[Book Spoilers] EP309 Discussion

Ran

You don't like Oona acting. You don't see chemistry. And it's okay but this is just your opinion, I'm sure others agree with you but there also people like me who like her acting and see chemistry between her and Richard. Opinions. Tastes. Here in my country we use to say "the world is beautiful because it is varied". ;)

If you like someone who's blank faced in almost every scene good for you. Cat and Robb had way more chemistry than him and Talisa so to think people actually think they do is beyond hilarious.

When have I twisted anything? The last few posts I've been explicitly talking about her acting/acting range. I haven't twisted anything. The fact that I've said plain and simple 'Oona isn't as good as ____' insert name there and pointed out things, like her blank faces, I don't know how much more simple it can be put. If I'm defensive, it's the fact that people like you keep jumping down my throat about this character. How would you like to talk about a character you hate for days on end? Not fun, I'll tell you that.

I wasn't even thinking or mentioning line delivery, but I admit I probably shouldn't. The writers give Talisa the most ridiculous lines sometimes that it's hard to take her or the actress seriously, that's why I was just going off of the range since I'm a little biased on the speech between her and anyone in the show. I'd argue she has the worst lines in the show, which makes it hard to differentiate between bad line delivery and just bad lines she was given compared to anyone else in the show. Not that she did anything to make the bad writing better. (Though I think everyone has had their share of stupid lines so it's not solely her.)

When you do things like go from saying that Oona is a horrible actress, or me saying that I think Sibil is worse, to stating that you think that Dinklage, Dance etc are better. Unless you find the latter ones to be so mediocre that being worse than them means that you're bad it's just irrelevant and an attempt at making it valid that you state opinions as fact through stating something that most think is true. I don't have any problems that you dislike the things you mention about the character and actress. The problem is that you are the one that can't handle that someone thinks differently (otherwise you'd not state your opinions as fact).

And if you don't want to talk about Talisa then perhaps you should stop being the one bringing it up. I didn't mention the character at all in my first post to you, I spoke about the lack of worth of anecdotal evidence and I pointed out something about the relationship of Dany and Drogo. You then started to ask me questions related to Talisa so you have only yourself to blame here. And even if someone else starts a discussion, if you don't think it's fun to discuss it then just stop. And again, I've said right out that I have no problems with you not liking the character. It's you that are saying that my opinions are wrong (or "extremely hilarious" or some other juvenile thing), so if anyone is jumping on anyone it's you.

Okay naively ignore she's a horrible actress with no facial expression range just because your smitten with her.

Oh gosh this is getting ridiculous.. :lmao: I'm done. Anyway for the record, she's undoubtley a beautiful woman but I'm a woman .. a straight woman.

Your opinion.

Absolutely.

* There's women in the show much more beautiful than her. And I'm a straight woman too. So thanks for the gag.

You meant: * in my opinon :)

People from Volantis don't display emotion on their faces the way they do in Westeros. Therefore Oona is actually a fantastic actress.

By the way, I can do at least 25 different facial expressions. I rock at acting.

</sarcasm>

:lol:

Edited by Teardrops

@ExBruinsFan

@Teardrops

@Tywin's bastard

You've been rather busy for the last few hours, and I just came back home, so I'll read the rest of your posts little later on, but for now I'll just answer few earliest and explain why I find Talisa's line that I quote to be an utter disaster. It's wrong on so many ways, but I'll do my best to go through all of them. ("Winter In My Heart", if I repeat some of the things you already wrote in the discussion, it's not on purpose, but it also not a miracle, since we're obviously in total agreement over Talisa.)

First, "You're fighting to overthrow the king and yet you have no plan for what comes after" implies that she doesn't know that The North declared independence, and that "what comes after" is really of no concern for Robb nor anyone of his soldiers. Which is funny, because she's treating the wounded of that army, so it's a stretch to assume that she's so uninterested in their war goals that she manages to have absolutely no knowledge of them. A person that is familiar with The North's recently proclaimed independence wouldn't have to ask what's Robb going to do with the Iron Throne once he kills Joffrey.

Second, she does have interest after all, because she's asking in a way that implies she's trying to mock Robb for his lack of strategic vision. Which is either hypocrisy, if she's interested in his war goals only for the sake of argument, or terrible inconsistency in writing if she suddenly became genuinely interested.

Third, how can she expect an answer to that question at all? Why the hell would any battle commander - let alone a king - explain his ultimate war goals to a girl he just met and who just a moment ago proudly distanced herself from his army? Asking that question in that circumstances means that she's either stupid to the bone, or that she somehow sensed that Robb's stupid enough to give her an honest answer. If later, it's yet another inconsistency in writing, because from the previous two remarks it's clear that we're not dealing with a woman of some high intelligence.

Fourth, and the biggest one, is that the whole conversation is terribly contrived so she can end up appearing smart. And in order to accomplish that, writers managed to portrait Robb as a damned fool, who's a) discussing his war goals with a chick he just met and who shows no loyalty to his cause whatsoever, and b ) he's even unable to articulate his war goals, though they are of the most simple kind. All he had to say to that stupid question - if he wanted to answer it at all, which is, once again, utter nonsense - is: "I couldn't care less for the Iron Throne". But no, he was so impressed with her pacifistic spirit, that he totally forgot about the brains he inherited from Ned and Cat (both of considerable IQ).

Honestly, the only person I can imagine asking that kind of question to a king on the battlefield just after the encounter with an enemy, would be a psychologist conducting a survey among kings. You know, a scientific research of the mental conditions of nations' leaders under stressful circumstances on their job, which is a tough one in wartime. Anonymity guaranteed and all. That I'd might buy. A nurse questioning a king she just met - not in a lifetime.