[Book Spoilers] EP309 Discussion

Ran

Just saw it! Wow my heart was beating like crazy even though I knew I was coming. I'd say that their preformance on the RW was an 8 of 10. It would've been much more powerful had there been characters like the Greatjon. Still very well done I think it got the job done. Yet it will never be able to change my perception of how it happened the first time around, which was still better.

Great episode, really epic.

But I can't help but think its all downhill from here. Sure we have a few good episodes lined up for next season but it feels like the RW was the pinnacle. Endless traveling, weird kraken uncles, pig jousting, ninja training, tree dude and naive princes, nothing with the gravitas of the events of this episode. I'm having post RW let down.

Did anyone else notice that Grey Wind was still alive in his cage (you could hear him whimper)? Since the last episode is called Mhysa, or Mother, Does Grey Wind send a picture to Bran, now that Bran has opened up his mind to warging the direwolves.

Did anyone else notice that Grey Wind was still alive in his cage (you could hear him whimper)? Since the last episode is called Mhysa, or Mother, Does Grey Wind send a picture to Bran, now that Bran has opened up his mind to warging the direwolves.

I'd bet money that "Mhysa" refers to Dany. After all, she is the Mother of Dragons!

Anyway, I think the Red Wedding was a 10, despite all the changes that they made to the books. I was actually very pleased with all the other important action they were able to get in, all without going to King's Landing at all. Sad that there's no Jaime/Brienne for two weeks in a row, though. Hopeful that they show up in S3E10. I'd be fine if no Theon appears, but I think I saw a peek of Reek in the preview.

I wonder if they are going to do unCat? I hope so, Michelle Fairey tore up the scenery tonight. I think GRRM has ******* up the character in the books but I think D&D could make it very compelling on screen.

The Arya-Hound interaction is INCREDIBLE. I love how he is like a giant compared to her and she's just fearless.

I had completely forgotten Rickon separates from Brandon. So its Hodor/Brandon & Meera/Jojen who go far into the North. Don't the run into Sam at some point? It's been a bit since I read the books so its a but fuzzy. I do remember Coldhands being helpful on their journey, however and that they wouldn't survive without his presence.

I saw a glimpse of Yara in the preview..I wonder how they are going to change the Iron Islands storyline??

Say whata what now?

Anyways, I'm tired of all the Arya prophesies. DD, let GRRM do his job and write the books. Let us do our job and read them. Just because you have inside info about the last two unfinished books, that have yet to come out, that no one has read, does not mean that you get to parade your information in our faces with your obvious, first grade level foreshadowing, and ruin it for us.

Why make a big deal of the bread and salt if you're not going to explain what they mean? Was there a deleted scene or something? I can only imagine what non-book readers will make of it.

Yeah, the Ned thing was just kind of a WTF moment for me. I don't understand why they feel compelled to do such things.

It was just so unnecessary. I guess the writers wanted a cute reminiscence about Ned and Cat, and Ned sparing Cat the bedding (presumably out of concern for her, since the beddings seem to be way more traumatic for the women than the men) would certainly qualify--something along the lines of "Ned loves my hair" since I don't think they wanted dialogue for Cat after Robb dies, just the howl of grief--but on the heels of an episode where Tyrion also nixed the bedding, and also threatened to hurt people if they insisted on going through with it (Tyrion threatened to geld Joffrey, Ned threatened to break jaws), the parallel's pretty obvious.

All of those tweets are priceless, but I hope they are not serious about boycotting the show just because of the Red Wedding.

Nah, they'll all come crawling back, just like we did to the books. :D

Just because you have inside info about the last two unfinished books, that have yet to come out, that no one has read, does not mean that you get to parade your information in our faces with your obvious, first grade level foreshadowing, and ruin it for us.

Well, grain of salt and all. Arya also "prophesied" that someday she would put a sword through Sandor's head. Unless the writers are seriously going to deviate from the books, no one thinks that will happen, do they? Sandor's "prophecy" did cause me to prick up my ears a little bit, though. I can totally believe Arya's kindness might get her killed; heck, it almost got her killed in this episode, when she tried to go to the castle to try to save her mother and brother despite knowing the danger.

Edited by Newstar

All of those tweets are priceless, but I hope they are not serious about boycotting the show just because of the Red Wedding.

there is only one episode left. By next year their "sorrow" will be over.

Few comments about Essos. If you pause it at the right moment you can see the exact moment when Dany broke Jorah's heart.

I'd bet money that "Mhysa" refers to Dany. After all, she is the Mother of Dragons!

Well, duh, of course, Mhysa is what the slaves call Dany, but this is the finale of the season, Episode 10 will not be all Dany, and if you looked at the brief, 41 second preview of the last episode, about 15 story lines are touched on with shots from the episode. And since Mhysa means mother, and we see scenes with Cersei and Joffrey and with Arya and Bran, in addition to Dany scenes, one assumes mothers will be a theme. And Mel, for that matter, mother of demon shadows.

So, as I said, since Grey Wind is still alive and whimpering at the end of the episode, will we see Bran receiving a message, now that he has really opened his mind to the direwolves?

ETA: I don't mean to suggest Grey Wind survives, just that the direwolves are all connected and messages may be received by others.

Edited by Fragile Bird

As years before, when I first read that scene in the books, watching it was above dificult and gut-wrenching.

Red wedding scene was not in book tone. This is not chaotic climax we had in Catelyn`s and Arya`s POV where you were trembling from hatred, this was toned down a bit, but very effective. I have to say it was another look at the wedding, and I liked it as much as you can love that sort of scene. Michelle Fairley`s character will be gone for some time (I imagine we won`t see UnCat next weekend), and she will remained unused treasure of the GoT. She was brilliant this episode, but the writing overall this season was bad, and now the chance is missed. The way camera approached to her from behind where Rains of Castamere started and the way doors are closed, in a very sinister way showed how toned, but effective scene will be. What we lack in chaos, we certainly got in astonishing viciousness of killing Talisa. This was the scene we all perversly enjoyed in, and it, unlike the wedding from last episode, completely lived up to its reputation.

And now to Bran and Rickon, who actually spoke something. I cried thrice during GoT, when Rodrick Cassel was murdered, when Maester Luwin died, and tonight(for me morning), during Bran/Rickon conversation. It was much harder to digest this than it was with RW. When Rickon talked about protecting Bran, I was destroyed. Ygritte`s face at the end was priceless too...

Now, Mhysa... Next week we`ll focus on KL and other surroundings. I already saw Sansa in tears, which means we`ll see her reaction. If they don`t come up with something to repay for what they have done to her character in episode 8, I`ll be seriously angered.

Overall, great episode, with such cathartic moments... One thing is certain, no one was immune to this episode... It was perfectly horrific episode that I want to forget soon enough, but alas I think I won`t :)

Wow, people are going crazy on twitter. Talking about boycotting the show, and never watching it again. I suspected this sort of reaction would happen though. Here's one tweet:

BOYCOTT GAME OF THRONES THERE WAS A STABBING OF A PREGNANT WOMAN, THROATS BEING SLIT, ANIMALS BEING SLAUGHTERED. just sick

Damn. I understand watching a pregnant lady being stabbed in the stomach was just flat out disturbing, but people are really taking this far. It's a show.