[Book spoilers] Read me if you are a reader watching the show with nonreaders

TMWNN

Attention Westeros.org! Operation WaW (Weeping and Wailing) is scheduled for today. The plan is to record as many reaction videos as possible of nonreaders to the Red Wedding and post them online in a central location.

Details are at the Reddit discussion thread. We look forward to laughing at your friends' tears!

Why are you getting off on that? Laughing at people's tears? And who would take advantage of their friends like that?

That's kind of judgmental. Yes I suppose it might be entertaining on some level to see people upset but I think it's more that it has a certain documentary value to see how emotionally invested many of the viewers (even non book-readers) are in the show and it speaks to the power of the material.

In any case, I gasped louder than any the non-book readers I watch the show with.

I saw one of these reaction videos and it's scary -- people get REALLY into TV shows don't they? I mean REALLY REALLY into it. One poor girl literally freaked out to the point you would've swore she just heard her parents died. It was creepy to say the least.

Thankfully other reactions were mostly mild by comparison, nothing you wouldn't expect from a scary horror movie scene.

Why are you getting off on that? Laughing at people's tears? And who would take advantage of their friends like that?

Sad comment trying to whiteknight.

There are tv-programs all about showing homemade clips about people hurting themselves in terrible ways and such. This is simply laughing at someone who saw someone in a tv-show die. Get your priorities straight and grow up.

I saw one of these reaction videos and it's scary -- people get REALLY into TV shows don't they? I mean REALLY REALLY into it. One poor girl literally freaked out to the point you would've swore she just heard her parents died. It was creepy to say the least.

Thankfully other reactions were mostly mild by comparison, nothing you wouldn't expect from a scary horror movie scene.

I haven't watched any of those videos but it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of people are just hamming it up for attention/views or whatever. I mean, I'm really fucking in to this series but if someone's genuinely weeping, wailing, and gnashing and throwing an actual fit that's pretty silly.

edit: yeah, just searched out a few random videos on youtube - this ain't for me, most people just aren't funny or entertaining. It was fun seeing my friend's reactions after watching (I was way too spellbound to really care in the middle of it) but that's about it. there's a few pretty good tweets on that one RW compilation twitter someone posted though

Using a word from my language, ok. Being schadenfroh is not a good character trait. Filming a friend's reaction and putting it up online for others to laugh at, only a jerk who doesn't deserve friends would do that.

You, kind sir, must be socially retarded.

As I pointed out earlier it is a common thing in our society to do stuff like that. There are failcompilations online of people hurting themselves and they get millions of views. There are shows on MTV and such that show clips where people break bones. There are loaaaaads of ways you can see people fall/get hurt/get embarrassed and that's because it's not the nicest thing to do, you do it for a laugh.

THIS however, hurts noone. The people in the videos DON'T get hurt, they get upset over the loss of an imaginary character. You must be struggling with mental disabilities if you seriously think putting these videos online makes you less of a person.

You, kind sir, must be socially retarded.

As I pointed out earlier it is a common thing in our society to do stuff like that. There are failcompilations online of people hurting themselves and they get millions of views. There are shows on MTV and such that show clips where people break bones. There are loaaaaads of ways you can see people fall/get hurt/get embarrassed and that's because it's not the nicest thing to do, you do it for a laugh.

THIS however, hurts noone. The people in the videos DON'T get hurt, they get upset over the loss of an imaginary character. You must be struggling with mental disabilities if you seriously think putting these videos online makes you less of a person.

"Socially retarded", "mental disabilities", this minor little exchange is reason for you to use words that strong? Never mind then, let's consider this conversation over. And I'm not a "sir".

Full disclosure:

I am not usually an overly emotional person, but I do have a fair amount of empathy for my fellow man.

My wife (Unsullied) took a couple of days to watch the show, but when she did, I let her watch it in peace.

Later, she told me that she cried when Talisa and here baby died, and that she would no longer be watching the show with me.

I attempted to console her, by telling her that all readers pretty much felt the same way when we read the Red Wedding, but give it a few days/weeks/months, to recover.

My point is that being emotionally invested in the story is not a sign of weakness. The fact that we are all posting for the most part daily on this site means that , whether we want to admit it or not, we are all emotionally invested in these books, and by extension to TV show.

Using a word from my language, ok. Being schadenfroh is not a good character trait. Filming a friend's reaction and putting it up online for others to laugh at, only a jerk who doesn't deserve friends would do that.

Judging other people's friendship doesn't seem to be a good character trait either. It's condescending. You're probably right about some who are bad friends. Some friends are comfortable with these things, let them be.

As for apparently being a undeserving jerk, we get off on it because we've gone through the same experience that we now get to share with a friend. Not to be compared to a cheap thrill. We'd like to look back on these experiences because they are priceless. I kind wish I could see my own reaction. But that's me and I don't speak for everyone.

I didn't record anybody watching, but I'm enjoying watching the reaction videos because for the first time I get to share the experience of the Red Wedding with other people. Like other readers, I experienced it in isolation with no one there to videotape me. Seeing the videos is cathartic. And it's not like I'm laughing only at them. I'm laughing at myself and all the rest of us too. This is an experience we've all gone through.

I didn't record anybody watching, but I'm enjoying watching the reaction videos because for the first time I get to share the experience of the Red Wedding with other people. Like other readers, I experienced it in isolation with no one there to videotape me. Seeing the videos is cathartic. And it's not like I'm laughing only at them. I'm laughing at myself and all the rest of us too. This is an experience we've all gone through.

You should seriously check out the "Angry Hitler" one they posted, taking footage from a WWII movie but overwriting the German titles with stuff about the RW, it's freaking hilarious.

Archived