How would you rate episode 309?

Ran

How would you rate episode 308?  

1,332 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

And, it makes me ill on the casting of Daario Naharis. He's not supposed to look like a soap opera character. Blech!!

No, he's supposed to look like a bizarre punk rocker gnome-smurf with a gold tooth. I can't say I'm sorry they made him look like Fabio instead.

I gave it a 9. I was very excited but kinda nervous that I would be letdown but the RW delivered. It was brutal and dark the way it should be. Fairley was excellent and the guy who plays Walder is good.

On a side note, I wore my House Bolton shirt to the gym today and felt like an enemy of the state.

This is an 8 for me, after a long of consideration. They failed at capturing the atmosphere, which is the thing that really sets this scene apart. That Catelyn chapter is full of dread from start to finish, but they actively went against it and took what, to me, seemed like the easy way out: hide what you're going to do until the last minute, to heighten the shock value. Shock is easy, as any number of shlock horror films will reveal. Controlling the atmosphere, unsettling people in subtle ways, that's hard.

Kind of agree with you. I felt that there's something missing with the atmosphere of the scene. I'm not quite happy with Arya too, I thought it's a bit flat. And the way Roose Bolton delivered that final blow to Robb, it felt like it's a drive-by. But I guess I can forgive those because despite those, I liked this episode and it's so difficult to watch. I was literally shaking when they began playing the Rains of Castamere. For that, I give this a perfect 10.

I liked the changes as well. I thought it made the scene more powerful and more emotional.

Kind of agree with you. I felt that there's something missing with the atmosphere of the scene. I'm not quite happy with Arya too, I thought it's a bit flat. And the way Roose Bolton delivered that final blow to Robb, it felt like it's a drive-by. But I guess I can forgive those because despite those, I liked this episode and it's so difficult to watch. I was literally shaking when they began playing the Rains of Castamere. For that, I give this a perfect 10.

I liked the changes as well. I thought it made the scene more powerful and more emotional.

I felt this way a bit too, but thought that may have partly been from knowing what was going to happen. I still gave the episode a 10 as I think it is the best of all 3 seasons.

Between a 9 and a 10 only because I had a more chaotic red wedding in mind when reading the book. I need to watch it again with fresh eyes, their version was cold, fairly quiet and brutal. Grey Wind not being let out to fight to the death.

But when Arya and Grey Wind locked eyes as he died... Wow, oh man.

I loved the switch from Jingle Bells to the sad young Frey wife. Brilliant.

Catelyn ... Oh, when she slapped Roose Bolton, yes, that.

Robb and Catelyn before Roose sent him Lannisters regards ... !!!! tears!!!!

Everything about Queenscrow except it not being in the lake. But that is small.

Yigritte's face when Jon leaves!!!

Arya and the Hound forever!

Walder Frey, the worst human on earth. So delightfully slimey.

Salt and bread!!!!!

Did I mention Catelyn? Omg all the Catelyn even if she didn't go berserk, catatonic works too.

And the way Roose Bolton delivered that final blow to Robb, it felt like it's a drive-by.

I thought this too. Thought that it could have been nice to see Roose make a big re-entrance with his badass pink cloak. But it was good to keep the audiences attention on the connection between Robb & Catelyn. Plus, it seem like Roose will get his time to shine standing on the roof (like a baws) in ep 10 preview.

A solid 5. Most of the episode sucked but i liked Sam's scene and the view of the Wall therein, and i was ok with what they did at the Queenscrown although Jon should have gotten an arrow in his leg. The Red Wedding was as dumbed down as most of the show has been, so no real surprise that they removed 80% of what actually happened.

I'm sort of amused on how they are turning Jorah into the biggest badass in Westeros/Esos. I'd pick him in a fight with the Mountain at this point.

Edited by Relic

Amazing episode. I've not seen twitter and Facebook explode like that over a drama before. That's normally saved for footy or reality TV events.

It was different, but just as chilling. I sat there in silence for about 25 mins after. Everyone wants to talk about it.

Easy 10.

Poor Talisa!!! That was the one thing I truly didn't see coming. And it was pretty much the kickstarter. That entire scene was devastating. I couldnt breathe while everything was happening.

...and after all that Talisa hate around here (not to mention theories) she ends up gaining sympathy in the end.

For those who weren't touched at least a bit by her death, let go of your nerd rage.

The silence was the icing on the cake.

As per previous remarks on Cathryn not clawing her face off and other stuff. She might do it in the final episode. Don't despair. I'm pretty sure there's still much about RW not completed in this epi.

As for Robb not crying... it's called SHOCK. :dunno: He seemed to want to say to his mom he was sorry for f**king shit up! -but too shocked to say it.

Good points.

I don't normally post but since ASOIAF is my favorite series and GOT my favorite show I have to say that I was disappointed with the "Red Wedding". Not bc of the events that happen but bc of the sloppy way it was done. No attempt to use their medium (A and V). They didn't utilize the fact that the "Rains of Castemere" was the preamble to the blood bath well. In the book that was the best parts. Its like Star Wars w/o the Imperial March. I believe they should have had a bard singing during the wedding. When the time came the bard could start in with the first lines of the song bc the instrumental w/o the lyrics don't do the song justice. From there have the music dominate the audio and have a visual montage of the carnage. No real voice acting but the facial expressions of shock and disbelief from Cat and Robb as they realize they've been betrayed. Most of Cat scenes would fit perfectly included seeing chainmail under Bolton's clothes. A montage of Arya seeing the carnage playing out outside including Greywind being slaughter and the tents of the soilders being set ablazed. You end with But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear showing the stillness of the hall as all guest have been killed. Final lines showing now the rains weep o'er his hall,and not a soul to hear. Tywin getting news via raven and tipping over the Wolf on his battle map. Gameover

I agree! Reading everybody say it was Perfect made me feel like I watched a different show, just going through the chapter in the Books all over again...the scene does not do Justice to it

I also agree. The big deaths of this episode just seemed a bit less than expected. It was good, but it wasn't 'nailed' as everyone's been saying.

I loved it. Really nailed the tragedy of the whole thing, especially Maisie Williams being so close but so far away. Even the Talisa change finally paid off, watching her have little Eddard aborted by force was so brutal, and it tied up one of GRRM's loose ends. Even beyond the RW, the episode was excellent. Bran warging Hodor was awesome, we got to see Greyworm go all baddass on some Yunkai guardsmen, even loved the comic relief from Sam & Gillie.

The only thing that concerned me, and its been concerning me all Season, we still have no wolf dreams for Jon Snow or any of the other Stark children. No idea if we're just supposed to assume it, or if its something they'll get to next season, or (horror) they're cutting it out. I hope they give us something on that front next week.

Re: wargs - I have misgivings on that score also, especially with how powerful a warg it appears that Arya becomes. And Robb did win a lot of his battles through the scoutings and initial attacks of his direwolf and it's pack.

Edited by The Killer Snark