[Book Spoilers] EP309 Discussion

Ran

Also, loved the addition of the Twins in the opening credits! Quick question though.. right before the Twins and after Dragonstone, they breezed over an Inn.. which Inn was it? Everytime I tried to pause it, my comcast bar was in the way :(

Inn at the Crossroads.

3Ob6huU.jpg

I have no real complaints except Grey Wind should have been shown fighting to free himself and get to Robb. It is a big part of the Stark/direwolf connection. It was just the worst because he knew the whole time it was a bad idea.

BTW, now that we've gotten through the RW, aside from just the Martells in general, the thing I'm most looking forward to is that scene with Manderly and Davos.

"The north remembers" is when I finally saw the light at the end of the tunnel. It's when I changed my opinion on what the underlying trope ethos was of the series - prior to that I assumed that it was "Anyone Can Die," But since then, I think that ASOIAF is a grand experiment in "Earn Your Happy Ending."

Not that it'll be smooth sailing through the last 2 books by any means, I just think there's a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel, and the best thing is that any sense of satisfaction we get by the end of the series will mean that much more because it was well and truly earned, through blood, sweat, and tears.

But, really, mostly blood.

Why does everybody want to have seen Grey Wind fighting like in the books? Sure, it is pretty cool, but the wolf effects frankly look terrible whenever they interact with something. This is a completely understandable drawback of the television budget they have to work around. I seem to remember him struggling to get out, and they way he is disposed of is both logical in universe and aesthetically pleasing.

Edited by imbenurnot

whoever wrote the dialogue between robb and talisa for this episode, should have been writing robb/talisa scenes for the last two years. for the first time they seemed natural together, like two people that actually liked each other. if they had always been like this, the whole plotline would have made a lot more sense.

Just an opinion, but he is an extension of Robb and the Starks and it is one of the most moving scenes in the series. Grey Wind never steered him wrong. He didn't want Robb to go in, once he is forced to stay behind by the Freys and Robb not wanting to piss of Walder further, it was the skin-crawling moment of the chapter.

It was moving in the series how he tried to break loose and tore limbs and whatever to get to Robb. So sad and terrible. Grey Wind is the Stark that most recaps and reviews are forgetting when they list the banner men, Cat, Talisa and baby, and Robb.

There are certain things that can get budget cut, but I do wish some monies/time/effort was reserved for this. Really, Nymeria drags out Cat later from the water, the direwolves are so crucial.

Poor Grey WInd was shown to go out in a crappy way that he most certainly did not in the book. The "You'll have to kill me to stop me from getting to Robb" theme was so so sad.

Just an opinion, but he is an extension of Robb and the Starks and it is one of the most moving scenes in the series. Grey Wind never steered him wrong. He didn't want Robb to go in, once he is forced to stay behind by the Freys and Robb not wanting to piss of Walder further, it was the skin-crawling moment of the chapter.

It was moving in the series how he tried to break loose and tore limbs and whatever to get to Robb. So sad and terrible. Grey Wind is the Stark that most recaps and reviews are forgetting when they list the banner men, Cat, Talisa and baby, and Robb.

There are certain things that can get budget cut, but I do wish some monies/time/effort was reserved for this. Really, Nymeria drags out Cat later from the water, the direwolves are so crucial.

Poor Grey WInd was shown to go out in a crappy way that he most certainly did not in the book. The "You'll have to kill me to stop me from getting to Robb" theme was so so sad.

Yo chill on the in depth Grey Wind analysis, I mean don't get me wrong I agree with everything you said 100%, but thinking about that shit in such detail is depressing as fuck lol. I'm seriously about to cry for Grey Wind right now after reading your post :crying: .

Edited by Jon Icefyre

Why does everybody want to have seen Grey Wind fighting like in the books? Sure, it is pretty cool, but the wolf effects frankly look terrible whenever they interact with something. This is a completely understandable drawback of the television budget they have to work around. I seem to remember him struggling to get out, and they way he is disposed of is both logical in universe and aesthetically pleasing.

Agreed, and as I said before I think it works better with the theme of the Red Wedding as a betrayal and a massacre, and not as a last stand.

LOL. I know...I know...

Like my dog today. 3 pound Yorkie stiffening and jutting out his body and growling because my neighbor's shepherd crossed the street. The message was clear: It never crossed his mind he's three pounds. It was more like, go near my mommy and I'll....lol!

Dogs are the best! The dire wolves just take it to another level in fantasy, the love and loyalty and connection with out pets.

After reading this http://insidetv.ew.c...yn-red-wedding/ i think that Lady Stoneheart will not be part of the tv show.

Why?

I mean, it's supposed to be a surprise anyway.

And look at the line in question: "I read the series so I knew what was coming and I also knew how many years I signed for." I'm getting a "tongue firmly planted in cheek" vibe from that. It's not like she says anything to the effect of "I'm going to miss working on this show." She just says she read the series (so, obviously, if she did, she knows about LS), and that she apparently signed on for a certain number of years.