[Book Spoilers] EP309 Discussion

Ran

Why did Roose hint to Cat that he was wearing armor?

Because he was taunting her, Roose loves playing mind games with people and he knew that at that point, Cat knowing what was about to happen would not actually stop it from happening....

The worst part of the episode was the way they killed Grey Wind, I was hoping for Arya to open up that cage and let him kill some Freys, but nope they just decided to kill him without him getting any kills. I'm just glad Summer and Shaggy got some action earlier in the episode.

I liked what they did with Grey Wind. It was awesome to have him kill some Freys in the books, but just the way he looked at Arya for that second, it seemed there was a look in his eyes like he knew he couldn't help Robb. It also meant the wedding was just 100% massacre, no chance to fight back at all, which hit really hard.

I for one, am actually glad that the show's version of the RW was not as powerful as the book's version. After reading what happened in the books I damn near almost had a nervous break down lol. So I was really not looking forward to seeing them die in this episode, yet at the same time I knew the scene was obviously going to happen so I was relieved it happened pretty quickly. It's a very gruesome, disturbing, and overall depressing scene in the books, but at the same time it's necessary in order to move the story forward so I'm glad the show just got the ugly business out of the way as quickly as possible....

Edited by Jon Icefyre

Because he was taunting her, Roose loves playing mind games with people and he knew that at that point, Cat knowing what was about to happen would not actually stop it from happening....

No wonder Ramsay turned out to be what he is.

I for one, am actually glad that the show's version of the RW was not as powerful as the book's version. After reading what happened in the books I damn near almost had a nervous break down lol. So I was really not looking forward to seeing them die in this episode, yet at the same time I knew the scene was obviously going to happen so I was relieved it happened pretty quickly. It's a very gruesome, disturbing, and overall depressing scene in the books, but at the same time it's necessary in order to move the story forward so I'm glad the show just got the ugly business out of the way as quickly as possible....

Did you miss the part where Robb's pregnant wife was stabbed in the uterus 10 times and he touched her stomach just before she dies?

Homer touched on one thing that has me and others concerned. SoS was arguably the best book in the series, the last 2 the worst. While I was looking forward to this season immensely I can't say the same for next year.

Sure some interesting new characters sure but chapter of chapter of pointless side stories, Dany sitting on her arse, etc. etc., and certainly no event that even comes close to the RW. The writers better really have some brilliant ideas to make GoT viewers perserve until the following season.

Edited by yushkevsh

Did you miss the part where Robb's pregnant wife was stabbed in the uterus 10 times and he touched her stomach just before she dies?

Geez relax buddy I'm not saying it wasn't a gruesome scene, I'm just saying they could have made the scene a lot worse and longer compared to the books which had Grey Wind's head being chopped off and sowed on to Robb's headless body. The scene in the TV series was pretty quick and straight to the point, and I was relieved it was....

Edited by Jon Icefyre

The aftermath of the episode in the internet is at least as entertaining as the episode.

Knowing what would happen from the books, the build up seemed kind of long winded to me. The scene itself was quite graphic but, as far as I remember, toned down a lot compared to book. I remember reading the chapter well. I did not throw the book, but I cursed and stared at the page for quite a while before reading on.

As for people to quit watching the show: We did see how that worked out after the 1. season... ;)

Homer touched on one thing that has me and others concerned. SoS was arguably the best book in the series, the last 2 the worst. While I was looking forward to this season immensely I can't say the same for next year.

Sure some interesting new characters sure but chapter of chapter of pointless side stories, Dany sitting on her arse, etc. etc., and certainly no event that even comes close to the RW. The writers better really have some brilliant ideas to make GoT viewers perserve until the following season.

Well actually IMO next season will have some of the most epic scenes in the entire series, which is Joffrey finally being murdered, Oberyn vs The mountain fight in Tyrion's trail by combat, followed by Tyrion killing Tywin, and Stannis going to the wall and making Jon the offer to be Lord of Winterfell....

Edited by Jon Icefyre

I'm not sure if they will but I think what the fans need is to see UnCat and something dramatic about revenge. Dany is enough for me but some people who only love Stark and care little for the other houses need something to keep them coming back.

