[Book Spoilers] EP309 Discussion

Ran

What percentage of those who are done, fucking done, 1000% done, 20-times-in-the-face-with-a-fork done, take-me-out-of-the-oven done with GoT will be tuning in for next week's episode? I'm thinking fifty percent, at least.

Reckon they'll calm down after a week.

I was actually dreading this episode. I thought the show had abandoned the Stark POV and would play the Red Wedding as a Lannister triumph. The prior episodes had gone too far pushing them as 'protagonists' if not outright heroes. This episode shows the Red Wedding as the abomination it was, so I am happy. And all the Starks out on the road were given their voices. Bran and Jon are get characters if you let them have their voices.

Great episode beginning to end. Very Stark-centric episode. Got to see Jon "man up", kill Orell and a few others. Direwolves were back with a vengence. Bran warging Hodor and the wolves. Arya standing up to the Hound and him seeming truly offended(?) when she said some day she will stick a sword through his eye. Rickon can speak!!!!! Who knew?

Dany and Daario flirtation and Jorah starting to get jealous. Funny seeing Jorah throw an insult to Barriston about staying and protecting the queen and then when he and Grey Worm come back all she asks is about Daario!

RW. Absolutely nailed it. I can't say I expected much more than what they did. Showing Talisa's baby bump and how happy Robb was with her, and they were going to name him after NED!!!!!!!!!! Then the first killing is her getting stabbed in the belly, damn good.

Robb died well, I will he had taken out at least one Frey, but oh well.

Cat, very well acted, you could see the terror and horror in her eyes. Would have liked to see her looking at Robb dead and clawing at her eyes before dying but was still great.

Arya witnessing Grey wolf dying also sucked! For me that was the worst scene. For some reason I don't mind seeing the actors dying but the wolf dying really sucked.

Fucking hell. That's incredible. In both a good and bad sense. I doubt many of the people will follow through on their threats to cancel HBO or never watch again but, still.

I think it proves my point from yesterday, though, that they need a really significant "fuck yeah!" moment to end the season or run the risk of losing viewers out of just constant negativity.

Worst bird effect ever. But nice to see the wolves contributing to the show.

I am confused though - was that Shaggy and Summer or was Ghost there? Where is Ghost at this point in the book anyway?

he had to leave ghost on the other side of the wall, it was just summer in the book who rescued him and got a bolt in the leg for it.

I started to cry as they slit Catelyn's throat, Michelle Fairley did a fantastic job.

And Talisa's death was shocking as well, I didn't expect this at all because I I kind of believed in the Jeyne is pregnant with Robb's heir theory.

The death of Grey Wind was heartbreaking too, he couldn't even fight back and Arya had to watch it.

From where I stand, the public reaction to Red Wedding doesn’t seem to be near the reaction to Ned’s death. Now, I don’t have “twitter” nor “facebook” account, so I might be wrong and those two may be going crazy at this very moment. Suffice to say, my overview of the rest of the internet is also very limited. But, the reaction in general does seem pretty quiet, like nothing extraordinary happened. On boards I checked, some posters do claim they're done with the show, but that looks like the only real clue that RW just happened on screens. And some of the first reviews of the episode (Allan Sepinwal’s, for example), only strengthened the impression that HBO’s RW is not the ground-shaking event many expected, certainly not on the level of Ned’s beheading.

Did anybody get a different, or maybe opposite impression?

I honestly don't think this show will survive long enough to cover all 7 books but I hope to be proven wrong. I was very interested in books 4 and 5, but I don't think an audience can be without condensing and with condensing comes faster plot and with faster plot comes catching up with the books and bringing the show to a standstill.

I am sure that they will condense Books 4 and 5. I imagine that the rest of 3 will be shown next season with some of 4, and then the rest of 4 and all of 5 will be Season 5. HBO has already been cutting many of the parts that aren't action-packed, so I fully expect a lot of slashing in 4 and 5.

I "liked" the RW scenes incredibly, but I can feel what some people can miss, it´s still obvious that TV scope simply can´t do story a complete justice. What kinda irritated me was Talisa and her non-westerosi perspective on the bedding ceremony. it sounds how writers are still trying to connect with audience filled with modern sentiments.

Catelyn´s new hostage was pretty hardcore. I loved Walder´s "I can always find a new one."

However, Catelyn´s scream sounded a little fake, to be honest.

Really interested how will look adaptation from now on.

From where I stand, the public reaction to Red Wedding doesn’t seem to be near the reaction to Ned’s death. Now, I don’t have “twitter” nor “facebook” account, so I might be wrong and those two may be going crazy at this very moment. Suffice to say, my overview of the rest of the internet is also very limited. But, the reaction in general does seem pretty quiet, like nothing extraordinary happened. On boards I checked, some posters do claim they're done with the show, but that looks like the only real clue that RW just happened on screens. And some of the first reviews of the episode (Allan Sepinwal’s, for example), only strengthened the impression that HBO’s RW is not the ground-shaking event many expected, certainly not on the level of Ned’s beheading.

Did anybody get a different, or maybe opposite impression?

There seems to be a very vocal outcry on Twitter, with many people saying they're done, that they're cancelling their HBO, that GRR can go …. you get the idea. That and reaction videos similar to when Ned became Poor Dead Ned are showing up on YouTube.

What percentage of those who are done, fucking done, 1000% done, 20-times-in-the-face-with-a-fork done, take-me-out-of-the-oven done with GoT will be tuning in for next week's episode? I'm thinking fifty percent, at least.

Aye, and the other 50% need a book-reader to hit them across the face and tell them to (wo)man up and finish what they started.

Also something that Catelyn is mentioning repeatedly in the book chapter is how bad the musicians are playing and how many they are indicating that they are not professional musicians but archers in disguise.

Final thought : the Unsullied who commented on Sansa and Tyrion's wedding as The Worst Wedding Ever. Care to revise that statement?

I know, right? There was a brilliantly written article from an Unsullied that called the Tyrion/Sansa wedding the "world's most depressing wedding." That provoked me to comment and spoil, and I knew I should not have. (Bad, bad Ginevra!) The article also taunted me by theorizing about what was already written - seriously guys, pick up a book. That's when I searched out for this haven of the Sullied, to find my kindred spirits.