[BOOK SPOILERS] Nitpick without repercussion?

teemo

I guess I am in agreement with everyone else when I say that Robb's death was a bit of a letdown. I like the description of it as a "drive-by stabbing." And I was also a bit annoyed when Roose said "The Lannisters" instead of "Jaime Lannister", but I understand why they did it. They didn't want anyone to get the idea that Jaime had a hand in planning the event, as he's off on his good-guy arc, and everything's more simplistic in the show.

I thought Catelyn went out on more of a high note. I also would have enjoyed a bit of face clawing, but her scene was still pretty good.

I was very disappointed that Arya didn't let Grey Wind loose so he could go out like a champion instead of being shot in a pen. But I am guessing they didn't want to spend all the money on yet another wolf battle in the same episode.

Speaking of wolf battles, the Queenscrown scene was probably what I thought was the most problematic in the show, because they had to cram far too much into it. Orell's death, the eagle attacking Jon's face, Bran suddenly warging for the very first time consciously, Osha and Rickon leaving, they stuck a lot in there in a few minutes, and I would have enjoyed it more, I think, if they'd spread that stuff out across the season.

Nitpicking aside, though, I really did enjoy the episode. Its not as good as Season 2's climax, but it was still pretty awesome, and I imagine that for non-book readers who remained unspoiled, it must have been quite an hour.

Few of my little nitpicks:

-Jon escaping was a bit awkward. Not getting shot, not jumping the horse fluidly. Also the fact that Orell got killed while not being eagle-mode is kindof a letdown for me, no idea why tho.

-What's up with Joren being all "noone can warg a human"? From the books it is clear that it IS possible. I tought Joren knew his shit when it came to this kind of stuff?

-And where the HELL is the Greatjon? I want to see someone get slapped with a haunch of meat, I want to see tableflips, I want to see him batter Freys to death with his massive member...

Still one of the best episodes so far tho ^^

Here is what I didn't like about the episode

• no continuation from last episode on the ravens that flew behind Sam and Gilly; so it appears that there won't be a Coldhands, which is disappointing, but what bothers me is that Sam seems to be a fountain of knowledge, knows everything there is to know about the Night's Watch... yet he still forgets the bloody dagger
  • the slaughter at the RW was great and well done with the music and all, at least inside the hall - the only weakness, Catelyn's last moment - batshit crazy would have been better
  • but the weakest part of the RW was the Hound and Arya. So Arya sneaks in, but then Sandor strolls in, knocks her down, and strolls back out. No fighting your way out, no giving the audience the impression that Arya might have been killed as well; and Sandor was a stranger there, the Freys should have been trying to kill him as well
  • Yunkai - Jorah, Daario, and Grey Worm - the Three Musketeers Come on!!!

Nothing negative to say about the young Starks and Jon's arc.

-Dany's my favorite character. I normally rant and rave and pout when she is not featured in an ep... But her arc in this ep just threw things off. It was a very Stark centered ep, and to throw in Yunkai was just odd.

-What is up with all of the Arya foreshadowing? I just don't like it.

-No drums

-No Cat going crazy, clawing her face, laughing hysterically, and talking about how much Ned loved her hair. Her death was just oddly silent. That look on her face when she was just standing there...

-I know I kept saying how much I hated the Talisa character, but that's because I was absolutely sure she was a spy. I'm not going all apeshit over this like some people, but watching her being repeatedly stabbed in her pregnant belly was Gross with a capital G! And the fact that they keep killing people on the show who are STILL alive in the books irks me so much!

-Red Wedding shared too much screen time with other arcs.

-Red Wedding was too fast.

-No Umbers. I knew they obviously would not be in this season, but could someone have used a mutton leg as a weapon. Anyone?

-I know I'm going way overboard with my nitpicking, but I wanted more chaos overall.

Ahh, I feel better. It's nice to know I have a little place to come to so that I can bitch and moan and not have the finger pointed at me. I already know I'm overly meticulous, don't need anyone reminding me!

Regardless of all of this, I still gave this ep a 10. I have the Rains of Castamere stuck in my head, 3 hrs later..

Did anybody else notice that a WOMAN was killed by Catelyn, and a PREGNANT WOMAN was killed by Lame Lothar? MISOGYNY! TRIGGERING! CHARACTER ASSASSINATION! MALE GAZE! SEXISM!

:lmao:

-Dany's my favorite character. I normally rant and rave and pout when she is not featured in an ep... But her arc in this ep just threw things off. It was a very Stark centered ep, and to throw in Yunkai was just odd.

:) Yes.

