How would you rate episode 309?

Ran

How would you rate episode 308?  

1,332 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Edit: Who gave it a 1????????

Trolls I'd assume - every episode gets some 1 votes which I never can take as seriously.. and if they are then I don't see why they'd bother watching the show.

I gave it a 9 initially but ultimately I couldn't resist the urge to bump it up to a 10 due to the Twitter reactions & YouTube reaction videos.. I can nitpick plenty of things but all-in-all I was just completely lost in the moment which doesn't happen often to me watching a television show (Breaking Bad, The Wire come to mind which writing wise are a bit better but this story in itself is more suitable to my tastes)

I thought I would cry but I didn't - My heart started racing as soon as the doors to the great hall slammed shut which was such an eerie moment.. I wasn't sure I could handle it again. That on top of Roose's exchange of glances with Catelyn were absolutely fantastic.. a few more of those kinds of moments would have been nice but again I'm not complaining.

Michelle Fairley was brilliant and Talisa's death was a lot more disturbing to me than I thought it would be (and I did, as did many, correctly assume it would be an attack on the womb)

This is an 8 for me, after a long of consideration. They failed at capturing the atmosphere, which is the thing that really sets this scene apart. That Catelyn chapter is full of dread from start to finish, but they actively went against it and took what, to me, seemed like the easy way out: hide what you're going to do until the last minute, to heighten the shock value. Shock is easy, as any number of shlock horror films will reveal. Controlling the atmosphere, unsettling people in subtle ways, that's hard.

I know what you mean. But it's very hard to translate books onto screen, especially if they are a much loved series with charcters and scenes that people love and begin to identify with such as ASOIAF. Most people might not agree but Peter Jackson's LOTR movies weren't better than Tolkien's written words. The only adaptation that I can think of that was better on screen than in the books was the Godfather Parts I and II and that's becoz the books weren't that great and since Coppola is such a good filmaker. But overall this episode worked in terms of the acting, pacing, direction. And there was a sense of foreboding by just looking at Michelle Fairley's face.

I've read all the online reviews today and I kind of feel bad. I felt like they messed up the story with this "Talisa" character. It was supposed to be Jeyne Westerling. Being a purist, this annoyed me. And, the actress was annoying in her interviews with her, "Oh, it's so romantic!" stuff. I cheered when they stabbed her. And really, Robb Stark messed up and did deserve to die. He went back on his promise to wed a Frey. This is about power. Frey wanted a queen. That is why Sansa was married off to Tyrion. That's why Robb had to die.

And, it makes me ill on the casting of Daario Naharis. He's not supposed to look like a soap opera character. Blech!!

Arya & Tyrion have always been my favorites. I hope they devote much more screen time to the both.

*Owner of a Valyrian Steel Sword. Needle, of course. :)

I felt like they messed up the story with this "Talisa" character. It was supposed to be Jeyne Westerling. Being a purist, this annoyed me. And, the actress was annoying in her interviews with her, "Oh, it's so romantic!" stuff. I cheered when they stabbed her. a

My girlfriend cheered too, and shes not a book purist, only tv watcher. She just straight up hated her. haha....but cheering at that brutality? Pretty dark. Dont know what i got myself into haha.

Rosalind was all wrong. She wasn't sad or nervous at all really.

Focusing on Rob and Talisa vs Rob and Cat changed the scene and somehow, though gripping and shocking, was not as emotionally horrific as Cat's POV in the book.

I loved the episode but it just doesn't come close to the emotional punch the scene packed in the book.

I don't see how it could have the same emotional punch since you already knew what was going to happen. I personally loved the episode, 10/10.

My girlfriend cheered too, and shes not a book purist, only tv watcher. She just straight up hated her. haha....but cheering at that brutality? Pretty dark. Dont know what i got myself into haha.

No shit. That is pretty scary.

Thanks! I feel so much better now. I'd keep your girlfriend, she's just like me... only better. She didn't read the books and yet she knew intrinsically how wrong that storyline went!

Thanks! I feel so much better now. I'd keep your girlfriend, she's just like me... only better. She didn't read the books and yet she knew intrinsically how wrong that storyline went!

Lol reading these just made my day better.

Now my mind is at ease there are just show watchers, aside from the few I know, who didn't like her and didn't even know of the change.

Ill keep her, but the only thing is... When it cut to black and the credits rolled, she said "they couldn't have killed Arya too??" That might be a deal breaker.

So intrinsically wrong it deserved cheering for being stabbed in its pregnant belly? Maybe partly since my wife is pregnant right now, I find cheering that really really disturbing.

Copied from the nitpick thread:

• The writing was once again very weak in places.
  • The Arya/Hound scenes continue to be very disappointing.
  • Dany's scenes were literally just about Daario, Barristan and Jorah, and the rivalries between them... Hers is one of the few stories with a central female protagonist, so it's extremely disappointing that she was essentially reduced to a background character this episode.
  • Similarly, Jorah's dialogue to Barristan (repeating what Barristan had said in episode 5) felt a little too... obvious. D&D really need to learn subtlety.
  • The worst part: Barristan silently getting drunk. WTF??? They could have used that time to talk about Rhaegar, but no - they replaced it with Barristan getting drunk whilst protecting his "bright shining child queen".
  • The throat-slitting looked really cheap. Obviously there are limitations with television, but in that case they should have adapted to the problems.
  • At the end, I thought the massacre felt like a shock-moment, rather than how in the books it felt completely natural (like with Ned's death - it was shocking but felt natural). I can't help but feel that D&D read the Red Wedding and thought "WOW what a shocking twist!" and approached the adaptation of that scene with the idea of making it as shocking as possible.
  • Cat's death was very disappointing.
  • Arya running around the Twins felt so odd. Northerners were being massacred all around her, but there was no real sense of danger, urgency or desperation... just shock.
  • Queenscrown was a bit odd too... It never really felt like Jon was in danger, considering that the wildlings basically stood back as he killed Orell. And the way he killed Orell felt a little bit sadistic to me too.
  • Bran's lack of reaction to seeing Jon was a bit strange too.
  • Repeatedly stabbing Talisa in the stomach was just unnecessary.

The episode was enjoyable enough, but like others since season two it doesn't really stand up to even a shallow analysis.

7/10

Somehow reading your posts on the show, I have a feeling that in the episodes that Dany isn't the focus or doesn't have one of her 'I am the blood of the dragon' moments, you dislike the episode and the show's adaptation. I saw you gave Ep. 304 'And now his watch is ended' a 9. Although, in my opinion, apart from the climatic Dany scene, it wasn't that spectacular. And you keep saying how much you hate the Pod/whores reference and if I'm not mistaken that episode had some of it. I'm not a huge fan of the show either but I judge each episode by its merit. I could be completely wrong in my assumption but knowing that you are a big Dany fan it almost seems that any episode that Dany isn't made to look really good, you pounce on it.

Ill keep her, but the only thing is... When it cut to black and the credits rolled, she said "they couldn't have killed Arya too??" That might be a deal breaker.

Yea, okay. That's just beyond contempt. Time to sit her down and have her read the books. And then decide on the state of your relationship.