[BOOK SPOILERS] Nitpick without repercussion?

teemo

from having read the books - small disappointment.

A couple of main bits that were missing:

Greatjon Umber - not being present - he tries to rescue Robb (viewers would have recognised him from series 1)

The Tents : in the book these are set alight with most of the North's soldiers inside (now told this is in next weeks episode)

also missed the moment where Catelyn clawed her face as she died.

Thought these could have been added in tbh ....

from having read the books - small disappointment.

A couple of main bits that were missing:

Greatjon Umber - not being present - he tries to rescue Robb (viewers would have recognised him from series 1)

The Tents : in the book these are set alight with most of the North's soldiers inside (now told this is in next weeks episode)

also missed the moment where Catelyn clawed her face as she died.

Thought these could have been added in tbh ....

Greatjon is no longer part of the cast and I believe that they will show a little more of the fighting outside the castle in the last episode. As for Cat, I really do not know which version would work better on TV.

Since I commented on this thread, I must share my nitpick side, which for this episode refers to: 1) the lack of significant impact of the conquest of Yunkai; 2) the cliché of having 3 guys defeating a whole army, and 3) Catelyn's scream didn't feel good, initially. However, after the third view, I think that scream is not that bad.

I have a nitpick.

Why did Roose Bolton run away?

After Roose looks at Cat and Cat rolls up his sleeve, she sees the steel and slaps him in the face.

And Roose... runs away. He runs away like a little girl. He is carted off by another Frey (I think) and that's when we see yet another Frey pull out a dagger and kill Talisa.

Why did he run away? Well, I know why he ran away practically - if he stays next to Cat she will either try to kill her or she will try to kill him and that's not Roose's role here. But watching Roose Bolton flee because he got slapped? COME ON!

The wild violence that was about to ensue, including crossbow bolts, kind of made that area a dangerous place to be. I mean, in the book, Catelyn was hit by a bolt by accident -- she wasn't an intended target. While the show seems to have taken a different approach -- there's no sign she was ever intended to be taken captive -- but the point remains

So his getting out of the way makes sense, I suppose, if he (for whatever reason) doesn't intend to take an active part in the massacre.

The wild violence that was about to ensue, including crossbow bolts, kind of made that area a dangerous place to be. I mean, in the book, Catelyn was hit by a bolt by accident -- she wasn't an intended target. While the show seems to have taken a different approach -- there's no sign she was ever intended to be taken captive -- but the point remains

So his getting out of the way makes sense, I suppose, if he (for whatever reason) doesn't intend to take an active part in the massacre.

Still it would have been better had he casually strode out of the hall, deflecting a crossbow bolt at Robb with a swish of his fabulous pink cloak. :hat:

That makes sense. Though... then why run stage right instead of stage left (behind Robb and Talia, where the majority of bolts will be headed?

Then again, even for a nitpick thread... that's pretty nitpicky of me...

I realized that Book RW and Show RW have about the same relation as Atmosphere focused horror and Jump Scare horror.

In the book we had the slow build up with Grey Wind freaking out, the bad food and music, the absent "nice" Freys, the weeping bride...

But in the show, everything was going awesomely until the doors were closed and Rains started to play. Then Talisa gets stabbed in a almost comical slasher fashion... It all felt quite weird, out of place. Almost unreal.

It went like this: characters gets framed in a american shot style, some random Frey quickly steps in and stabs/slashes and then steps out.

And Roose felt weird too. I really love the actor and the mildly amused sadist he is playing. But Roose running after spoiling the RW to Cat looked comical, and his stabbing of Robb was so rushed. I would also have prefered the mildly amused tone while delivering the line, instead of the slightly angry.

And to make Talisa hates feel sorry for her.

Didn't work. LOL. The transparent attempt to ellicite an extra emotional bang for their buck by the focus on her pregnancy, even going so far as talking baby names, then stabbing her in the stomach, made me hate her more than ever.

Why rearrange Talisa's uterus with a knife instead of just slitting her throat?

Because if the Frey slit her throat then they just kill Talisa.

They killed her baby first so that was the last thing in her mind as she lay dying.

That and for Robb to experience the exact same pain his mother experienced since she lost her husband and children.

Didn't work. LOL. The transparent attempt to ellicite an extra emotional bang for their buck by the focus on her pregnancy, even going so far as talking baby names, then stabbing her in the stomach, made me hate her more than ever.

Same here lol. That gushy stuff only made me feel sorry for Robb, not her.

Yep. If you already hate Talisa, unless you're easily emotionally manipulated, I think that that transparent attempt just makes it worse.

Still it would have been better had he casually strode out of the hall, deflecting a crossbow bolt at Robb with a swish of his fabulous pink cloak. :hat:

I have to admit, ever time I see Roose I'm a little sad that absolutely no pink is associated with House Bolton. It always will in my mind though.

Yep. If you already hate Talisa, unless you're easily emotionally manipulated, I think that that transparent attempt just makes it worse.

I agree, it really did. I could see my mom falling for it if she watched the show though. But that would fall into the buying of the pregnancy and gushy scene mess. It honestly only made me sadder to see Robb/Madden killed off and hope even more that Ran was right and she would be killed as well.

lol, Septa Mordane! wow. Yeah, sometimes people surprise you. Like I was quizzing my boyfriend on names and he was failing miserably, but was able to get Loras Tyrell and "Littlefinger: real name Petyr Baelish" o.O Actually, he did guess Cersei's name as Catelyn once, hah. Maybe it's just because they both start with C...

And I completely agree with you how they should make the men more distinctive looking. I would probably be utterly lost if I haven't read the books because people in large casts on shows tend to look alike to me.

^^ITA with the can't tell the guys apart. It is what drive me to read the books after losing interest in the show in season 2 bc I couldn't tell who was who and it made the story too hard to follow.

Also why no cloaks at the weddings?

No Tully red and blue?

It's a nitpick but it bugs me!

That's the way it was for me. Shaking my head, cliche to the end. I wanted the RW to focus on Robb and Catelyn. That's where the story was.

How come no one else seemed to notice the band playing the Rains of Castamere except Catelyn?

/nitpick

Because Talisa is an idiot foreigner and they've made Robb just as idiotic as her in the show. (And we don't have any known northern bannermen that's recognizable) so really all that's left is Cat sadly.

Archived