My only nitpick as a reader of the books is why did they kill of talisa? First they change the character completely which was a mistake, then they kill her off? They royally fudged up that imo

I thought every change they made was unnecessary. A few of them were detrimental. It did what it was supposed to to the unsullied, and I didn't dislike it as an hour of television.

"My brother once told me that nothing someone says before the word "but" really counts"

BUT

it has made me sure that I won't watch the show if (when) they catch up to the books. I just don't trust them to adapt faithfully after this. There was very little resemblance to what actually happened. The big stuff, yeah. But the big picture matters only slightly more than the details in a book series. I don't trust them on the details. When they get past Winds of Winter material (or DwD), I'm out.

The yard bugged me.

The Freys killed those Northmen chilling at the picnic table and then walked away in silence. It would've been more satisfying if they threw in more frantic background sounds to relay the fact that Robb's entire army is getting murdered; maybe some agonizing screams and the sound of fire as their tents collapse on them. It was too cloak-and-dagger for me.

I would also have enjoyed seeing Sandor slam an axe through a Frey's helm during the escape, but him casually strolling out with Arya over his shoulder was cool too... I guess. It was missing the sense of urgency to get away from the bloodbath that I felt it should have had.

And of course, as everyone else has said, Greywind deserved a hero's death.

The Hound was underwhelming this episode. I was looking forward to his angry realization as to what was going on and the desperate realization that they need to get the hell out of there pronto. As it was, he seemed very casual with the wacking of Arya in the head and such before strolling away like he isn't in the middle of a massacre.

The yard bugged me.

The Freys killed those Northmen chilling at the picnic table and then walked away in silence. It would've been more satisfying if they threw in more frantic background sounds to relay the fact that Robb's entire army is getting murdered; maybe some agonizing screams and the sound of fire as their tents collapse on them. It was too cloak-and-dagger for me.

I would also have enjoyed seeing Sandor slam an axe through a Frey's helm during the escape, but him casually strolling out with Arya over his shoulder was cool too... I guess. It was missing the sense of urgency to get away from the bloodbath that I felt it should have had.

And of course, as everyone else has said, Greywind deserved a hero's death.

Based on the preview from next episode, we might see glimpses of the massacre in the camps.There's a shot of Roose on the battlements, observing the carnage below, as well as numerous shots of riders and Stark and Tully banners on fire.

Grey Wind not fighting and dying like a bitch.

No flayed Theon skin from Roose to Robb. I guess they want to keep Ramsay a secret til next episode for the non readers, but I thought it fitting for Robb to die knowing that Theon is paying for his crimes.

No news of Balon dying. Again I guess that's something for them to mention next episode. Hopefully they still mention that Euron has returned and they do the Kingsmoot in season 4.

The Dany scene felt out of place, but Dany in general I don't really care about since they didn't cast Fat Belwas.

I sat there, watched and wasn't impressed at all, sadly. I expected far more from the music. Starting right with the Rains of Castamere was a too early giveaway. I missed the drums, booming about the tables and drowning every conversation. And I wanted Catelyn to look suspicious and not completely knowing by the time she discovers Rooses chainmail. The Rains should have played during the killing, not so long before...

Frey people should have to look far more nervous, thus causing her to contront one, fiddling at his clothes and find out. And I looked forward to much more reaction of the Stark bannerman. I wanted to see th Greatjon fighting for his live, punching Freys to death with his bare fists. And one of the strong pictures I always imagined was the one of Rooses Axeman crashing through the door like some kind of heroic Stark cavalry, only to hack good guys to pieces. Yeah, and the scenes outside were a little bit odd. I would have liked Arya and the hound in the middle of the feast tents, watching people breaking the Tents and setting fire to them. We could have to see much more shock and horror at her face, especially if the hound is slaughtering his way through Freys to reach her. And it should have ended with Arya knocked down by an axe and not... well wandering casually through the camp until being knocked out and casually leaving the camp. Seriously, this is a bloody massacre of everyone without Frey/Bolton-Sigil, so why don't they do harm to the Hound? But overall, I could have lived with that. My only severe problems are music and pacing. It's such a strong scene, so why didn't they used everything they had to flash the people?

1. Would've liked more Roose (of course). Glad they kept his marriage to Fat Walda, but they should've lingered on his stabbing of Robb and delivery of "(Jaime) the Lannister(s) send(s) (his) their regards" for at least a few more seconds.

2. A _real_ nit-picky nit pick: Robb's "chess pieces" are too uniform (not that he needs them any more). Seriously though, all the lion heads look like they came out of a plastic mold. They should look like they were hand-carved out of wood or stone, and each one look a little different.

Archived