How would you rate episode 309?

Ran

How would you rate episode 308?  

1,332 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Well, this episode must've been a shocker to non-readers.

It was interesting to see how in this episode, they made small jokes here and there...every now and then..like they did it on purpose to catch people totally offguard when masscare begins.

Also, by killing Talisa/Jane ..I think it is definitely clear that , in the books, Jane is not pregant (I never bought in to that theory anyway)

I found the Red Wedding seen to be really disappointing, I felt like i was suddenly watching a scene from Saw not GOT. There was no suspense or dread just plain old shock value, as a reader i found this cheap and incredibly underwhelming as i have been hanging out for this episode for what feels like forever.

Some important plot building details that i felt crucial to the making the scene a success were left out.

1) the conversation between Rob and Roose were they discuss the addition of Roose troops to the army.

2) Roose handing a piece of Theon's skin to Catelyn

3) The loud terrible music

4) the presence of Rob's loyal Northern banner men

I dont think the show writers and directors truly managed to show the level of betrayal by Roose and Walder Frey to not just Rob but the whole North and Riverlands.

I am a lover of the show, i hope they get back to their usual high standard

They obviously did an amazing job with the Red Wedding, but the episode as a whole was excellent. I loved the Jon & Bran scenes and to actually see the little boy playing Rickon get some lines. And he was good. It was actually more heartbreaking for me watching those two part that way than the way they did in the books. I cried. I enjoyed Dany's scenes - the look on Jorah's face alone when Dany asks for Daario. I felt that hurt.

Maisie Williams is just astounding from her conversation with the Hound when she says she'll put a sword through his eye to her look of longing at the Twins.

I don't think I can add much more about the Red Wedding that hasn't already been said, except that thinking of not seeing Michelle Fairley as Cat anymore has me very, very sad.

Edited by Mother of Mini Dragons

Just got a chance to see the episode this morning finally. I give it a 9. The Red Wedding itself was very well done I thought, with the tension ramping up beautifully; and the dawning recognition on Cat's face was insanely tough to watch. It was just filled with great little details as well, like Bolton being such a troll with the "hey Cat, why don't you check out what's up my sleeve?" look when he put his arm down and Frey so gleeful he could barely hold his goblet straight.

However, I can't give it a 10 because there was plenty of other stuff going on in the episode as well (which is good news, the RW shouldn't take an entire episode) and it wasn't all as good. In particular I thought the scenes with Jon were confusingly shot (was Ygritte trying to fight with or against him?) and also in Dany's storyline the jump from Jorah/Grey Worm/Daario being surrounded to the city falling was way too abrupt, it really felt like another scene should've been there.

Overall it was brilliant, including the build up - so I shall just list my favourite parts and what I would've done differently.

Best bits:

• When the Rains of Castamere started playing.. wow.
  • That look Roose gave Cat, when it dawned on her what was happening. It said, "We have got you." Gave me chills.
  • Talisa's death and the way it happened actually added a lot to the overall brutality/shock of the scene.
  • Walder Frey's actor was perfect.

Would've done differently:

• Greywind introduced in some way at the beginning without giving the game away. Also would have liked to see Greywind getting loose and Arya seeing him taking out a few Freys before their eyes meet when the crossbows eventually get him.
  • More recognisable Stark bannerman, wish Greatjon was there.
  • More resistance from northmen, e.g. Smalljon.
  • Keep Roose's killing of Rob exactly the same as in the books, literally no need for change.
  • Fake Arya death couldve been good, they must want to use her straightaway next episode though

As a piece of television its 10/10 everytime, but it could've been even better.

Can never really beat the books though I suppose, which are gospel.

Edit: Oh, and shut up about Barristan's supposed drunkedness, which was proabbly unintentional and not a big issue either way!

Edited by Jamie Stark

I found the Red Wedding seen to be really disappointing, I felt like i was suddenly watching a scene from Saw not GOT. There was no suspense or dread just plain old shock value, as a reader i found this cheap and incredibly underwhelming as i have been hanging out for this episode for what feels like forever.

Some important plot building details that i felt crucial to the making the scene a success were left out.

1) the conversation between Rob and Roose were they discuss the addition of Roose troops to the army.

2) Roose handing a piece of Theon's skin to Catelyn

3) The loud terrible music

4) the presence of Rob's loyal Northern banner men

I dont think the show writers and directors truly managed to show the level of betrayal by Roose and Walder Frey to not just Rob but the whole North and Riverlands.

I am a lover of the show, i hope they get back to their usual high standard

:agree: given my critics here already...it is miles below the suspense GRRM creates in the book! omg they even played Rains of Castamere like some background table music....

:agree: given my critics here already...it is miles below the suspense GRRM creates in the book! omg they even played Rains of Castamere like some background table music....

As a wild thought, maybe that's because you knew it was going to happen? Almost every professional critic has said what a wonderful job they did of creating suspense.

