How would you rate episode 309?

Ran

How would you rate episode 308?  

1,332 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I think it was exellent, not just the wedding parts but everything from Jon, Bran etc all was really well done.

Also despite knowing what and awful turn it would take it was such a relief to see the characters so happy as they were during the feast, it made me realize what a painful life all of them are going through alot better cause when you think of it smiles are the most rare things in this show.

Edited by Joe Scallywag

Absolutely brilliant EPISODE!!! Easiest 10 i have ever given, and my first post here, simply had to write something. I was so emotional in the end, perfect, just perfect. Can't wait to hear what my friends who haven't read the book, thought about the episode. I believe it had blow their minds, since it blew mine for sure. And for the end just, WOW, WOW, WOW :)

An Emmy for Michelle Fairley for that that is true!!! Walder Frey also did very good I found. But as for rest I was rather disappointed....I was much more taken by the dramatic genious of the book when I read it. They did not succeed in catching the wonderful moment when the music changed to the drums of Rains of Castamere and Cat suddenly realizing..oh something wrong here!!! ..instead the scene was very poorly made I found..they just changed the music to Rains of Castamere without those wonderful drums who were turning your blood into ice in the books...

And the Arya scene with the Hound taking her away from the Twins was poorly made too. Nothing of Aryas desperation: Help me save my mother!! I have to go in there!!! Instead she was kind of just watching the killing of Greywind and then boooom, passing out after the Hounds blow...which also was no dramatic highlight.

And nothing really breathtaking happening on the other scenes of the show as well...Daario taking Yunkai in the dark and some lingering looks afterwards...you only saw some men fighting in the dark..well...

I found that was one of the weakest episodes of the series so far....and was disappointed because my expectations had run high before. I was much more taken by rereading the book again I must admit!

But...an Oscar or an Emmy or whatever to Michelle Fairley who did save the RW for me somehow!

The easiest 10 I've ever given. Everything in that episode was brilliant. It could be the best TV I've ever watched. Better than Blackwater.

All the arcs were handled perfectly Jon, Dany, Bran, Arya (even Sam), the acting ws first class, the anticipated moments paid off, and it even had some good laughs.

I can't understand those that are moaning about the lack of foreboding in the buildup to the RW - it's there! Just watch it! It's just done differently.

Even so, that should be a minor niggle. If you like the books (as I obviously do) then they will always be better. Let the show do it's own thing and be the best program on TV.

Somehow reading your posts on the show, I have a feeling that in the episodes that Dany isn't the focus or doesn't have one of her 'I am the blood of the dragon' moments, you dislike the episode and the show's adaptation. I saw you gave Ep. 304 'And now his watch is ended' a 9. Although, in my opinion, apart from the climatic Dany scene, it wasn't that spectacular. And you keep saying how much you hate the Pod/whores reference and if I'm not mistaken that episode had some of it. I'm not a huge fan of the show either but I judge each episode by its merit. I could be completely wrong in my assumption but knowing that you are a big Dany fan it almost seems that any episode that Dany isn't made to look really good, you pounce on it.

I liked episode 4 because they pulled off one of the biggest moments in the books almost perfectly. But that was not the only reason: it was an episode without the mess of Robb and Cat's storyline, without Kit Harington's poor acting, and featured some good King's Landing scenes (the Pod joke was a throwaway line and cheapened the episode, but it didn't really affect anything).

I also liked episode 5 despite it only featuring one Dany scene (where, as I noted, she was a bit out of character). I liked episode 5 because the writing was good.

For me, Dany and Jaime's scenes have been the best part about the season (and this appears to be quite a common opinion). The other storylines have been handled less consistently. So when those two had fantastic scenes, it pulled the quality of the episode up. But when their scenes were disappointing (Jaime in episode 7 - his character has been reduced to 'good guy' at this point; 8 and 9 for Dany), there was nothing in place to make the episode stand-out.

Oh and Walder's actor is that janitor dude from Harry Potter right? Argo or Argus whatever...I was actually starting to like him, he had that cool senile humor. Then of course he unleashed on the Starks. Damn that man. I actually burst out laughing when he gave that look to Robb when he saw Roslin, it's like 'hey, she's pretty hot, eh?'

Please, the totally epic old Frey scene was that concerning his twin granddaughters.... "You could have had either of them... You could have had both for all I care"...

The worst part: Barristan silently getting drunk. WTF??? They could have used that time to talk about Rhaegar, but no - they replaced it with Barristan getting drunk whilst protecting his "bright shining child queen".

One cup of wine = drunk, apparently. And how would talking about Rhaegar fit in that scene exactly? Although I must admit, I thought Barristan was going to talk about the sack of KL when Dany asked how long it takes to sack a city.

One cup of wine = drunk, apparently. And how would talking about Rhaegar fit in that scene exactly? Although I must admit, I thought Barristan was going to talk about the sack of KL when Dany asked how long it takes to sack a city.

Did you not bother looking at Barristan's face? His eyes were blurry, he was silent, and he was shrugging. Those are not the signs of someone having "one cup of wine". Those are the signs of someone being seriously drunk.

Exactly - it was a wasted opportunity. The books managed to fit a conversation about Rhaegar in that scene, so why couldn't the show? Dany was anxious and used Barristan as escapism.

Did you not bother looking at Barristan's face? His eyes were blurry, he was silent, and he was shrugging. Those are not the signs of someone having "one cup of wine". Those are the signs of someone being seriously drunk.

Exactly - it was a wasted opportunity. The books managed to fit a conversation about Rhaegar in that scene, so why couldn't the show? Dany was anxious and used Barristan as escapism.

Because, lets be honest, no one would remember it. Its the RW everyone is going to remember, maybe Queenscrow too, not some story told in 30 seconds.

shrugging = wasted

top lel.

The guy had about 5 seconds to say something before Jorah arrived. It's a huge stretch to assume that he was drunk.

I had to think on this for a day, at first i wasnt so entirely sure what i thought of the episode, and the adaptation of the red wedding.

However in retrospect, I can;t lie to myself the episode was simply decent-to-good, I rate it an 8. It might seem liek im beign a bit harsh considering the restraints of tv but some of the changes seemed like really poor choices, not to discredit the things the did well.

The depiction of the red wedding in particular just wasn't what it could been. It wasn't bad by any means, hell i dont watch much tv but it wouldn't be hard to imagine that something like this is unprecedented on television. It's just considering that this was THE moment that made D&D want to write the show, the event the they wanted to adapt to tv the most, it is dissapointing. I expected better, sadly what i got was conformation that the tv adaptation would continue to merely be decent.