How would you rate episode 309?

Ran

How would you rate episode 308?  

1,332 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Considered giving a 9, but what the heck, if this doesn't deserve a 10 what does?

I liked how it focused on only a few storylines. Also, it had a bit of everything:

There was some comic relief before the RW. Walder Frey's nod to Robb when Roslyn is unveiled (as in "look what you missed out on"), Blackfish being flirted by some Freys, Arya knocking the old trader out too, Edmure's face when he sees Roslin.

I smirked with Daario's arrogance "I'm the greatest whistler". There was some nicely choreographed sword-fighting for those who love that kind of thing, some touching-hands flirtation for those who love that thing. I teared up seeing Rickon and Bran's farewell. I liked seeing Ygritte's face when she realised that she was betrayed and Jon was never loyal to her. I was excited to see the direwolves FINALLY. And then the event ...

So an all-round good episode in my view.

9 out of 10. Because Roose didnt wear a pink cloak.

Pink cloak might have been too much (maybe faded red), but I was looking at the cloak Edmure gave to his bride and for the life of me, I couldn´t make out any Tully characteristics. Disappointment is a big word, but I would have liked some more of these elements from the books.

Didn´t mind the alteration in Cat´s end, although I didn´t like the scream. Also wasn´t really fond of the impact reactions (stabbing, crossbow bolts).

However, the entire build up to the massacre was pretty great. I read the books, I knew what was coming, but there were times that I was actually smiling. Offcourse not during the betrayal itself. I don't think any non-reader knew exactly what was coming until Lothar(?) shut the doors. At that point, you knew it was going to take a turn for the worst.

I do hope they are going to a better job of portraying the North's love for the Starks in the upcoming episodes/seasons. I mean, why single out the guy who played Wendel Manderly if they don't give him any lines during the RW-episode itself? Didn't get a good look as to what happened to him, but it does seem like the Blackfish escaped.

Not going to give a rating. Don't feel like it with this episode.

Edited by Moseh Khayim

10 out of 10.

They nailed it.

Couldn't agree more. It was perfectly done, I was on a knife edge throughout the episode because I knew what was coming and it just ramped up the tension throughout. The whole episode was perfect imho and Bran's warging was brilliantly done.

I also found the utter silence over the end credits to be more emotional than I expected, I just sat in utter silence for about five minutes until it ended.

Eight, for minor nitpicks and only a "passable" RW.

Michelle Fairley et al did well, but the scene was wrong. Catelyn has lost her husband, her father, Bran and Rickon are presumed dead, with no word of Arya, and Sansa is being held by the Lannisters, not to mention the foreboding she has towards the whole affair (sadly AWOL in the show). The fact that she smiled even once during the whole wedding seems wrong to me. Also, the lack of a Smalljon trying to protect his king, raising a glimmer of hope that the tide might turn if GRRM had a heart ( :bawl:), Dacey Mormont, the Greatjon fighting while drunk, with Arya desperately trying to get in all the while... All gone. I think they wasted so many opportunities to crush me completely.

For the nitpicks, why is it snowing on one side of the wall, and raining on the other? It's still pretty far north. The horses were standing outside, uncovered, and only the wildlings were wearing appropriate late autumn-wear for that part of Westeros IMO.

Edited by lacuna

Just curious, which books did you read?

All. About 2 times. A year ago.

OK, I was going to write something else, but I went and re-read the RW. Really didn't catch the reference. When I read that first, I associated the pink cloak with Bolton, but not with Roose, so that's why it stuck in my mind that yea, someone from the Dreadfort did it.

Yea, it was Roose. Sorry for the confusion. People make mistakes.

Make it an unpleasant, uncomfortable wedding. Make a point of the horrible food, the horrible music, that it's all too loud and discordant and headache-inducing, something you suffer through. It's a horrible wedding -- people who have been to weddings have probably come across an awkard, trying one in their time, so they can sympathize. You want it to end, you want them to get on with it, not go, "Oh, well, here's a happy wedding, it's all worked out in the end."

And I personally thought they did all that. There was tension throughout the episode, you could see in Cat's face that she wasn't entirely comfortable or relaxed well before the point at which she spotted Roose Bolton's armour. The Rains of Castamere being played perfectly ramped up the disquiet and tension and feeling of oddness and I think Michele Fairley nailed that absolutely to perfection.

... you could see in Cat's face that she wasn't entirely comfortable or relaxe

I've tried to find that in the episode, rewatching several times, but near as I can tell, every glimpse of her up to the music features her smiling or laughing or generally being pretty cheerful. As is everyone else. It's not a bad wedding party. Talisa makes a point of it.

Finally an episode with action that is not nudity. With dialogue that it not entirely vulgar or of the less talked about parts of the anatomy every conservation.

Solid 9.5/10 excellent episode got be one of this shows best

-0.5 For not having the flesh being ripped by the crows. Maybe she should have self multilated instead and shouting the names of her dead kin as she clawed at her own face?

Edited by Boi

I've tried to find that in the episode, rewatching several times, but near as I can tell, every glimpse of her up to the music features her smiling or laughing or generally being pretty cheerful. As is everyone else. It's not a bad wedding party. Talisa makes a point of it.

Different opinions then, I found her expressions whether she was smiling or not, to still be a little odd, especially when she was looking at the top table and Edmure. Her smiles, for me, seemed to be more directed towards her brother than the wedding itself and when she was talking to Roose about his Frey bride I thought they had a discordant note to the whole conversation. For me Cat throughout the whole wedding ceremony and breakfast seemed to be uneasy and on an edge without knowing why and when the Rains started playing I think they perfectly portrayed her dawning recognition of what was going on.

I will refrain from any niggling complaints (chiefly to do with how Talisa was handled and Arya) and just say that it was the Red Wedding, it was incredible and they got it almost down to a tee.

The Bran/Jon scene was also handled exceptionally well, especially the bit with Rickon having to leave and Bran warging Hodor.

Yunkai was good as well but looked a bit tame compared to the rest.

Catelyn absolutely blew the house down. I felt like clapping at that ending. Mesmerising.

The slow plodding start to the episode was a great idea. For show-fans, I guess it helps intensify the gripping and horrific finale.

9/10.

Make it an unpleasant, uncomfortable wedding. Make a point of the horrible food, the horrible music, that it's all too loud and discordant and headache-inducing, something you suffer through. It's a horrible wedding -- people who have been to weddings have probably come across an awkard, trying one in their time, so they can sympathize. You want it to end, you want them to get on with it, not go, "Oh, well, here's a happy wedding, it's all worked out in the end."

Psychological horror films are capable of inducing dread and unease without resorting to narration and inner dialogue. The secret of Catelyn's last chapter is that it's basically a work of horror fiction, not fantasy, in terms of the mode in which it is written. George does everything but throw in the boogie man.

Really, TV can do this stuff. Whether the writers want to do it or not, that's up to them. But it is possible.

I feel as if I have to jump in here to your aid Elio, it seems like a lot of the time you're one of the only people to voice realistic criticism whereas everyone else is awash with fanboyism.

I couldn't agree more. I also felt this was a serious cop out by David and Dan, and this season is really making me question whether they actually comprehend the material. They seem to only care about events, violence, gratituous sex and nudity and jerking themselves off writing retarded new scenes.