It's unnecessary and makes no sense within the context of the SHOW's version of Barristan Selmy. A couple of episodes ago he criticised Robert for being "a drunk" and then said he looks forward to serving Daenerys... And then in this episode he's getting drunk on the job and putting Dany's life in danger.

He looks completely incompetent. Cersei looks competent for sacking him.

where does it say in the books that barristan never ever drinks?

As a wild thought, maybe that's because you knew it was going to happen? Almost every professional critic has said what a wonderful job they did of creating suspense.

I've read the scene in the books many times, and the suspense and tension is still as strong and haunting as ever.

The thing is, with many scenes, one viewing of the TV version is enough to override the picture in my head of that scene, derived from my reading. "Dracarys" especially springs to mind, as does "stick it with the pointy end" and Bran's fall.

BUT not the red wedding, and it should have.

This is show apologism at its finest... Denying something that is written all over the actor's body language and facial expressions.

It's someone disagreeing with your interpretation of a scene.

Edited by Cadiva

That was brutal. It was as good as could be expected for an adaptation of such a monumental scene.

Did I notice tents on fire and horsemen attacking in next weeks preview? If so then I think the RW will still be happening, hopefully we get to see the Blackfish cut his way out of it and head back to Riverrun. I don't think we'll get the kiss of life this season. At least I hope not. I do hope we get a certain dream from Arya though. We've had no word of Nymeria since season 1.

I couldn't reasonably give this anything less than a ten. I was silent throughout the whole episode, Heart pounding when the bedding started. Incredibly well done

I cant give it a 10. When the episode ended I just felt like it was missing something. It just wasnt what I was expecting it would be, especially after hearing D&D say sooo many times over the years that this scene is the reason they wanted to do the series. It wasnt bad, I still enjoyed it, I just felt it was a little off.

Roose randomly running away was just weird. I wished he would have strolled back in with his long sword and have been able to see him coming instead of him just jumping in and stabbing Robb. Roslyn looked way to happy. I wanted someone to throw a table over Robb but he seriously had no men with him. I liked that they at least kept someone wearing chainmale under their coat. The acting was great though. It felt like the scene where Cat is just standing there went on a little too long.

I loved the Bran stuff, that was great. It was awesome that Rickon got some lines and nailed them. The warging was great.

I liked Jon's stuff. A little disappointed that Ygritte didnt shoot him with an arrow. Not a big deal though.

As soon as Sam said he knows about the Black Gate I thought, WTF no CH? Im really starting to doubt he will be in it, but who knows.

They should have left out the Dany stuff. It just felt out of place. Grey Worm is fucking bad ass though. I really liked the 3 of them fighting. Also that Grey Worm got to make his own decision about trusting Daario.

Loved the Arya and the Hound stuff. Those two go great together, in the book and on the show. I really thought Arya was gonna make it to Grey Wind and be the one to let him loose and really wished they kept it.

Id have to give it a 8.5 - 9. I need to watch it again.

Edited by -Ghost-

I finally decided to give it an 8. At first I was disappointed with the episode and felt it left me feeling emptly. But I realized that I was simply horrified by the brutality of the Red Wedding. Watching it a second time, it was very upsetting and brutal in execution. Cold and heartless and disturbing. I can't compare it to the books. That's just not fair so I won't.

What would have given the show a 10 for me would have been:

1. Cat scratching her face and screaming to Ned about her hair as a Frey positioned to execute her.

2. Greywind going hog wild and killing some Freys before being killed.

3. Barristan Selmy talking to Dany and not just nodding like a goofball. It felt out of character.

4. The drum beats.

5. The musicians actually playing poorly and having someone mention it.

6. More Summer and Shaggydog action. Or more of Bran inside of Summer's mind.

Even half of these in the episode would have made it a 10 for me. Still, a very powerful episode and very sad and upsetting. Rob's look at his mother before he died was so upsetting.

GoT will be cleaning up at the Emmy's this year. Count on it. The entire cast is full of amazing actors.

I rated it a 7 ...

I was sooo looking forward to this episode, the red wedding part, and it just didn't live up to the suspense and setting and shock portrayed in the book :(

Watched it with my wife and son, who hadn't read the book, and really all they said was 'that was gory/violent'. I feel like the show went for visual shock value with gallons of blood rather than going after deeper empathetic emotional shock. On the other hand, some of the details were too subtle; my casual viewers didn't get the Rains of Castamere reference; and the only hint of Lannister involvement was the Roose's whispered comment.

Overall I think they really missed the boat in building up to the RW. I agree with the above that the show didn't do such a good job of showing the magnitude of betrayal that happened here :( To the casual viewer, I think it was just a gory plot twist. I didn't have the gut wrenching shock of Ned's beheading ...

Other parts of the episode were ok

We were all kind of confused with Jorah/Grey Worm/Daario returning to Dany victorious, somehow??

My casual viewers were also confused with warging scene of Bran, and Jon and Orell?

The importance of offering bread and salt was lost?

I'm loving the creepy way Arya is being played.

I have the feeling the plot may be getting too complicated for casual viewers? :(

But it's till an awesome show!!