[Book Spoilers] EP309 Discussion

Ran

Right sword hand for sale here. It's what I bet when I said that Talisa is a spy!

Yeah, yeah, I eat my words.

It was a good ep... I will not ruin the mood and save my nitpicking about the Red Wedding for the Negative Nitpicking board. Lol, who am I kidding.... ok, not that it wasn't good, it just lacked some stuff I thought. It needed more music (drums!), it didn't have Cat going crazy, no Grey Wind going apeshit, the fact that Talisa Jeyne is dead now tells me she basically has no role left in the entire book series...

For the producers to say that this one chapter was the entire reason they did the series, they didn't really live up to the expectation that I had. I also wish that it had been filmed more like the Blackwater, for two reasons. One, the Red Wedding was such an epic event, it deserved one ep on its own, and two, I absolutely could not concentrate on what else was going on in the ep because I was way too focused on the RW!

I did overall enjoy the ep, I do remember Bran warging, and Osha finally leaving with Rickon, and Dany winning Yunkai. I also love that they introduced all of Frey's unattractive daughters, and the look on Edmure's face when he saw Rosalyn!

So, the Blackfish. Did he escape and head back to Riverrun?

@andylevy 1h

it’s too bad ‘entourage’ didn’t end like that #GoT

@Doc_0 7 mins

Other than that, Mrs. Stark, how was the wedding?

the comic relief with Lord Frey leading up to it was a great red herring for the ending

Edited by Commodore

I have no particular preference in regard to the issue but the fact that they did not include the will does not eliminate the possibility that the Northern houses might want to crown Jon.

I always thought the Northern Conspiracy had to do with Rickon not Jon.

Did anyone notice that TV Cat tells Roose that TV Ned forbade the bedding at Cat and Ned's wedding, saying it wouldn't be right to break a man's jaw on their wedding night? Book Cat remembers her own bedding, so this is not true of the books.

I'm just going to point out that TV Ned (retroactively) did the same thing TV Tyrion did in 3x08, one episode before (put a stop to the bedding and threaten violence). I know a lot of fans were joking about how Tyrion is the new Ned, but wow. Just...wow.

...Not to mention Ned would never put a stop to a tradition like the bedding and threaten violence if he didn't get his way. A very, very odd change from the books.

Edited by Newstar

I think it would be necessary if we were being strictly realistic- he'd have to plan for a regency for instance. But that would have complicated things further to have a discussion about regency scenarios. People are upset because its a blow to Jon becoming King in the North someday, a theory I've never subscribed to anyway.

Seems unnecessarily complicated to add a need for possible regent for his child, I can understand it being ditched. As for Jon, people really should get off that theory, him being King of Westeros or of the North, more than likely he'll either stay/become a corpse or will remain in the Nights Watch. Would be too much of a stretch of his "honor" for any other conclusion imo.

Rickon will be new Lord of Winterfell.

Episode was certainly a punch in the gut though. Shows how well written and acted this was, even though I knew it was coming it still was a thrilling ep. Talisa... disliked her character but... wow.

Uhm wauw that they showed that on television, the building-up was so warm and nice and everything was gonna be okay, but then BAM stabbed in the stomache. I thought they couldn't live up to the expectations but they made it feel just like in the books. The whole wedding I felt excited, sad and angry. Great television! But ugh I want some revenge, quick.

Poor Arya...I kind of wish they would have showed Grey Wind not wanting to enter the Twins, but other than that bad ass episode. All the non book readers around me were like their better be some action this episode, and I just sat there ohhh man.

Awesome episode, really well done. Michele nailed it and I liked that she ended in a catatonic way despite some complaints that I've read here in the forum. I think that the impact was much greater, at least for me. The only thing that I missed was her going for Walder Frey, instead of the wife. Despite all the preparation for the scene with the music, doors being shut, Cat's sense that something bad was about to come, the stabbing on Talise was a shock. The rest of the episode was also great, loved Rickon scene, very touching and The Hound with Arya was also cool, specially the scene with the old trader. I was only upset that the episode was shorter than usual, but already had the chance to see it again on HBOHD, and again got the same shocking and empty feeling at the end. Can't wait for the season finale.

I think it would be necessary if we were being strictly realistic- he'd have to plan for a regency for instance. But that would have complicated things further to have a discussion about regency scenarios. People are upset because its a blow to Jon becoming King in the North someday, a theory I've never subscribed to anyway.

Not really, D&D have already said in past interviews that they are fully aware of the will and that they will acknowledge and address it on the show at some point, so the will is going to show up on the show in the future eventually.....

Great episode but I really wish they showed Grey Wind fighting - I presume it was due to costs: The vast majority of us love animals and this would have been amazing. Reading from asoiaf bio:

While the butchery of the Stark forces took place, Frey men would kill Grey Wind, but not before he was released by Raynald Westerling, allegedly killing four Frey wolfhounds and tearing the arm off of a man, even while being shot by crossbows. His head was sewn onto Robb's corpse as a final insult to the Starks.

PS. In films they have to not kill pets because the films get a negative reaction, even in Independence day everyone is dying, the dog is safe.

Awesome!

Everything in the stone tower was done so well. SO sad when Rickon and Bran had to say 'goodbye'.

They also did a great job on RW - the first time I've really liked Talisa (naming son Eddard) and then, of course, she's a goner right after.

Disappointed, though, that they didn't show Cat clawing her face. That was one of the most memorable visual images I had when reading the book.

Just love the interaction between Arya and Sandor. And - finally - we get some direwolves!

Surprised they also got Yunkai in this episode, but they did it so efficiently. Jorah's being knocked right off his horse by Dario - personally, I've always thought Jorah was a little too possessive and self-assured when it came to Dany, so this is a good thing for me, seeing his reaction.

No Coldhands!!!! Ackkkkkkkkkkkk But surely he'll be next episode.

No Melisandra . . . Yea!!!

In preview for final episode, seeing Tyrion say The North will never forget was tremendous.