[Book Spoilers] EP309 Discussion

Ran

I cared about Talissa dying. I thought it was touching she wanted to call the child Eddard if it was a boy. Just made it worse that she had to die. I don't mind the changes. I think it's understandable that Cat didn't scratch her face like hell, so that when she becomes LS she doesn't have to go through all that make-up over and over again. Same idea as with Tyrion. They didn't badly wound him because you would have to alter his face with CGI every time he appears on screen.

I think you have to be a real and almost sick fanatic to not reckoning the awesomeness in this episode.

People have 3 problems:

1) They are too fans of the book. Obsession is a bad thing

2) They absolutely don't understand that TV is a media FAR DIFFERENT than the books. They imagine every singles scene in their heads they have read and are disappointed when it it's exactly the same, wich leads to...

3) Zero tolerance. I have also read all the books more than once, and even if I nitpick and have a grumpy face with some changes, I accept it and don't complain like a little girl.

For me the RW was as perfect as it could be on TV. I even liked more Cat's catarsis than the face-shredding that for me was absolutely unrealistic.

People are actually complaining?

Seriously CLEAN the fucking SAND out of your collective VAGINAS

Wow, ignorance and sexism rolled into one neat package multiple times - how convenient!

I didn't like the fighting scenes in this episode, i.e. the ones in Yunkai and in Queenscrown. Especially the Yunkish one looked like sth out of a crappy video game. Too many enemies, too many fake-ish moves.

Besides that, everything was almost perfect. Great episode.

Edited by Cybvep

My nitpicks:

• I think that having poor musicians was a thing that they should have kept. It doesn't cost anything, and would have made the whole scene more rounded.
  • They should have insisted more in how the Stark bannermen were getting drunk.
  • Roose runing away from Catelyn was dumb.
  • Failure at transmiting the sense of chaos during the killings. I missed knocking down tables, Northmen entering at the last time seemengly saving the day,...
  • It was out of character to have Roose saying his final line to Robb with fury, instead of calmly murdering him with coldness.
  • Sandor hiting Arya came out of nowhere, since they weren't able to transmit that she was out of control. Maise was acting just dumbstruck, not crazy.
  • Grey Worm's "bo-staff" fighting style was cool, but completely inconsistent with his background as an infantry soldier.

There's been more disappointements, but those I can forgive because it's probably a budgetary/resources matter. Grey Wind didn't seem ferocious at all, but we've heard many times how hard it is to work with trained animals. The scale of the killings outside the Twins felt vary reduced, and I missed the tents burning and falling down.

Edited by The hairy bear

My nitpicks:

• I think that having poor musicians was a thing that they should have kept. It doesn't cost anything, and would have made the whole scene more rounded.
  • Failure at transmiting the sense of chaos during the killings. I missed knocking down tables, Northmen entering at the last time seemengly saving the day,...
  • It was out of character to have Roose saying his final line to Robb with fury, instead of calmly murdering him with coldness.
  • Sandor hiting Arya came out of nowhere, since they weren't able to transmit that she was out of control. Maise was acting just dumbstruck, not crazy.
  • Grey Worm's "bo-staff" fighting style was cool, but completely inconsistent with his background as an infantry soldier.

Roose wasn't running away from her, he was stepping out of the way of the oncoming rain of crossbow bolts that he knew was coming.

Rather than go through and say "lol" to each long complainer post, I'll just say that I think people are crazy for wanting to see Grey Wind get slowly killed by a bunch of guys right on screen. No amount of throat ripping would make up for watching Robb's pet get peppered with crossbow bolts and then closed in on. That's not something an audience wants to see. I thought it was a mercy that they did it the way they did. To each their own though.

Fuuuuuuuuuuucccckkkkkkk. I knew it was coming. I anticipated for weeks (hell, years). When it was over I just kind of sat there with a frowny-scowl on my face as my wife gasped and cursed and raged - she had begged to be spoiled back during season 1 after Ned lost his head, so she knew it was coming but didn't know

Still, no emotions came. I tossed and turned for about an hour when I went to bed, unable to get the goddamned Rains of Castamere out of my head. But still no emotions. And now, sitting here at work, I'm starting to feel a little teary-eyed. Damn it. Damn it!

The worst part is that the scene dredged up emotions that I first felt - and pushed down and away - twelve years ago. I thought I'd come to terms with losing Robb and Catelyn, but I feel like I've been punched in the gut anew.

Fuuuuuuuuuuucccccccckkkkkkkkkk!

Roose wasn't running away from her, he was stepping out of the way of the oncoming rain of crossbow bolts that he knew was coming.

I dont' buy this interpretation. One, why would he have to do it when all the other conspirators in the room stayed where they were and weren't hurt? Two, he only run away when Catelyn discovered his chainmail. If he really had planned to be out from the room once the arrows started to fly, he would have excused himself before just as the Blackfish had done.

I think that one of my biggest beefs was just that I think they made it easy to sense. In the books, out of nowhere some arguments break out and then Robb gets peppered by bolts. The show had them closing the doors and soldiers running about. I thought it was giving it away.

But now we know that Jeyne Westerling won't have a baby. Reverse spoiler alert???

Also, I want to mention again that I don't think a single TV show watcher appreciated that the Rains of Castamere were playing.

All in all, I thought they did a good job and definitely the best episode yet. I'm glad they didn't have Catelyn raking her face because I thought it was unrealistic and ridiculous, though I did think she looked badass afterward.

I am a little upset they didn't put Gray Wind's head on Robb though, and you didn't see them just throw Catelyn's body in the river. But I'm nitpicking.

I am a little upset they didn't put Gray Wind's head on Robb though, and you didn't see them just throw Catelyn's body in the river. But I'm nitpicking.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's one of the opening shots to next episode. They have to show Grey-Robb. Or maybe they'll have Joffrey bragging about it to Sansa.

My nitpicks:

There's been more disappointements, but those I can forgive because it's probably a budgetary/resources matter. Grey Wind didn't seem ferocious at all, but we've heard many times how hard it is to work with trained animals. The scale of the killings outside the Twins felt vary reduced, and I missed the tents burning and falling down.

I don't think the poor musicians would have added much in a medium where you actually have to listen to it. Quite the contrary.

I'd also say that the viewers can pretty easily figure out that the soldiers' guards were down when it's a wedding feast.

Roose moved out of the line of fire, he wasn't running from Cat.

While I understand what you mean when it comes to him saying that to Robb I never found any rage in his words myself.

Arya had already shown to be out of control as she ran away from him the first instant he didn't pay attention to her. And since when doesn't the Hound solve things like that?

We're told that the Unsullied have to master their weapons, which can certainly mean that they learn to fight both alone and in formation. We have every reason to believe they are more well trained than normal soldiers.

My only nitpick: No face clawing from Cat :( Other than that, stellar job on the red wedding tbh, which is what this episode will mostly be remembered for. I'm kinda glad they skipped out on Cat's comments about the quality of the music, might have spooked more people.

Stabbing Talissa four times though? Whyyyyyyy? Just seemed unnecessarily much.

Edited by Marillon