[Book Spoilers] EP309 Discussion

Ran

I honestly don't think this show will survive long enough to cover all 7 books but I hope to be proven wrong. I was very interested in books 4 and 5, but I don't think an audience can be without condensing and with condensing comes faster plot and with faster plot comes catching up with the books and bringing the show to a standstill.

ADwD is a lot better, since the most appealing characters appear here (Jon, Tyrion and Dany), so its easier to form a season around these three. But again, there's really not much action going on in Meereen and The Wall, it's just Jon and Dany sitting around solving problems here and there.

Don't forget about the emergence of JC and Young Griff that will be huge, in fact they might insert them earlier in the series and give them a little more of a backstory to make up for the lack of entertainment in AFFC, but also in concerns to AFFC Arienne's mini rebellion attempt with Myrcella along with the introduction of Darkstar and Arys Oakheart receiving the better part of Areo Hotah's long axe should be interesting to see.

Edited by Jon Icefyre

Robb dead cat dead blah blah dead. I hated everyone's death to this point, Ned, Robert you name it.but you know what. Everything is ok though as long as Sam is around. He's the greatest man ho ever lived. And if any disagrees ill fight them. Plus he's a wizard.

Totes gold!

The lead up to the Red Wedding had me shivering, Walder Frey was an excellent, conniving evil plotter. I felt like his swearing to the Seven was a pretty good portrayal of how much he was betraying custom and decency.

In a way, I'm relieved every time a character is killed off earlier than in the books. It gets really cumbersome having to explain the 37 different storylines while trying to watch the goddamned show. The Others can bugger people who want a more literal version, we don't have 15 years to watch that play out while I try to summarize the various plots for my viewing friends...it's a lot to expect of an audience, unsullied or not.

I do like how Grey Wind's killing was handled. I didn't really want to see a fine beast being riddled with crossbow bolts and then decapitated/sewn onto Robb's body; especially after that preggerz-belly prison-shiving! This episode was pretty amazing, enough that I'm still processing it and actually wanted to write about it.

I didn't really want to see a fine beast being riddled with crossbow bolts and then decapitated/sewn onto Robb's body

You may yet. It looks like from the 3x10 promo that 3x10 picks up where 3x09 leaves off and shows the massacre continuing outside the castle walls. We haven't seen Wolfhead Robb in this episode, but we may very well next week.

On another note, Osha said of Rickon "He'll learn to walk in darkness." I know she was talking about literal darkness, since they were leaving with the cover of night, but DUN DUN DUNNNNN, seriously.

Edited by Newstar

I honestly don't think this show will survive long enough to cover all 7 books but I hope to be proven wrong.

I'm pretty sure you are right.

I see the quality slipping this season (REALLY annoyed about them skipping the battle at the fist after the cliff-hanger setup.)

Don't think there is any way they get all the books covered.

So what's with all the umber and last hearth name dropping all season are the going to play a bigger part.Also i'm sad about no Skaggos hoping to see some unicorn and cannibal action also why haven't they started name dropping the manderly's his son was at the wedding?

My opinion is they will have a really hard time coming up with interesting and action packed episodes on those 2 seasons, which unfortunetly may cause HBO to not have enough interest in making seasons 7 and 8 for the TWoW. Things get even uglier if you consider that GRRM may not be able to finish Book 7 by 2018 - which would probably mean the end of the series.

GRRM originally wrote AFfC and DwD as one huge novel but the publishers made him split it into two books. So it's safe to assume that the show is going to blend the storylines for both and stretch it over seasons 5 and 6. They couldn't possibly have a Season 5 without Dany, Jon or Tyrion.

I also think that the show will greatly (and mercifully) edit down much of Brienne's loooooong travelogue storyline from AFfC. The audience will definitely NOT tolerate some extended storyline of Brienne aimlessly wandering around the Riverlands looking for Sansa when they know Sansa is at The Eyrie with Littlefinger. That storyline was pointless in the book and will be doubly pointless on television.

On another note, Osha said of Rickon "He'll learn to walk in darkness." I know she was talking about literal darkness, since they were leaving with the cover of night, but DUN DUN DUNNNNN, seriously.

I thought the same like this is a book clue.

If this show wont surive its not because it does not stick 100% to the book.Its because of the severe lack of budget.Seriously how in seven hells does the walking dead get 2.8 millions budget/episode and this gets what..500k by the looks of it.

If they will only keep showing the aftermath of battles, they will not survive the 4th season.Keep in mind that people that did not read the books, do not know that Robb or Ned were never main characters.The tv show portrayed them as ones, and people got attached to them.

I really hope they get some money, cause i love the Series.Anyway on to the episode it self, i liked it.I knew they were not going to show the wolf pup with a wolf head on him, cause Peta and all that crap, but the rest of the wedding was done well enough.I only wish they added words when the band started singing, would have been a bit more epic.

Also i kinda laughed when Cait bitch slapped Bolton and he pulled a exist stage right.Seriously he puffed like in a second :))

Jon was a total boss.

I'm pretty sure you are right.

I see the quality slipping this season (REALLY annoyed about them skipping the battle at the fist after the cliff-hanger setup.)

Don't think there is any way they get all the books covered.

aren't the rating amazing? why wouldn't it go the whole run? sure you're annoyed because you read the books and are dissapointed by the changes, but the show is a massive hit. the biggest show on HBO isn't it?

Geez relax buddy I'm not saying it wasn't a gruesome scene, I'm just saying they could have made the scene a lot worse and longer compared to the books which had Grey Wind's head being chopped off and sowed on to Robb's headless body. The scene in the TV series was pretty quick and straight to the point, and I was relieved it was....

The massacre took up almost 10 minutes of screentime and most of the episode was building up to it. People who have never read the books are losing their minds all over the internet. It was plenty long and powerful.

You already knew what was going to happen, that numbs the shock considerably.

I just re-watched the ep and it's pretty gut-wrenching on the second viewing.

Edited by Tyrion_the_Oneironaut

Question...

In the books, didn't Ygriette shot an arrow into Jon's thigh at Queenscrown? I believe they cut that part of the show...any guesses why?

He still looked injured. I was expecting the arrow as well, but they must have had their reason for cutting it out.

Geez relax buddy I'm not saying it wasn't a gruesome scene, I'm just saying they could have made the scene a lot worse and longer compared to the books which had Grey Wind's head being chopped off and sowed on to Robb's headless body. The scene in the TV series was pretty quick and straight to the point, and I was relieved it was....

The wolf head will be next episode.