursue it. Especially know that you know how not to look when stabbed in the belly during a wedding.

I wonder what you think of Natalie Dormer's performance. I can't really decide on her. Her performance always feels staged to me and I don't know if it is no purpose (i.e. Margaery is always acting in the presence of others) or if Dormer is just naturally overacting.

Lol I don't know if your being sarcastic or not, but thanks anyway. I just know I'd want to look more realistic if I'm a dead character, no matter if they're stabbed in the stomach or not.

I'm not going to pretend to know much about the writing side of the industry but I will say one thing. I'm sure bad writing can have a part to play in how an actor gives a performance, as well as the way the directors direct, but when we have other characters like Sansa and Cat who are shit on all the time and they're still able to give decent/okay performances on screen and then I see Talisa I'm like.. Okay that has to be primarily because if the actress. I know she has some terrible writing but IMO the actress never did anything to make the character likeable. And as you said Joffrey and Viserys were great. Even though I don't like the characters, they're both bat shit crazy, but I like the way the actors portray them and its fun watching them on screen.

Hmm Natalie is a tough one for me. I like watching her primarily because I like the actress, but I'm not sure so much if I like the character. It reminds me so much of her character Anne from Tudors. I think maybe part of it might be that she's over acting but at the same time I feel like the way she plays the character is that she's using pretty much everyone which makes me feel like that's why the character comes off feeling staged. Like the scene with her and the children, that definitely felt staged to me but I'm sure the character was pretending to be all kind and sweet rather than Natalie overacting in that scene.

I'm only familiar w/Natalie from the Tudors, but she didn't overact at all in that, despite being given a ton of super emotional stuff, so I'm inclined to agree that the "stagey" effect is on purpose. I didn't love her as a casting choice, but she has grown on me significantly.

My other nitpick was Jorah , Greyworm and Daario gong 3 against who-knows-how-many and coming out victorious.

I mean compare it to Tower of Joy scene and it makes Dayne , Hightower and the other guy really weak.

Hightower, Dayne, and Whent weren't fighting undisciplined slave soldiers (Think Gold Cloaks but worse and not paid), they fought 7 relatively seasoned men on horeseback after spending God knows how long in the middle of nowhere desert. As unlikely as Jorah, Grey Worm, and Daario's victory is from a sheer numbers perspective, it's not exactly the same thing, or really even close. When I saw the scene unfolding I thought to myself...Ok so they're going to fight 20 guys?? Well this will be a comical holywood fight and just sat back and watched the very unrealistic but highly entertaining and artsy fight, so I got to enjoy it. Iain Glenn fighting is awesome!

Biggest nitpick is Jorah didn't behead anyone or get a cool kill.

But why do some of you think Greywind killed Freys at the RW? He ripped one arm off and killed a few dogs. His death in the show strikes more chords because it represents the futility of the situation Robb & Co. are in.

Representation of Robb? He's trapped with no way to reciprocate the violence being extracted on him.

Hightower, Dayne, and Whent weren't fighting undisciplined slave soldiers (Think Gold Cloaks but worse and not paid), they fought 7 relatively seasoned men on horeseback after spending God knows how long in the middle of nowhere desert. As unlikely as Jorah, Grey Worm, and Daario's victory is from a sheer numbers perspective, it's not exactly the same thing, or really even close. When I saw the scene unfolding I thought to myself...Ok so they're going to fight 20 guys?? Well this will be a comical holywood fight and just sat back and watched the very unrealistic but highly entertaining and artsy fight, so I got to enjoy it. Iain Glenn fighting is awesome!

and they all died

Oh...They definitely could've had Arya do it then. I guess it was a budget thing?

Definitely, the opportunity was right there. Just another reason they should've dedicated the whole episode to the Starks. Could've used some of the money that paid for all that guard armor in Yunkai on a dignified death for Greywind.

Archived