Maybe the Mhysa isn't only referring to Dany but to Cat as well. Plus it could introduce Arya warging by pulling her out of the water.

I wish I could have read or watched this scene for the first time and not known what was going to happen. Internet trolls suck. Some of the most shocking deaths (RW) was spoiled for me just after watching season 1 . . .

Edited by Targaryen Tempest

Season 4 still has a lot of material from SoS. Joffrey`s wedding, Tyrion's trial, Oberyn Martell, Meereen. They'll probably introduce the Greyjoys as well, and Euron should be fun to watch.

I think the problem is season 5-6. On AFfC, nothing happens, really. They'll have to cut through that book really fast, because the audience will NOT like to watch Brienne, Sansa and Cersei doing absolutly nothing for 10 episodes.

ADwD is a lot better, since the most appealing characters appear here (Jon, Tyrion and Dany), so its easier to form a season around these three. But again, there's really not much action going on in Meereen and The Wall, it's just Jon and Dany sitting around solving problems here and there.

My opinion is they will have a really hard time coming up with interesting and action packed episodes on those 2 seasons, which unfortunetly may cause HBO to not have enough interest in making seasons 7 and 8 for the TWoW. Things get even uglier if you consider that GRRM may not be able to finish Book 7 by 2018 - which would probably mean the end of the series.

Well actually IMO next season will have some of the most epic scenes in the entire series, which is Joffrey finally being murdered, Oberyn vs The mountain fight in Tyrion's trail by combat, followed by Tyrion killing Tywin....

No doubt a few scenes I'm looking forward to but I think they'll be overshadowed by the direction (or lack thereof) that so many readers have complained about. For me, Joff's death and Tyrion killing his father were bizarre plot twists that had me scratching me head rather than being completely shocked (like the RW).

After they die, where's the real drama, tension and story direction?

I can't imagine people will be thrilled at the Kingsmoot, Brienne riding aimlessly through Westeros (even though we all know where Sansa really is), Quentyn, Dany's slave problems and even after teasing viewers so brilliantly with the WWs at the end of season 2, where are they now?

Clearly I'm worried the series is going to lose steam after peaking so strongly with the RW - a scene that in more than a few eyes saved a rather tedious season so far.

Edit: Just noticed Ministry's reply - he summed it up much better than I did. Agreed that next season *may* be fine but after that ...

Edited by yushkevsh

Did anyone notice that TV Cat tells Roose that TV Ned forbade the bedding at Cat and Ned's wedding, saying it wouldn't be right to break a man's jaw on their wedding night? Book Cat remembers her own bedding, so this is not true of the books.

I'm just going to point out that TV Ned (retroactively) did the same thing TV Tyrion did in 3x08, one episode before (put a stop to the bedding and threaten violence). I know a lot of fans were joking about how Tyrion is the new Ned, but wow. Just...wow.

...Not to mention Ned would never put a stop to a tradition like the bedding and threaten violence if he didn't get his way. A very, very odd change from the books.

The change in Cat's bedding story also felt off to me in that it doesn't seem to be a faithful portrayal of what Ned and Cat's relationship was at that point. Ned was still the "shy wolf" who was just beginning to come to terms with his role as a lord and husband to a woman who was still basically a stranger.

I have to say, though, that I don't really mind drawing parallels between Tyrion & Ned. I definitely do not see Tyrion as "the new Ned" but I think they are both similar and different from each other in interesting ways.

All that said, I thought that it was a really solid episode. I agree with Kasrith aboout appreciating the stealth Arya scene.

Well actually IMO next season will have some of the most epic scenes in the entire series, which is Joffrey finally being murdered, Oberyn vs The mountain fight in Tyrion's trail by combat, followed by Tyrion killing Tywin....

Yeah. I agree. Thus far nothing else has happened on the scale of the red wedding, but there are still some great moments ahead. To go along with the above, there is also the Arya stabbing, the fight on the wall, Littlefinger's reveal and Lysa's fall.

Edited by BeatsBearsBattlestar